Everyday Clothing Alaska Cruise

thesmiths

Have to tell my wife about this Cruise in May sooner or later.

It's for our 30th Anniversary which actually is the day we depart San Fran 5/15,

Probably going to hold off until Valetine's day and spring it on her than somehow.

Kids (26 & 25) are in on it, we did get her some nice layers of clothing, hat etc... for Christmas telling her we are going ti the mountains for Skiing and tubing in Feb.

I think I have the time up on deck covered.

I did get us a suite Aft, so she can wrap up her in blankets out there  

For the ladies on here, what is your everyday wear walking around the ship on sea days?

We are used to Caribbean cruise shorts flips etc...

I'd like my daughter to get my wife some casual outfits to put in the suitcase and am looking for some advice on what to tell her to get.

On the Miracle, is the enclosed pool area warm?

Are the outdoor hot tubs open?

Thank you In Advance.

Edited by thesmiths

I bring athletic shoes that are made of Goretex for rainy days. I buy Brooks Ghost GTX. On non-rainy days - I bring my regular Brooks Ghost athletic shoes.

I wear t-shirts, with sweatshirts over it and jeans. Also bring a rain jacket.

Alaska is so easy to pack for. It is casual. Pack for layers and bring some rain proof clothing. For glacier days if you are going to be outside for long period of times - I bring an ear band to keep my ears warm. I also bring gloves.

• Like 2

I'll add to what has been said. Go to REI and get a good goretex rain jacket and if doing excursions, whale watching, rainforest treks, etc rain pants for everyone. Then the rest is layers. Suggest casual pants, t shirts, and then fleece pullover/hoodie sweashirt/etc. Hiking boots or hiking sneakers are best, but sneakers can be ok if you are ok having wet feet. 

This lets you stand in a downpour on the deck of a whale watching ship with a whale 3 ft from you while everyone else is inside foggy windows, but then lets you shed the layers when the sun comes out for an hour and the temp rockets to 80 degrees in the sun before raining. 

On ship, wear the same stuff you would inside a ship in the tropics, it's inside 🙂

Most people have clothing that would be adequate for Alaska and don’t need to purchase anything. Most places you’ll be cruising in SE Alaska will have temps of 40-60f in May. Maybe similar to Oct/Nov in Delaware.

I do understand this  is a special trip for you and having something new to wear would be nice.

Edited by Glaciers

4 hours ago, Jeeden said:

I'll add to what has been said. Go to REI and get a good goretex rain jacket and if doing excursions, whale watching, rainforest treks, etc rain pants for everyone. Then the rest is layers. Suggest casual pants, t shirts, and then fleece pullover/hoodie sweashirt/etc. Hiking boots or hiking sneakers are best, but sneakers can be ok if you are ok having wet feet. 

Goretex sneakers (or any waterproof sneakers) are fine and will keep your feet dry. Don't need hiking boots or hiking sneakers.

If someone is not used to wearing high tops or hiking boots, all of a sudden wearing them a lot can be uncomfortable IMO. I am not one that likes the feel of the hiking boot when walking.