Galveston ride from hotel to pier

Jay Bee

For our upcoming Allure cruise we'll be staying in a Galveston hotel and need to take an Uber/Lyft/other ride company to the pier. I called one service with a good reputation to make a reservation since we need a larger vehicle for 6. They said they don't take any reservations on cruise days and suggested I call 1-1/2 hours before I wanted the ride and to be ready when I called in case the car is available then.

This concerns me for a couple of reasons. First, it seems like it may be difficult to get a ride. Second, how am I supposed to figure out how to get to the terminal at my assigned check in time? 

Anybody have experience with this?

17 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Are you aware that Uber isn't allowed into the port? They won't pay the access fee. If you use Uber you have to schlep your luggage from the gates to the port area into the terminal.

Didn't know that!  

On 1/12/2023 at 5:19 PM, Texas Tillie said:

Are you aware that Uber isn't allowed into the port? They won't pay the access fee. If you use Uber you have to schlep your luggage from the gates to the port area into the terminal.

I just got the Lyft app on my phone for this reason.  I also think it “should” be less busy than Uber the morning of. 

On 1/12/2023 at 5:19 PM, Texas Tillie said:

Is this true?!  I thought I read here somewhere that Uber was allowed in  but Lyft was not, but that was before the new terminal opened. Wouldn't the contracts with the old terminals apply to the new one too?

6 hours ago, Jay Bee said:

Is this true?!  I thought I read here somewhere that Uber was allowed in  but Lyft was not, but that was before the new terminal opened. Wouldn't the contracts with the old terminals apply to the new one too?

No, it was Uber that was not allowed in. However, I saw somewhere recently that Uber has agreed to pay the port fee, but don't know if that's true. Also, there were reports of Uber entering the port and no one stopping them earlier.

8 hours ago, Jay Bee said:

Why would Lyft be less busy?  

Because far more people are familiar with Uber.  We met up with people outside our hotel the morning of waiting on an Uber and when I told them Lyft is only allowed inside they didn’t even have the app.  It was pouring rain in Galveston and that would have been a wet walk.

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

No, it was Uber that was not allowed in. However, I saw somewhere recently that Uber has agreed to pay the port fee, but don't know if that's true. Also, there were reports of Uber entering the port and no one stopping them earlier.

Our Uber driver in Galveston the night before told us they are not allowed in. That was two nights ago.  We used Lyft yesterday morning.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 3:31 PM, Jay Bee said:

For our upcoming Allure cruise we'll be staying in a Galveston hotel and need to take an Uber/Lyft/other ride company to the pier. I called one service with a good reputation to make a reservation since we need a larger vehicle for 6. They said they don't take any reservations on cruise days and suggested I call 1-1/2 hours before I wanted the ride and to be ready when I called in case the car is available then.

This concerns me for a couple of reasons. First, it seems like it may be difficult to get a ride. Second, how am I supposed to figure out how to get to the terminal at my assigned check in time? 

Anybody have experience with this?

I'm in the same situation , have you yet figured what you're doing?  Thanks.

Yes. I reserved an Uber XL then canceled it because I was told here that Uber probably can't enter the port whereas Lyft can. It's possible to reserve a Lyft now but it's not at all clear that reserving a ride gives you any better chance of a driver picking up the ticket. So I'm going to wait till the morning of embarkation, keep an eye on the Lyft situation if I can, and call for 2 cars. It makes sense to me that getting regular-sized cars will be easier than getting a big one. 

One recent poster said he waited 1/2 hour for a Lyft pickup. I might figure that in. I'm also planning on ignoring the RCL email that told me to delay my arrival time by an hour. If it's a mess at the terminal, so be it. At least I won't be stuck at the hotel.

I just spoke with the front desk of our hotel (not sure how accurate the info is), but he said Lyft has  contract with the Carnival cruise terminal, but he thought Uber could go into the RC terminal. He also said taxis are readily available. Our hotel is only about 1.5 miles to the terminal, so I would guesstimate it's less than $20 with tip whether we taxi or Uber/Lyft. Anyone else know about Uber and the RC terminal? 

It is long time understanding Uber is not licensed to enter the Port . Licenses for entry are issued by Port of Galveston ( Galveston Wharves ) which operate entire Port and have control over all terminals access . Unless Uber has “agreed to pay”access fees to port property , not to terminals , Uber riders better 

be aware you could be lucky and a Uber get in to drop you off , but you could also be unlucky walking  from Harborside Street . Call the Port and ask ! It’s too simple a task . And report back . 

Edited by ssb

Let me update you all about LEAVING the terminal at Galveston.  What a mess!  Immediately after coming out the terminal I used the app for a Lyft driver to the airport.  After 15m they still had not found a driver so I decided to cancel that. Who knew how far away the driver would be once they actually located one.

We decided to ask where Uber picks up.  Not too far away so we hauled our luggage across the street by the Railroad Museum.  Called an Uber.  App said 4 minutes.  Driver messages me after 15m wait and says I am dropping cruise passengers off and then I will make my way to you.  No dice: we have a plane to catch.  Cancel that.  Request a ride for another Uber.  Says it is 7 minutes away.  We then watch the driver get further and further away.  7m goes to 9, 10, 11.  Where is this driver going?  Had to cancel that one. By now our window is shrinking.  Rapidly.  We had two and nearly a half hours to get to Hobby originally.  Our flight left at 12:30.  We were out of the terminal by 9:45.  

After a few more cancelled Uber rides because the original wait time doubled or tripled, we finally got one.  It was 11:17.  We made it to Hobby by 12:00 and had to book it through check in and security.  

The drivers were accepting rides while still having passengers in their cars and were not accounting for traffic and congestion in that area.  I expect to have to wait longer because it was a busy area.  But don’t show me my wait time is 5m and it suddenly becomes 20.  One of the drivers I was waiting on, messaged me and asked me to please cancel because he had accepted another.  Fine, I did.  I then get a message from Uber telling me I owed him $5.68 cancellation fee for his time. He told me to cancel!  I got a hold of them and told them they can refund that right back to me.

I don’t know what happened yesterday morning but it was a circus. 

Edited by RCmommy
  • Like 1

Uber is normally very reliable and I have used that rideshare in other ports and cities without issue.  Private transfer shuttles and such are not without their own issues.  Waiting around for the last few passengers while others were on time. Etc.  We had more than enough time to account for a delay due to the passenger requests.  It was a cluster of one failed attempt after another. 

1 hour ago, RCmommy said:

Uber is normally very reliable and I have used that rideshare in other ports and cities without issue.  Private transfer shuttles and such are not without their own issues.  Waiting around for the last few passengers while others were on time. Etc.  We had more than enough time to account for a delay due to the passenger requests.  It was a cluster of one failed attempt after another. 

A private one like Galveston Saltwater Moms for you special needs

Not Galveston Express or Galveston Limo

30 minutes ago, RCmommy said:

Neither my partner of myself have special needs so I am not sure what you are referring to.

Yes how would I know that even if you do . 

Special needs are relying on Urber and Lyft to providing your needs on a timely basis . 

A private type transfer for two or four provides the comfort and reliability in a need for timely and good service without others involved .   Recently in New York we used Uber from Theater District with non a English speaking driver, and he was taking  us to airport , and didn't have clue about NJ cruise port , much less how  to get there . It was a joke !!!!!!!      

Edited by ssb