Poor Viking Customer Service - What is my next recourse?

sheetskn

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

That's what I figured.

Usually, an NDA prevents discussion of the nature of any agreement (although they sometimes restrict ANY reference to events, including that there was ever and issue or that a settlement happened).

Hopefully it's the former and the OP can at least advise if this situation was resolved to their satisfaction. I'm curious about the outcome of this one as well. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Usually, an NDA prevents discussion of the nature of any agreement (although they sometimes restrict ANY reference to events, including that there was ever and issue or that a settlement happened).

Hopefully it's the former and the OP can at least advise if this situation was resolved to their satisfaction. I'm curious about the outcome of this one as well. 🍺🥌

Rob - the other consideration is the HQ Executives were all in LA when I forwarded the issue to my contact, who was in LA and was aboard Neptune for the naming ceremony. I have no doubt the OP was contacted, and they suggested not to discuss on social media.

In the big picture, this should never have become an issue, as even a junior customer service agent should have resolved it at the first call. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2023 at 11:10 AM, Heidi13 said:

OP  - looking to see if you have an update on getting your booking issue resolved to your satisfaction.

Thanks for checking in.  I was just coming back to ask how long I should wait before giving up and re-booking.  So far, I haven't heard anything from Viking except an automated email that extended my vouchers to the end of 2023 (which they pretty much had to do.)  No one reached out either by phone or email.

On 1/17/2023 at 1:19 PM, formernuke said:

I really do think that both can be true. The root cause here is clearly Viking's in failure to make proper notifications. That is unacceptable and they should answer for that and try to make them whole as best they can. I feel very sorry for their situation, clearly not their fault.

But I also find a contributing cause of this final event in the OP not checking MVJ periodically, particularly if they are making additional associated travel plans. I wouldn't think of not check ing MVJ periodically (typically for me at least weekly) to ensure nothing has changed. Things do happen, including email systems screwups (not the case here); for example I failed to get a notification of a change from Viking and noticed it on MVJ. I called and they said they sent the email. I stayed on the line with them watching my email and had them resend. I didn't get it. After about 5 minutes I had them send another one and promptly got that one. This is of course just one small example of the types of things that can happen. A prudent traveler is best served by taking the 30 seconds needed to do a quick check. In this particular case, the issue would have been somewhat mitigated by the OP likely having found out months earlier and been able to change their plans.

OP here - Formernuke, can I ask, are you retired?  Most people do not have time to log into a website weekly to check on something that is happening in a year, especially because I would not have dreamed that my cruise could be cancelled with no notice.  I have a family, work full-time and am busy with the here and now.  If logging in 7 months in advance wasn't enough, I am not sure what to do about that.  But I guess that "I am not prudent."  Lesson learned...

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, sheetskn said:

Thanks for checking in.  I was just coming back to ask how long I should wait before giving up and re-booking.  So far, I haven't heard anything from Viking except an automated email that extended my vouchers to the end of 2023 (which they pretty much had to do.)  No one reached out either by phone or email.

So sorry, I was unable to assist, as I did receive confirmation he forwarded the issue to the office. Based on a recent experience I had with the L/A office, I wasn't impressed with either of the 2 senior managers I dealt with, after forwarding the issue to Basle.

Probably best to write them off and re-book.

Good luck with a future booking.

2 hours ago, sheetskn said:

OP here - Formernuke, can I ask, are you retired?  Most people do not have time to log into a website weekly to check on something that is happening in a year, especially because I would not have dreamed that my cruise could be cancelled with no notice.  I have a family, work full-time and am busy with the here and now.  If logging in 7 months in advance wasn't enough, I am not sure what to do about that.  But I guess that "I am not prudent."  Lesson learned...

I disagree. Most people who are investing thousands in a Viking cruise make the time - we’re talking a minute a week - to check MVJ. As Formernuke states, it’s especially important when you’re coordinating outside modules of your cruise. We all are with you that Viking was wrong in not assuring you received the cancellation email - and you should receive consideration - but expecting compensation for your time is a bit much. I had a situation last year where my return home was delayed 4 days. I had to miss work and a doctor’s appointment  - but I wouldn’t expect compensation for non-Viking expenses.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

I disagree. Most people who are investing thousands in a Viking cruise make the time - we’re talking a minute a week - to check MVJ. As Formernuke states, it’s especially important when you’re coordinating outside modules of your cruise. We all are with you that Viking was wrong in not assuring you received the cancellation email - and you should receive consideration - but expecting compensation for your time is a bit much. I had a situation last year where my return home was delayed 4 days. I had to miss work and a doctor’s appointment  - but I wouldn’t expect compensation for non-Viking expenses.

Except that this was Viking canceling a cruise without proper notification to the customer.  I have trouble believing those on this thread giving the OP a hard time would not feel exactly the same way if it happened to you.  I certainly don’t look at my Viking journey a year in advance just to “check in”. I go in when I’m notified that it’s time to schedule something etc.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jasardeax said:

Conjecture?

