Using a VPN with NCL Wi-Fi?

Turtles06

We'll be sailing on the Gem shortly, and I would appreciate hearing about recent experiences with using a VPN with NCL Wi-Fi  -- is it still the case on NCL that a VPN will work if you have the PREMIUM unlimited Wi-Fi, and only with that package?   My search here returned at least one thread with a screenshot from last summer of NCL's description of the Premium unlimited package, and it specifically said "including VPN," but neither the description now of that package in my NCL account on line or on the app mentions using a VPN.  

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with fairly recent knowledge about this.  I'd like to get the least expensive Wi-Fi package that allows use of a VPN, and have no need for the Premium package if it doesn't allow it.  (I use NORD VPN, if that matters to the answer.)

I'll add one more question:  is Wi-Fi calling only (still) available with the Premium package?

Thanks for any info, tips, or advice!

7 minutes ago, hallux said:

What I'm seeing still includes that wording - 

Thanks!  Silly me, I'd been looking at the package descriptions in my account where NCL is trying to sell them to me, and those descriptions are different.  🤣

I notice that NCL uses this strange wording re the VPN, placing it within the access to email only:  "This Unlimited Premium Wi-Fi package gives you access to unlimited web surfing, email access (including VPN), social media access, all apps."

I have to believe that this was just poorly written by NCL and that once you have logged on using a VPN, you are accessing the internet through the VPN for all purposes and not just for email access.  I can't even imagine how a system could even impose those limitations, but can someone please confirm that the VPN works for all internet access?  (It would be pretty useless if it didn't.) 

Thanks!!

18 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I have to believe that this was just poorly written by NCL and that once you have logged on using a VPN, you are accessing the internet through the VPN for all purposes and not just for email access.  I can't even imagine how a system could even impose those limitations, but can someone please confirm that the VPN works for all internet access?  (It would be pretty useless if it didn't.) 

You are correct - NCL can't modify how your work-controlled VPN functions.  The VPN creates a secure 'tunnel', NCL can't see and restrict what is going through said tunnel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would say to try the lower package first, we had both the unlimited and premium unlimited and other than streaming did not see any difference my wife was able to make wifi calls on her iphone as well as receive calls.  I did not try VPN but it seems they just block sites so I would try to set up one of the lesser known  VPN sites  and see if that works.  You can always upgrade your package.

Depending on where we were on the cruise across the Atlantic for the first part we showed as being in Spain then it changed to Florida.   The Florida part was weird since we  were in South America!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

You are correct - NCL can't modify how your work-controlled VPN functions.  The VPN creates a secure 'tunnel', NCL can't see and restrict what is going through said tunnel.

Thanks. That was certainly my understanding of how VPN works.  It’s a shame NCL can’t communicate better. 🙃🤣🙃

49 minutes ago, fredflint said:

I did not try VPN but it seems they just block sites so I would try to set up one of the lesser known  VPN sites  and see if that works.

A work VPN doesn't work like that.  Also, it's not just sites.  They can block the port used for the VPN so as to prevent it from working unless you pay for the plan that doesn't block the port.

• Like 1

A quick check showed port 443 which is https so that should not be an issue but again it depends I did not check all VPNs.  They seems to be more concerned with charging more for streaming.  Not sure how well streaming would work with a VPN at least when I was on Star a month ago I was lucky if we could watch a show for 15 minutes without pausing or just dying!

Again just try it it could vary ship to ship too!

13 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks. That was certainly my understanding of how VPN works.  It’s a shame NCL can’t communicate better. 🙃🤣🙃

NCL can't communicate much better because there are so many variables involved and so many different configurations of VPN, that it would be impossible to create a standard response that covers every possibility.

13 hours ago, hallux said:

A work VPN doesn't work like that.  Also, it's not just sites.  They can block the port used for the VPN so as to prevent it from working unless you pay for the plan that doesn't block the port.

A lot of VPNs, even work VPNs, can work over port 80 or 443 (http or https), which wouldn't be blocked by the ship's security measures under normal circumstances.  Some VPNs do operate on other ports, which can be blocked, though.

4 hours ago, Nilbog said:

NCL can't communicate much better because there are so many variables involved and so many different configurations of VPN, that it would be impossible to create a standard response that covers every possibility.

My point regarding NCL’s flawed communication in this instance was that NCL’s description of the Premium package erroneously suggests that a VPN could only be used to access email and nothing else. No need to have written the statement that way, it was a misuse of a parenthetical by an untalented writer. It should more accurately say that the package gives you unlimited access to the internet, including through a VPN if you use one.

I used PureVPN on the regular unlimited package to access a UK website while on the Breakaway in December, I had no problem using the VPN but I was only accessing a regional restricted website so my traffic was low.

• Thanks 1

I just got off the Breakaway and had the premium internet for streaming and needed a vpn as I wanted to watch the college football playoff games on FuboTV.  I happened to use NordVPN and  it worked fine on my iPhone. My iPad was flakey with the internet/vpn setup, but I got it to work on the first day. At least I had the iPhone working great so I could watch the games.

side note.  Breakaway is using Starlink, so streaming was great.   I only buffered rarely. When we were in Roatan, way south, I think we were out of Starlink coverage and we were on old school satellite and I was not streaming there. They need to get Starlink on all ships if the coverage is there. It was great for streaming. 

• Thanks 1