Global Entry versus NEXUS for Canadians

mrgabriel

Now that the way has been expedited for NEXUS applications and renewals, I'm wondering which is a better option, NEXUS or Global Entry? We primarily fly - never cross a land border - and Calgary is our home airport. About 50% of our flights are to the UK, and 50% to the US. It looks like Global Entry speeds passage through Canadian, US and International airports, while NEXUS is primarily beneficial if you're travelling between Canada and the U.S. I currently have TSA PreCheck and understand that comes with both trusted traveller programs. 

Are there other benefits to NEXUS that I'm missing? 

TIA

Edited by mrgabriel

Global Entry is included with NEXUS, but can not be acquired separately by Canadians;

Can I join Global Entry if I am not a U.S. citizen or U.S. lawful permanent resident?

Global Entry is also available to citizens of the Netherlands who are enrolled in FLUX and Korean Smart Entry Service members. Citizens of Germany, Panama, and Mexico may also apply for Global Entry. Canadian NEXUS members have Global Entry benefits, but are not eligible to join.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/frequently-asked-questions

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Global Entry is included with NEXUS, but can not be acquired separately by Canadians;

Can I join Global Entry if I am not a U.S. citizen or U.S. lawful permanent resident?

Global Entry is also available to citizens of the Netherlands who are enrolled in FLUX and Korean Smart Entry Service members. Citizens of Germany, Panama, and Mexico may also apply for Global Entry. Canadian NEXUS members have Global Entry benefits, but are not eligible to join.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/frequently-asked-questions

Hmmm - I’m a dual citizen. Husband is American but Canadian resident. 

I guess that muddies the waters? 

10 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

Consider the following:

Half of your travel entails entry to Canada at the end of your trip. NEXUS covers you, Global Entry doesn't.

A quarter of your travel entails entry to the US. NEXUS covers you at US pre-clearance, Global Entry does also, but only at a very limited number of Canadian airports. Fortunately for you,  Calgary's airport is included..

A quarter of your travel entails entry to the UK. Neither NEXUS nor Global Entry covers you.

So, you can use NEXUS 75% of the time, but Global Entry only 25% of the time.

Additionally, NEXUS members benefit from priority lines for security in Canada when flying domestically.

While US citizenship means that you could apply for either program, there seems little doubt that NEXUS would be the better choice. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Consider the following:

Half of your travel entails entry to Canada at the end of your trip. NEXUS covers you, Global Entry doesn't.

A quarter of your travel entails entry to the US. NEXUS covers you at US pre-clearance, Global Entry does also, but only at a very limited number of Canadian airports. Fortunately for you,  Calgary's airport is included..

A quarter of your travel entails entry to the UK. Neither NEXUS nor Global Entry covers you.

So, you can use NEXUS 75% of the time, but Global Entry only 25% of the time.

Additionally, NEXUS members benefit from priority lines for security in Canada when flying domestically.

While US citizenship means that you could apply for either program, there seems little doubt that NEXUS would be the better choice. 

Excellent summary. Thank you!

We just returned from the UK in December.  Post-Brexit, they have set up a separate lane for arriving nationals from a small number of countries including Canada.  It was the same lane as the Brits use.  There was virtually no wait before you step in a glass, phone-booth-sized enclosure.  A machine reader checks your passport, you get your picture taken, the opposite door opens and you are good to go.  No special membership required outside of your citizenship.  It was as quick as clearing Nexus in Canada.  We went through Heathrow so your experience may be different at other airports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RPen63 said:

We just returned from the UK in December.  Post-Brexit, they have set up a separate lane for arriving nationals from a small number of countries including Canada.  It was the same lane as the Brits use.  There was virtually no wait before you step in a glass, phone-booth-sized enclosure.  A machine reader checks your passport, you get your picture taken, the opposite door opens and you are good to go.  No special membership required outside of your citizenship.  It was as quick as clearing Nexus in Canada.  We went through Heathrow so your experience may be different at other airports.

I think they started this in 2018 maybe? I know that I haven't had to stop anywhere the last 3 or 4 times I've been over. It's so much faster - that line at Heathrow could be awful - but I miss the passport stamps!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 8:50 PM, mrgabriel said:

That would. GE isn't available for Canadian citizens unless you are working in the US with a Green card.

20 hours ago, Kamloops50 said:

That would. GE isn't available for Canadian citizens unless you are working in the US with a Green card.

My husband (American living in Canada) decided to renew his GE this week. He got it done in a couple of days so for now, that will suffice. Honestly, now that so many airports we fly through have the self- serve terminals, it’s fast getting through.