Silver Origin suite question

cruiseej

For any who have cruised on the Silver Origin in the Galapagos, I have a question about a possible suite. On the cruise we're considering, there are only a few suites available: tow connecting suites near the front and a two midship near the elevator/stairway. We generally try to avoid the front due to added motion and the noise of the anchor, and to avoid connecting suites because of more noise from the neighboring cabin. The midship suites available are 517 and 516. The location seems great: the last two suites before the mid-ship elevator and stairway. But we're wondering if there is noise such that we should avoid these suites. (Clearly others who have booked ahead of us have left these two vacant so far.) Has anyone been in 517 (or 617, a deck higher), adjoining the elevator? Or in 516 (or 614 a deck higher) adjoining the stairwell? Was there noise from the elevator/stairs, or did you find your suite fine? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.  I stayed in 607, so I wasn't near the Stairs/Elevators.  But the ship is so small, and there are so few passengers, I very much doubt you will hear much noise from people using the stairs or elevator.  

On our cruise, everyone was crashing and going to bed right after dinner, so there were no late night partygoers or anything like that.  Everyone was too tired to stay up late.

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

On our cruise, everyone was crashing and going to bed right after dinner, so there were no late night partygoers or anything like that.  Everyone was too tired to stay up late.

Great background about the lack of "night life" and things being pretty quiet in the evenings after dinner.  Galapagos is on our future "to-do" list!!  Appreciate these insights and this helpful details.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

We were on Origin in August.  We had 523.  The entire ship/passengers is pretty quiet.  If I had to guess, 75% of people use the stairs, not the elevator. The ship is small, the pax are active sorts, so climbing a deck or two is the least exertion you will do!!!!

Everyone is so tired by the end of the day.  The main dining room waiters we so used to us, they got really good about serving our courses pretty fast, all we wanted to do was climb in the bed. Deep water snorkeling and kayaking 2X per day is tiring.  Have a great time.  My husbands favorite trip we've done.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The entire ship is very stable and quiet.  But you will hear the zodiacs being put in the water in just about any cabin.  We were mid ship and could hear them.  Never heard any noise from hallway or elevator though. There is very little motion anywhere onboard. 

14 hours ago, mvogel said:

We were wondering if there's much of a difference between the Superior Veranda and the Classic Veranda suites?

Sure. Have you read the descriptions on the Silversea website? The Superior Veranda suites have the "horizon balcony", which means there is a large floor to ceiling window, the top half of which lowers down so that you're "outside". These suites are have more interior space, because there's no external balcony. Your room is your balcony, or so says the marketing. On the other hand, the Classic Veranda suites carve out some space for a traditional outdoor balcony. 

We had a horizon balcony on a Crystal river cruise, and it does indeed give you more interior space. But we didn't like not having a separate outdoor balcony. When you open the big window, the outside comes in — so if it's hot, humid, cold, or windy, the outside comes inside your suite. We prefer being able to go outside without warming or cooling our whole suite. Also, for a trip like the Galapagos, the true balcony gives you a place outside where you can put wet clothes to dry. Silversea obviously thinks the horizon suites are better, as they have them on the higher deck and are priced higher.

We got replies from about a dozen people on the SS FB forum when we asked about this choice , and most said they'd choose the true balcony. And that's what we've done for our Galapagos cruise in 2024.

We had the "horizon balcony" on the Silver Origin, and really enjoyed it.  It gave us a lot of interior room for the large majority of the cruise when we kept the window up.  

We would put it down during the daytime for short amounts of time.  It worked fine.  We weren't bothered by having the outdoors into our cabin, or anything like that.   Frankly, we weren't hanging out in our suite much during the daytime - the open decks above were just too lovely.  But I do recall several occasions of just lowering the window to look out at the scenery, or the water, or whatever.  

The part of the room where the balcony would be still had the teak wooden deck, so I remember putting water shoes and other stuff out there to dry, even when the windows were closed.

It's an interesting concept, and something you should consider.  But to each their own.

Edited by Rothko1

3 hours ago, mvogel said:

Hi - we're looking at going on this ship in May and have a choice between cabin 603 near the front or cabin 617 near the elevator mid-ship.  Any thoughts on either choice?

Just personal, but if it were me, I'd go with 617.  Elevator will not be loud, and you are closer the everything.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 1:44 PM, kimanjo said:

We were on Origin in August.  We had 523.  The entire ship/passengers is pretty quiet.  If I had to guess, 75% of people use the stairs, not the elevator. The ship is small, the pax are active sorts, so climbing a deck or two is the least exertion you will do!!!!

Everyone is so tired by the end of the day.  The main dining room waiters we so used to us, they got really good about serving our courses pretty fast, all we wanted to do was climb in the bed. Deep water snorkeling and kayaking 2X per day is tiring.  Have a great time.  My husbands favorite trip we've done.

I would second this response!  We were in 505 (Classic Veranda), so not very close to the stairs and elevator, but!  The stairs are well carpeted, so there isn't a ton of noise from them.  As for the elevator, it is whisper quiet, but not often used because of the ship's diminuitive size and the relative fitness of the travelers.

Also ditto to the level of exhaustion--my husband and i were straddling either sides of our 40th birthdays when we travelled, but between all of the excursions, we were wiped at the end of the night.  This trip was ABSOLUTELY fantastic.  Maybe manage your expectations on the food side, and be aware of the ecuadorian government's restrictions on food (all beef had to be pre-cooked before going to the ship) so that you know what to expect.  But you will have a blast no matter which cabin you choose!

For my vote, I really preferred the layout of the classic cabin.  There were some folks who adored the horizon balconies.  As someone else mentioned, you wont be in your room very often, so it's unlikely it will matter very much.  Enjoy!

On 2/16/2023 at 3:09 PM, SCWahoo said:

Also ditto to the level of exhaustion--my husband and i were straddling either sides of our 40th birthdays when we travelled, but between all of the excursions, we were wiped at the end of the night.  This trip was ABSOLUTELY fantastic. 

And we are 60 and 61, and pretty fit, and it is exhausting!!  But sooooo worth it.

On 1/11/2023 at 5:47 PM, cruiseej said:

Has anyone been in 517 (or 617, a deck higher), adjoining the elevator? Or in 516 (or 614 a deck higher) adjoining the stairwell? Was there noise from the elevator/stairs, or did you find your suite fine? Thanks!

We stayed in 516 at the beginning of February. We never heard the elevator or noise on the stairs. 

• Thanks 1