“the Big One”! World Cruise on Sojourn

shark b8

8 hours ago, brlight said:

can you discuss activities during the sea days and also entertainment highlights?  Thanks!

Most of what I’d mention are the Salon “Conversations” speakers, which so far we’ve been very impressed with.  Captain Paul Eschenfelder has been onboard with us more than once, I remember him from our first extended Seabourn cruise, Singapore-Athens in 2013. Aviation expert, also knowledgeable about seagoing stuff, navigation, etc.  Lord Digby Jones was a Trade Rep in the UK, and was delightfully funny, skewering just about everyone in his talks, gently of course.  (I remember one line - he had just delivered a zinger about France and got a groan/laugh from us, and protested, “no don’t get me wrong, I love the French people!  Look, see, I even carry their national flag around!”  Reached into his pocket and pulled out a white handkerchief.  🤣    Just since Papeete, Dr Mireya Mayor has come aboard, a primatologist and National Geographic rep, she discovered a brand new species in Madagascar.  We really like the (almost) daily lectures, and they’re particularly appreciated when there are so many sea days for a long stretch, such is the case with fully sailing the Pacific.  Then there is the wildly popular trivia contest in Club, most every day at noon.  As to nightly entertainment, I have to recuse myself, that’s one area in which we don’t partake, but overheard comments are almost always positive.  There are a wealth of more targeted offerings through the day - needlepoint seminars, yoga, jewelry-oriented presentations (in concert with the onboard store) etc, but again, can’t really offer personal observations there.

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Flamin_June said:

perhaps it was because there was little or no breeze to blow away the cigar smoke?

Or humidity is bad for cigars?

However, hot and humid = sultry - sounds like the pefect thing to complement a late night sip.

Don’t really know, when I got there at the appointed hour, the sign had been posted, and a couple of other men were turning around and heading back.  If I had to guess, I’d say that, considering that the weather looked like it was really trying to rain, and since cigar-smoking was involved, they might have decided to just cancel, as they couldn’t just move the whole thing inside anywhere, for obvious reasons.  Humidity shouldn’t have been a factor, humidors usually keep cigars stored at around 75% but just taking them out to smoke on a humid night cant be a problem. If they try again, I’ll report again!

Edited by shark b8

As I think about it, maybe that was part of the reason that they scheduled it for so late at night - by that point most people are getting close to shutting down for the night, so only relatively die-hard smoker-types would figure to be out & about, lessening the possibility for complaints about the smoke.  Just thinkin’ out loud here….

• Like 1

Hello to all already on board.

I'm trying to find out whether those of you going as far as Cape Town have had to present proof of yellow fever vaccination, at/before boarding, because of the calls in Kenya & Tanzania.

Having checked in UK I have discovered that now, if you have had one YF vaccination, no matter how long ago, you do not need another. Further, YF vaccination is contra-indicated for people over 60, becaue of possible "complications". (Read brain damage!)

What is/has been Seabourn's attitude?

2 hours ago, Belami said:

I'm trying to find out whether those of you going as far as Cape Town have had to present proof of yellow fever vaccination, at/before boarding, because of the calls in Kenya & Tanzania.

Having checked in UK I have discovered that now, if you have had one YF vaccination, no matter how long ago, you do not need another. Further, YF vaccination is contra-indicated for people over 60, becaue of possible "complications". (Read brain damage!)

They'll take everyone's money with or without complications.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Belami said:

We were asked to bring proof of our yellow fever vaccination to the Square. They made copies, and that was it. Haven’t heard since. 

we are joining this cruise Bali to Barcelona.

received the following notification from Seabourn re: YF on 15 February

VACCINATION NOTIFICATION Please be advised that a Yellow Fever vaccination is an International health requirement for all persons on this itinerary and a valid, original certificate for Yellow Fever or waiver must be presented during check-in. The Yellow Fever vaccine must be given before your trip and is good for life. Guests ages 60 and above may produce a written waiver from their doctor. If you have a medical contraindication to the vaccine, you must bring a signed exemption letter issued by a licensed medical doctor. Please note photocopies are not acceptable. Failure to present valid proof of Yellow Fever vaccination or a waiver or exemption letter may result in denial of boarding. For more information about Yellow Fever, please visit https://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever While traveling, we advise taking precautions to help prevent mosquito bites, such as covering exposed skin, and using insect repellent

18 hours ago, Belami said:

….I'm trying to find out whether those of you going as far as Cape Town have had to present proof of yellow fever vaccination, at/before boarding, because of the calls in Kenya & Tanzania

I know that I made sure we had our YF vax cert’s from an Africa visit years ago, and I *think* I remember either attaching copies to a Seabourn email inquiry somewhere along the line, or somehow attaching them to the online “Guest Registration” business one can do in one’s account prior to boarding.  Haven’t been advised of any need to show them again since we sailed (and have heard/seen no general inquiries about the matter), so I assume we’re all current, but I did make sure we are traveling with the doc’s, in case there’s any need. 

Thank you, comparto, for citing Seabourn’s “original only, no photocopy” language - it reminded me that I did get such a notice by email (quite a long while ago) and that’s what triggered me into making sure we had our original cert’s, and have them with us now.

Edited by shark b8

So, re the whole wifi business……🤬

The wifi today has not been dramatically better, like I reported a day or two ago.  As a matter of fact, it was non-existent.  I went to the Square this afternoon and was told it would come back “after we sail away from Fiji”.  (To be fair, I remember there was an announcement this morning over the ship PA, and I didn’t hear it, so perhaps we were warned and I didn't hear it).  We’re now sailing away from Fiji and it has only now (10:45p) re-appeared.  For those who tend to have some reliance on wifi, just reporting the news.  For those who are largely ambivalent about it - no harm, no foul.  For those who insist (sometimes rather loudly) that connectivity is more of a problem than a blessing…..you win.  This round. 

Edited by shark b8
  • Thanks 1

So, the weather has finally caught up to us.  First day in Fiji, managed to get to a coconut oil mfg company, and saw a brief local dance performance.  But throughout the last couple of days, it has been pretty wet.  Today we are at Dravuni Island - known for its beautiful sandy beaches and crystal clear water - but either they scuttled the promised “water sports off the marina” day or just not many people have taken them up on it, not sure which.  I also would have bet good money they planned to do the whole “Caviar in the Surf” thing here, but Mother Nature said “not so fast….”   😥

248E7007-8232-44DC-A416-7611D297617F.thumb.jpeg.c36f21be93f06ecee7a053f8feda7e32.jpeg

8E99105B-17AB-4A33-94F1-B8708002E00F.thumb.jpeg.5bbae29ec2cbc5f7ae1f500b4f51fce9.jpeg

470A2095-EF12-4B56-9B92-FAEF36036EAD.thumb.jpeg.f25f1c6cb66e7791da8da39321e9aff5.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, shark b8 said:

- but either they scuttled the promised “water sports off the marina” day or just not many people have taken them up on it, not sure which.  

They made an announcement that it was cancelled because of sea conditions and replaced by complimentary zodiac rides around the islands.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, florisdekort said:

They made an announcement that it was cancelled because of sea conditions and replaced by complimentary zodiac rides around the islands.

To me, that would be an upgrade! Riding a banana boat to be bumped around and possibly thrown in the water has limited appeal to me, but a zodiac cruise to see the islands from the water close in to shore would float my boat! 🙂

• Like 3

On 2/18/2023 at 7:08 PM, cruiseej said:

Riding a banana boat to be bumped around and possibly thrown in the water has limited appeal to me

I dunno…..sounds like fun to me!    😉

Edited by shark b8