Kidney Disease and accomadations

JOHN 57

I assume it hasn’t progressed to the dialysis stage yet.  If it has, you would need to look at dialysis at sea, and make arrangements through them.  It is only offered on certain sailings, and certain ships.  

My father sailed several times while receiving dialysis treatments.  It is, of course, more expensive than a sailing without treatments.

Just now, h20skibum said:

I assume it hasn’t progressed to the dialysis stage yet.  If it has, you would need to look at dialysis at sea, and make arrangements through them.  It is only offered on certain sailings, and certain ships.  

My father sailed several times while receiving dialysis treatments.  It is, of course, more expensive than a sailing without treatments.

Hello and thank you.  No, I am not at dialysis stage asof yet, but I do have to diet, so as not go through that.

Yes, the head waiter in the MDR will meet with to discuss diet with you.

Sorry you are going through this and hopefully can avoid having to do dialysis.

I have a very good friend who does at home peritoneal dialysis and was able to cruise any sailing and do dialysis in cabin while sleeping.  No extra charge by royal and they handle her supplies beautifully.

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, the head waiter in the MDR will meet with to discuss diet with you.

Sorry you are going through this and hopefully can avoid having to do dialysis.

I have a very good friend who does at home peritoneal dialysis and was able to cruise any sailing and do dialysis in cabin while sleeping.  No extra charge by royal and they handle her supplies beautifully.

hello and thank you, I do not have to do dialysis, and trying to stay with a diet.  Did contact royal caribbean and they said to contact staff on board and they would help.  Will see, how that turns out.

2 minutes ago, JOHN 57 said:

hello and thank you, I do not have to do dialysis, and trying to stay with a diet.  Did contact royal caribbean and they said to contact staff on board and they would help.  Will see, how that turns out.

They will definitely help out.    You probably already have a good idea of what you can cannot eat.

Are you set up with traditional dining?   

It helps if you can have same table, same waitstaff every night.   

When you are board the ship go see the dining room host and let them you have dietary restrictions and would like to speak with head waiter when you are seated for dinner.

Edited by Sunshine3601

I have stage 4 kidney disease and have a very strict sodium limit. My first stop on arriving is going to talk to special dietary - usually wherever they are making specialty dining reservations you can make contact with them. Every day you need to pre-select from the next day's menus - they can provide all menus for regular and specialty dining. Then the chefs can prepare your food so you are eliminating the salt and other sources of sodium. Aps like My Fitness Pal help identifies what fits into your diet. Before this i never realized how much sodium was in a single slice of bread. I eat most of my meals in the main dining room since you have no way of knowing how much sodium is in any of the prepared dishes in the cafeteria.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

They will definitely help out.    You probably already have a good idea of what you can cannot eat.

Are you set up with traditional dining?   

It helps if you can have same table, same waitstaff every night.   

When you are board the ship go see the dining room host and let them you have dietary restrictions and would like to speak with head waiter when you are seated for dinner.

that is what carnival said to see staff onboard.