What is your favorite dish at Ocean Blue & Le Bistro (Pics welcome)

bren61

4 hours ago, bren61 said:

Do they have just a regular filet that is comparable to Cagneys?

This is the only filet on the Le Bistro menu:

Filet de Boeuf Rossini Beef Tenderloin, Foie Gras, Fondant Potato, Mushrooms, Périgord Sauce.

While other disagree with me, this filet has been ruined by the Foie Gras, ie, duck liver pate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Filet de Boeuf Rossini Beef Tenderloin, Foie Gras, Fondant Potato, Mushrooms, Périgord Sauce.

While other disagree with me, this filet has been ruined by the Foie Gras, ie, duck liver pate.

I’ve always enjoyed the Filet but we won’t pay an additional $10 for it.

33 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Agree. The beef might be good, but the foie  gras is vile and the potato is gross. I actually like the filet at La Cucina the best.

• Like 1

great thread.  I usually have one FAS meal and always choose Moderno.  my last cruise, I upgraded to a balcony room and got an extra meal and I went to Cagney's for the first time.  Had a very nice meal.  So I decided I'd try different specialty restaurants on my upcoming cruises and decided Ocean Blue would be my next pick on my April cruise.  So I'm following this thread with anticipation.  I will have to wear long pants and closed toe shoes, which is usually a no no for me on vacation, but I guess I can make an exception this one time :)

57 minutes ago, gatorchinsky said:

I’ve always enjoyed the Filet but we won’t pay an additional $10 for it.

I won't order it if there is a surcharge & also if they won't eliminate what is on top, I was just wanting a regular filet. I'll just find something else on the menu.

1 hour ago, bren61 said:

I won't order it if there is a surcharge & also if they won't eliminate what is on top, I was just wanting a regular filet. I'll just find something else on the menu.

Even if they do scrape the foie gras off the top, I won't eat it.  I hate liver that badly.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Even if they do scrape the foie gras off the top, I won't eat it.  I hate liver that badly.

I just had the filet at Le Bistro on the Escape in November. I saw no signs of liver. Either they left it off or did a masterful job of removing it. In fact, I would have never ordered it if I saw on the menu that it had liver, fois gras, pate, or whatever they call it  (like you, I also despise liver in any form). In any event, it was fantastic...better than the tiny filet I had at Cagney's a few days later. Also no upcharge or else I wouldn't have gotten it. 

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Sorry to disagree. First, it is not a pate smeared with the smeared on the steak.  It is a piece of seared foie and it is the food of the gods. If you don’t want it, just push it aside. Not sure how that “ruins” the steak. 

Not sure that anyone who is comparing it to cow liver has ever tried it. Totally different. They say “liver, eeeewww” without any basis. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Sorry to disagree. First, it is not a pate smeared with the smeared on the steak.  It is a piece of seared foie and it is the food of the gods. If you don’t want it, just push it aside. Not sure how that “ruins” the steak. 

Not sure that anyone who is comparing it to cow liver has ever tried it. Totally different. They say “liver, eeeewww” without any basis. 

It ruins this entree as it is contaminated with liver.  Since the pate is cooked on top of the filet the cooking juices have comingled with the filet, the pate cannot be simply pushed aside.  Now, I might try this entree if I can be assured that the filet has never come in contact with the pate.

All you're doing is making the same old comment: "You need to try this liver, it doesn't taste like liver."

If you want something that doesn't taste like liver, then why order liver?

BTW, do you know how foie grais is produced? It is made from the livers of ducks that have been force feed to enlarge their livers.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I just had the filet at Le Bistro on the Escape in November. I saw no signs of liver. Either they left it off or did a masterful job of removing it. In fact, I would have never ordered it if I saw on the menu that it had liver, fois gras, pate, or whatever they call it  (like you, I also despise liver in any form). In any event, it was fantastic...better than the tiny filet I had at Cagney's a few days later. Also no upcharge or else I wouldn't have gotten it. 

Here's the current menu:  Filet de Boeuf Rossini Beef Tenderloin, Foie Gras, Fondant Potato, Mushrooms, Périgord Sauce ($10 Dining Package Supplement) * $49

Clearly, things have changed since now foie gras is clearly mentioned and there is a $10 upcharge.

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Clearly, things have changed since now foie gras is clearly mentioned and there is a $10 upcharge.

Apparently so...that almost sounds like an entirely different entree. I don't touch liver or mushrooms (unless I can tell them to hold the fungus...I mean mushrooms).

