Crown Grill disappointing ?

hammo

It was so thin, I don't think it would have mattered!  It did come out pink, close enough to what he ordered,  It was just the thin and very fatty cut that was the worst.  I did try a bite.  And the flavor was probably okay.  but it should be better than okay, 'outback', steak.    The thing is, we enjoyed the beef medallions in Allegro!   We enjoyed the meal, the service, and everything, more than we did Crown Grill.   Darn, should have ordered the filet, cut in half before grilling!

• Like 1

And, ohhhh!!!!   The Prime rib on the last night was wafer thin.   It was very good!   But, if you want to really enjoy a bigger Prime Rib,  order a thick one, or order two!

And, we haven't cruised that much. It has been a while since we cruised Princess.   There used to be a big Prime Rib on embarkation night.   So, if anyone is used to that, it is now the menu on the last night.

We just got off the Crown, One obvious change is food quality on Princess. Ships are back to full capacity now and our ship was full. Food in all venues were poor. Here is a pick of my steak from Crown grill. While I’m not expecting Morton’s, Ruth Chris or Flemmings , I should not expect select cuts of beef in the steak house. This was almost impossible to cut, was half fat and was raw. When I asked waiter to look at it he just shook his head in disbelief. The meal was comped to their credit and I did not make a stink about it, these things happen. Something certainly has changed though.

3D49822E-23A1-4E89-8372-B3E46AAABEA6.jpeg

• Like 1

OMG ! 😭 So now our 3 visits starting Sunday may turn into 1 if that is the offering for inbone steak . Very hard to believe this is from Crown Grill and so very disappointing for you . Fingers crossed for us which is just so ridiculous when you consider the reson you pay for a fine specialty dining experience .

• Like 2

Now I feel cheated, I've never had entertainment at the crown. GRINS!

Quality has definitely gone down, but this is a paid venue, you'd think they'd want us to keep paying the upcharge.

Then  again, we use our onboard and we get a lot.  I only book with promotions that include onboard, use an online TA who gives me extra onboard, we have FFD and own stock.  We all know the onboard has to be used and for us, this is a better meal than we get in the MDR.  Not that I'm saying MDR is bad, it's just that when there are choices between a semi-inviting meal or one that we'll enjoy more, we'll always choose the enjoy more.

We do the steakhouse at least 2 times in a 10 day cruise and Sabitini's at least once.  We'll also do winemakers and chefs when offered.  We like to eat better food.  

That said, if it's disappointing, we'll come up with other ways to use our onboard, but I don't need or want anymore princess giftshop crap. But we'll probably keep going and know what to expect. I sometimes cruise carnival and their steakhouse is even more disappointing, apples to grainy apples.  

And Kineticoh20You got a lousy steak.  Servers knew it, kitchen knew it management knew it and did the right thing in comping the meal without you raising a fuss.  That's the service we DO expect. Hopefully, this isn't where ALL steakhouse meals are going. Because then, they really will lose us. 

Edited by justafem
  • Like 2

Thanks for that pic of the thin and fatty chewy steak.   That was about what my husband got,  If it was even that thick.  Wish we could have changed it out, but we had already waited so long.

I have seen some nice duos and singers at the bar.  The best was a jazz trio, and the singer was really good.  Reminded me of Lady Gaga when she used to do Jazz!

We were lucky to get ourselves a table for two that was not that super close bench seating, and a great server, down in Allegro.  Most of the food was good!  We enjoyed our suppers there more than we did packed in a busy and understaffed Crown Grill, for sure.

• Like 1

My partner and I dined twice at the Crown grill twice in November on the Grand out of Melbourne. I read the review you refer to in your op and had a similar experience.

The steaks were average, not up to the standard advertised (lacking taste and texture). More like what you would get at a good RSL or a local pub. We brought nice red wine with us (corkage prepaid) and had to ask for red wine glasses on both occasions. The wait staff seemed stressed and rushed which did not make for a relaxed atmosphere. They also gave me the wrong starter lol. I put this down to a lack of staff due to quarantine maybe? Who knows YMMV. 

My top tip is to ensure your table is not near the kitchen (the first time we were walk-ins and the only available table was near the kitchen) because it is very smokey. It seems they have extractor fan issues.

• Like 1