Scuba Diving in Galapagos - Celebrity Flora - Puerto Ayora Santa Cruz

babjlb

We are sailing on the Celebrity Flora in February.  When we went to the initial presentation on a Celebrity Cruise about the Galapagos they said Scuba Diving was available through a third party and could be booked with them ahead of time.  Now that I am trying to book the Celebrity Galapagos phone desk said I have to make arrangements independently and the only option is to forgo the ship's tour on the full day we are in Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz. I have done extensive searching on the Cruise Critic boards and can't seem to find anyone that has done this.  Any experiences? Looking for potential operators and if it is worth it. Thanks!

On 1/10/2023 at 3:23 PM, babjlb said:

We are sailing on the Celebrity Flora in February.  When we went to the initial presentation on a Celebrity Cruise about the Galapagos they said Scuba Diving was available through a third party and could be booked with them ahead of time.  Now that I am trying to book the Celebrity Galapagos phone desk said I have to make arrangements independently and the only option is to forgo the ship's tour on the full day we are in Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz. I have done extensive searching on the Cruise Critic boards and can't seem to find anyone that has done this.  Any experiences? Looking for potential operators and if it is worth it. Thanks!

We cruised the Galapagos in 2018 on the Celebrity Xpedition, and I understand that things might have changed since then. We, too, are SCUBA divers, but found that everything we wanted to see, such as turtles, sea lions, sharks and penguins, was no deeper than 20 feet, so the ship’s deep water snorkeling excursions were perfect.

We were so pleased with the way that Celebrity organized the itinerary. Each evening’s enrichment lecture highlighted the unique features of the upcoming port (s) and described the next day’s activities.Their “free” shore excursions were divided into different categories, based on physical abilities, and everyone signed up for the next day’s morning and afternoon excursions following the lecture. Often times the ship would move to a different port during our lunch break, and some days the ship offered three excursions.

We became friendly with a few other active, water-loving cruisers, and signed up together for the deepwater snorkels and other active excursions.

I would not want to miss a day of Celebrity-organized activities and meals, and add in the stress of booking, gearing up and paying for another vendor,  just to dive 20 feet deeper. Plus, if you miss the the ship’s excursion in Santa Cruz, you might miss the pink flamingos, and you will miss the opportunity to share those memories with your fellow cruisers on the last day’s slideshow!

Do be warned that the water is cold year round. Celebrity provided fins and full wetsuits, but I took a sharkskin top, a lycra hood and socks to wear underneath, and my own mask, snorkel, and de-fog. If I were going again, I would also take a rash guard top, tights and a neoprene hood. Be sure to take your gear and go early to the wetsuit fitting appointment, to make sure that you find a wetsuit and fins that will be comfortable for the week. 
Hope this is helpful. Enjoy!

On 1/10/2023 at 3:23 PM, babjlb said:

I also heard during onboard Galapagos presentation given by the Future Cruises department that a scuba option was offered by Celebrity (pre-COVID).  However every time I have inquired on Cruise Critic, I have not found anyone that said that they saw a scuba option offered.

• 3 weeks later...