Or this a fact that one could

find written somewhere?

The OP did nothing wrong!

Yes, conjecture - just like OP is using. Mine is based on folks I know who cruise a lot. I’m not getting into my issue where I was wronged by Viking. I called Customer Relations, got a call back a few days later, then the next week got a call with an offer that I accepted and moved on. I understood they couldn’t reimburse me for work time lost, etc.

5 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

Yes, conjecture - just like OP is using. Mine is based on folks I know who cruise a lot. I’m not getting into my issue where I was wronged by Viking. I called Customer Relations, got a call back a few days later, then the next week got a call with an offer that I accepted and moved on. I understood they couldn’t reimburse me for work time lost, etc.

OP here - I didn't ask for compensation of my lost time or my outside tours.  I asked for the same compensation that everyone else on my cancelled cruise received.  And I asked for an apology and a decent effort to re-book me on a cruise.  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, sheetskn said:

OP here - I didn't ask for compensation of my lost time or my outside tours.  I asked for the same compensation that everyone else on my cancelled cruise received.  And I asked for an apology and a decent effort to re-book me on a cruise.  

That’s how I interpreted #4 in your original post. Some we agree, some we disagree- let’s leave it at that. I wish you luck in getting an acceptable resolution.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

If there is anything learned here, it's that you need to "check-in" with MYJ on a schedule that you feel works for you.

The last 2 years I have had 8 Viking Ocean/river cruises.  Post Covid, this has not been the same cruise line as it was Pre Covid.  I have seen many changes come directly from Viking, or from my TA or only because I went into MVJ.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sheetskn said:

Obviously, some here feel that you didn’t do enough to deserve what you had requested. 
Not checking MVJ until almost 7 months before your cruise. 

Shame!

Why can’t you be a prudent traveler like us?

• Haha 2

I’m actually quite shocked the OP is being condemned after paying for a cruise which Viking cancelled without informing them and seemingly Viking being made out to be the hate victim and it’s the OPs fault.

No one should need to keep logging in to check in case the cruise has been cancelled. The OP is not complaining it’s been cancelled (they are experienced cruise cancellation rebooked!).

I despair that it’s now the OP fault and Viking did nothing wrong. There really shouldn’t be any reason to log in that far out. Indeed my next booking, I need to log in 3 months before to check flights. There is no suggestion to keep checking incase they’ve cancelled and they’d gotten to tell you. And why should there be?

OP, I suspect that it’s the fact it’s a FCC that’s been used that is the reason the Viking think they have no obligation because they think you’ve been compensated already after the first time so no need to do so again.  If that is the case they should say so, but I do agree that when the CL cancels, you should be offered a similar cruise without additional cost especially given how long ago they cancelled. I know in your shoes, if they weren’t playing ball, I’d request a full refund and use another CL. I genuinely think this is outrageous they think “we forgot to tell you” is acceptable.

• Like 9

Gosh, I made the original "lesson" comment and it has certainly been misinterpreted in many ways.

First, I am 100% on the side of all travelers. I certainly agree that Viking was at fault for poor notification processes, but that does not change the situation that the OP has no trip anymore.

Cancellations and miscommunication occur ALL the time in travel--yes, this time on Viking for the OP,  but also for thousands and thousands of people on Southwest last month (and last minute). One person sat in the airport for eight days waiting for Southwest to give him a new ticket. As I said, that would never be me--either I would buy a ticket on another airline or rent a car, etc. And yes, I have had to undertake many diverse options when I have had flights cancelled while I was traveling. That's why I always recommend carrying an emergency credit card in addition to purchasing travel insurance. Flexibility and emotional cool can always help with challenging travel situations.

Sometimes it is up to you, the traveler, to figure out what is most expeditious for you at the moment instead of waiting for the big company to hold your hand or solve it, and then come back for compensation later. 

I agree that the OP is owed whatever is due to him the same as others--but if the cruises are almost sold out and the hotels are prepaid, it is important to make the decision to either go or stay.

The lesson is that travel is an investment of your money and your time--I regularly check my bank statements, my credit cards, my tax paperwork, AND my travel plans.  

I never stated to check your travel arrangements weekly, although some may, but I think NOT checking anything for eight months to a year is a bit naive, or overly trusting, or careless. This is even more critical when a trip is booked a year or two in advance--governments have risen and fallen, pandemics have occurred, etc. in that timeline.  I still have not been able to rebook my China river cruise that I had reserved back in 2019 for 2020--I finally gave up and used the funds to travel to Iceland just a few months ago.  

If you want to act as your own travel agent then you need to take on the same level of responsibility ---a travel agent who did not check on my bookings every few weeks or months to make sure everything was in order would surely be fired.

I  do wish the OP the best, and I hope Viking will come through with some nice offers. I would certainly push for voucher amounts above and beyond as compensation, but that could take a while.  Another option is to take a different cruise line to coordinate with the land arrangements, and then use the Viking vouchers down the road. There are always many opportunities in leisure travel around the world.

