Too funny!!!

the2ofus

This is a bit OT except that I sometimes go through Wendy's drive-thru on my drive to a port before cruising. I also eat fast food sometimes instead of fancier places as a way to save money in order to be able to cruise:D

Anyway, recently there were newspaper reports that fast food chains were informally in competition to see who could serve drive through customers most efficiently, accurately and most quickly. I wrote to Wendy's to suggest that my time in the drive through lane would be considerably shortened and accuracy increased if their people were taught to enunciate more clearly and to speak more slowly, and if they invested in better sound equipment, reducing the need for questions and repetition. I received their answer yesterday. I quote:

"In order to eliminate any confusion over whether a particular product or new development is the result of Wendy's and its agencies own effort or that of an outsider, Wendy's has elected not to review unsolicited proposals. Please be advised that your unsolicited proposal, although given a cursory reading, has not been given any consideration. Your letter has not been referred to anyone outside the Legal Department..."

In other words, "no one cares what you, the customer, think"

It would be ridiculous if it weren't so sad a commentary on our litigious society.

Dave Thomas must be rolling over in his grave!

Indeed.

Thanks for sharing the reply the2ofus. What the hell do YOU know, you are just the customer they are supposedly attempting to satisfy!

It is becoming evident at a lot of places that the customer is not thought of first. Many places really don't care we if are happy or well taken care of. It doesn't bother them if they lose one customer as there will always be a couple more customers to replace that one lost soul.

My take is a little different... but then it often is... I don't think Wendy's is saying they don't care... they are saying there are too many legal ramifications if the customer's suggestions are passed along. Example: I write a letter suggesting that octagon burgers would fit the bun better than square burgers. Five years later, the octagon burger is introduced. I sue because they used my idea without acknowledgement. During the discovery phase, it is found that my idea was indeed forwarded to marketing and research and there was a series of discussions about the octagon burger after that date and none preceeding. Guess who gets a big fat settlement check to make them go away?

Ridiculous? Absolutely! But I'm willing to bet that something like that happened to Wendy's or another company to cause them to adopt the policy.

I agree with Grumpy - when someone can sue because you both had the same idea (and both based it on earlier work by third parties) then corporations have to take extra steps to insure that not only aren't they infringing, but they aren't even in the neighborhood of an infringement.

My take is a little different... but then it often is... I don't think Wendy's is saying they don't care... they are saying there are too many legal ramifications if the customer's suggestions are passed along. Example: I write a letter suggesting that octagon burgers would fit the bun better than square burgers. Five years later, the octagon burger is introduced. I sue because they used my idea without acknowledgement. During the discovery phase, it is found that my idea was indeed forwarded to marketing and research and there was a series of discussions about the octagon burger after that date and none preceeding. Guess who gets a big fat settlement check to make them go away?

Ridiculous? Absolutely! But I'm willing to bet that something like that happened to Wendy's or another company to cause them to adopt the policy.

Absolutely right!

Disney has had the same policy for a long time, and for good reason. The company is routinely sued because somebody suggested an idea. They were sued successfully for their World of Sports thingie at Disney World, and somebody tried for years to sue them for Epcot. Now they routinely return idea letters with a "thanks but no thanks," just like Wendy's.

--Rich

Since their response came from the legal department, not customer service, or even marketing, perhaps they thought you were offering to sell them diction lessons or to install upgraded electronic equipment. Notice that they refer to your email as an unsolicited proposal.

Or, perhaps, they're just idiots.

Paul Noble

I decided to telephone the number on the letterhead. I left a message indicating my displeasure as a consumer at being brushed off when I was merely trying to speak as a customer and let them know what my needs were.

I just received a return call explaining that my "letter got into the wrong pile" and that it would be forwarded to the Vice-president for Operations as I had originally requested.:)

I went to the drive though at "In n out burger", when i go home i found they forgot a bag of fries, i called them to let them know and in a few days a rep. called me to apoligize, a few days later i received a coupon for a free meal, another rep. called me to make sure i received the free meal coupon and they sent me a Christmas card. Now thats service!

Additudes such as Wendys displayed tell why we live in a letigius society.
I think you have it backwards... It is BECAUSE we are such a litiguous society that companies are forced to run everything through their legal departments before any response is made.

I have brought this thread forward so you all know the "rest of the story". Today the mail brought a very cordial letter from the legal department at Wendy's. They apologized again for the misunderstanding, and urged me to share my thoughts as a consumer in the future. The letter also contained $10 in gift certificates. I am pleased with the outcome.

Archived