As for the upcharge, I would never order anything with an extra charge. And I know there was no upcharge because I check the receipt at the end of every specialty restaurant meal and there are never any additional charges...on the bill, nor on our onboard account (which I also watch like a hawk).

In any event, to get the discussion back to the original topic...the filet I had was fantastic.

Edited by schmoopie17

Just now, schmoopie17 said:

Apparently so...that almost sounds like an entirely different entree. I don't touch liver or mushrooms (unless I can tell them to hold the fungus...I mean mushrooms).

As for the upcharge, I would never order anything with an extra charge. And I know there was no upcharge because I check the receipt at the end of every specialty restaurant meal and there are never any additional charges...on the bill, nor on our onboard account (which I also watch like a hawk).

I wasn't doubting your report.  I believe the menu changed since  your experience.  Or perhaps it varies on different ships.  

OTOH, I do enjoy mushrooms but I can't abide green bell peppers.  Red, orange, yellow, all are fine but just the smell of a green bell pepper makes me nauseous.  And, no, I can't just eat around the pepper, just the smell makes me sick.

13 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

It ruins this entree as it is contaminated with liver.  Since the pate is cooked on top of the filet the cooking juices have comingled with the filet, the pate cannot be simply pushed aside.  Now, I might try this entree if I can be assured that the filet has never come in contact with the pate.

All you're doing is making the same old comment: "You need to try this liver, it doesn't taste like liver."

If you want something that doesn't taste like liver, then why order liver?

BTW, do you know how foie grais is produced? It is made from the livers of ducks that have been force feed to enlarge their livers.

It is not cooked on the steak. It is pan seared as a separate item. Clearly you have never seen the dish. I have ordered it 3 times in the last year. You can ask them just for a steak. And it isn’t “liver” like a slab of calves liver in a diner. 

Anyways, because of the sauce and cook, the Filet at Bistro far superior to the piece of meat at Cagney’s. 

They used to serve Foie on the dinner at the Supper Club paid dinner show on the Escape. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It is not cooked on the steak. It is pan seared as a separate item. Clearly you have never seen the dish. I have ordered it 3 times in the last year. You can ask them just for a steak. And it isn’t “liver” like a slab of calves liver in a diner. 

Anyways, because of the sauce and cook, the Filet at Bistro far superior to the piece of meat at Cagney’s. 

They used to serve Foie on the dinner at the Supper Club paid dinner show on the Escape. 

Once the pate comes in contact with the steak, the steak is ruined.  This extends to if they're cooked on the same grill.  I guess my tastes in food are just not refined enough to appreciate pate foie gras.   FWIW, my wife refuses to  eat steak at any restuarant since she has never found a steak place that produces a steak as fine as mine.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I always look forward to Escargot in Le Bistro.  Dipping the bread in the left over butter/garlic sauce.  I can make a meal of that alone!

My wife loves the escargot and the steak tartare.  I don't find either attractive.  I probably will order one so wife can have two appetizers.  

Edited by RocketMan275

On 1/5/2023 at 3:13 PM, wally4ever said:

When I went to Ocean Blue, I just got the fresh Sea Bass.  Nothing fancy, just well-cooked, fresh fish.  It was delicious.

Any pictures of the Black Sea Bass? I see that the new menu (https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Fleet_Ocean-Blue_Dinnner_Mobile-Menu_010123.pdf) replaces some of the other fresh selections that were offered on the 2022 menu. Also comments on the Norwegian Salmon and North Atlantic Cod - or pictures would be welcome.

Edited by wacruiselover

On 1/8/2023 at 11:13 AM, RocketMan275 said:

Here's the current menu:  Filet de Boeuf Rossini Beef Tenderloin, Foie Gras, Fondant Potato, Mushrooms, Périgord Sauce ($10 Dining Package Supplement) * $49

The Foie has been on the menu since NCL upgraded the Filet with the Foie in August 2021 (well over a year ago). And in the well over a year since, there have been no complaints. 

Edited by BirdTravels

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

The Foie has been on the menu since NCL upgraded the Filet with the Foie in August 2021 (well over a year ago). And in the well over a year since, there have been no complaints. 

Do you mean there have been no complaints that  you've heard of?

Adding the Foie was a downgrade, not an 'upgrade'.  It makes the filet inedible.

1 hour ago, wacruiselover said:

Any pictures of the Black Sea Bass? I see that the new menu (https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Fleet_Ocean-Blue_Dinnner_Mobile-Menu_010123.pdf) replaces some of the other fresh selections that were offered on the 2022 menu. Also comments on the Norwegian Salmon and North Atlantic Cod - or pictures would be welcome.

May be an image of food