• Like 4

LibertyBella - excellent post. On our first Viking cruise in 2015, our flight was cancelled last minute due to a Lufthansa strike. As we had Viking air, we did get alternate flights and we got to the ship on time. Ever since that experience, we think it’s best for us to do everything through Viking. We use the same Viking agent, Viking air, and only Viking extensions if we want to come early or stay late. I view it as extra insurance worth the difference in cost I might save doing air or extensions on our own. The only responsibility we have is to get to and from our home airport, and the peace of mind once we leave is of great value to us.

• Like 1

We had a situation in 2020 that very nearly went as badly as the OP's unfortunately story.

We wanted to try a Viking ocean cruise, after enjoying a river cruise, but we'd never done any cruising, so I selected the shortest/cheapest cruise that Viking had, which was a 5-day trip into the Caribbean. Our departure date was February 2020.

The day before we were to leave, I got an email telling me that they'd oversold the cruise, and we were offered a choice of 2 or 3 alternate cruises, plus $1500, plus upgrade to a suite instead of a Veranda stateroom. Since Covid had yet to become catastrophic, and since we had a flexible schedule, and since it was such a good deal, I went for it. We were given an 11-day cruise (West Indies Explorer) in a junior penthouse, for December 2020.

Then Covid.

So our cruise was canceled; I called to find out when it would be rescheduled, and was told that we would get a credit for what we'd actually paid, not the value of the upgraded cruise.

I was not pleased. I explained that we'd deferred our trip, could have gone that February, but didn't because we were given such a good deal. I went through 3 reps on the phone, and got more irritated with each new and useless Viking rep.

Finally, the 3rd one mentioned that the "move-over" department handles these upgrade offers, and that I might get better help from them. She gave me an email address, I sent a plaintive email, got a quick response telling me that they would honor their deal for a future cruise, but I only got ONE shot at it--if the subsequent cruise didn't happen, all bets were off.

So I scheduled us to go in December 2021, hoping that it was far enough in the future that a 2nd Covid cancellation wouldn't happen. Luckily, we went on the cruise, enjoyed it immensely, got our suite (had already gotten the $1500), and I was restored to being a loyal Viking customer.

The lessons for me were these:

1. Keep an eagle eye on reservations; check on MVJ almost daily to make sure things are still as they should be. This includes excursions (we had one cancel in Venice last March, the day before).

2. Don't give up on getting resolution. Call as many times as it takes to get escalated to someone who actually knows something, because some of the phone reps are woefully short on reliable information or assistance.

3. Use a TA. We didn't have a TA for that cruise but we use one all the time now. Haven't had to use him for any heavy lifting, but you never know...

4. Keep every email, make notes on every phone conversation, get the name of the rep you speak to EVERY time and note it in your trip notes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sheetskn

I am so sorry this happened. Don’t listen to the ones trying to lecture you.

http://elliot.org has a list of contacts for all types of travel companies, including Viking.   He helps out with travel problems. You can also just contact Elliot directly from the website.  Sorry I could not figure out how to post a photo of the contacts. It includes Torsten too.

also Condé Nast has an Ombudsman column for travel problems. Good luck and keep trying.

2Bermuda - none of the experienced Viking folks here are lecturing the OP - we all agree it’s not his fault and we support his getting resolution - but we are also pointing out that we need to keep on top of the status of our future cruises.

One important thing I forgot to mention is to periodically check junk mail boxes - good chance an email was sent and wound up there. Very often important emails may wind up there for no apparent reason. This did happen to me with a Viking email regarding a minor flight change last year. And it happened last month to my daughter - she had been communicating with a potential employer, but she didn’t see the offer until she checked her junk box 2 days later even though the sending and receiving email addresses were the same.

• Like 3

On 1/22/2023 at 2:50 PM, Squawkman said:

2Bermuda - none of the experienced Viking folks here are lecturing the OP - we all agree it’s not his fault and we support his getting resolution - but we are also pointing out that we need to keep on top of the status of our future cruises.

One important thing I forgot to mention is to periodically check junk mail boxes - good chance an email was sent and wound up there. Very often important emails may wind up there for no apparent reason. This did happen to me with a Viking email regarding a minor flight change last year. And it happened last month to my daughter - she had been communicating with a potential employer, but she didn’t see the offer until she checked her junk box 2 days later even though the sending and receiving email addresses were the same.

On 1/22/2023 at 1:51 PM, 2BERMUDA said:

Sheetskn

I am so sorry this happened. Don’t listen to the ones trying to lecture you.

http://elliot.org has a list of contacts for all types of travel companies, including Viking.   He helps out with travel problems. You can also just contact Elliot directly from the website.  Sorry I could not figure out how to post a photo of the contacts. It includes Torsten too.

also Condé Nast has an Ombudsman column for travel problems. Good luck and keep trying.

Thanks so much!