The joy of being a first time cruiser....

Danno

I just got back from a quick lunch with Dave (one of the newbie couple we just cruised with) and a mutual friend...Dave raved on for 40 minutes about the experience. He loved the service, the food, the beautiful ship (Century), the food, the friendly crew, the food, the SCUBA in St.Lucia, the America's Cup in St.Maarten, the food, the beer,...

My point. Want to remember why you fell in love with cruising?? Bring "first timers". This was probably the best cruise we've have in 10 years because we saw it through Dave and Dale's eyes.

I must also point out that our friends gave us our space and we respected theirs. Our simple rule "you do what you want. We'll do what we want...see you at dinner". I didn't want to babysit or feel guilty that we were keeping them from what they really wanted to do.

As it turned out we did a lot together but D&D were happy to do what they wanted even if we chose to go elsewhere...as were we.

What a great ten days....:p

I know why I loved the cruising experience so much the first time and I remember it vividly. I stepped foot on Mercury and having the preconception of walking onto something rather better than a cross-channel ferry, I was greeted with something more akin to a large Royal Yacht Britannia, having seen this ship moored in Leith. That is really how I felt and it was definitely a wow moment for me.

I have to say that this hasn't changed and the added attraction of being amongst the waves and seeing a lot more places (albeit for a short time) than I would ever thought I would makes the whole thing a great experience. Add to that the service, general ambience and the great people I have met along the way and that is why I think cruising is special.

I am a simple man of simple tastes and I don't sweat the small stuff. All that I have been able to enjoy on a cruise, from food and cruise companions to the shows have been most excellent.

I've always loved the water. That helps too:)

Phil

:) :D Phil, I think someone liked what you had to say:D :)

(And So did I).

My first cruise.....well, even though my first cruise was way

back in the mid 80s, I really consider my first one

May 17th, 2003 when I stepped on Century for the very

first time.

I was in awe of her.....and by the time the 7 days were over

I was totally hooked and knew I would sail her again. And that

was true.....I have been on her 3 times.

Whichever X ship I have sailed, they have all been fabulous.

Thanks for bringing back that first memory though.

It is definitely special.

And thanks for starting this thread. The memories

make me smile:)

Thanks for bringing back that first memory though.

It is definitely special.

And thanks for starting this thread. The memories

make me smile:)

Yeah, me too! Nice...

Danno, sort of like taking the grandkid to Disneyland.

I can not put into proper words how blessed, how fortunate, and how lucky I am (and feel) that I am able to go on these types of vacations. I also have the perfect partner. The ship allows us to be together for so many things but also to explore on our own.

Each involvement in the roll calls has offered us the opportunity to get to know people prior to the cruise. It also has given us a pretty good idea of who we will spend time with, The folks we do meet make each trip a new adventure.

The only thing I have noticed about the number of cruises adding up is this; I do NOT get excited, crazy, and nuts from the day the cruise is booked. Now I can wait until I have about thirty days to go.

• 3 weeks later...

And this is why I keep coming back for more.

The people - who I do apologize to at the end of the trip, passangers and crew alike - are the greatest.

The food - we usually have a week plus of great meals - is excellent.

The Service is always - what more can I do for you - the best I have had while on ships.

And I always meet and make new friends.

Just a great way to spend my forget everything at home time.

Archived