Are they still doing watercolor art classes?

jayally1968

8 hours ago, jayally1968 said:

My last QM2 cruise was in 2018 and I thoroughly enjoyed the daily watercolor art class. I know a lot of things have changed since then but can anyone let me know if they're still doing them? I will be cruising July 14th 2023.

In September on the QM2 they were in Progress after lunch in the Britannia Restaurant and not the Atlantic Room as in the past.

2 hours ago, jebo said:

Is this charge for the course or for equipment. Seems a little excessive.

The charge is for the kit. I wouldn't know, but by most accounts it is well worth it. Here is what was included in the kit Mrs. Bluemarble received.

Winsor & Newton Cotman Watercolour Sketchers' Pocket Set Paints

3 Winsor & Newton Cotman Brushes:

• 19mm Series 666 One Stroke

• Size 8 Series 111 Round

• Size 2 Series 333 Rigger

Winsor & Newton Watercolour Pad (11in x 14in, 140lb, 12 sheets) 

Winsor & Newton Medium Kneaded Putty Rubber

Colart Small Rectangular Palette

Conté à Paris 2B Graphite Pencil

Conté à Paris Pencil Sharpener

Edited by bluemarble

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

The charge is for the kit. I wouldn't know, but by most accounts it is well worth it. Here is what was included in the kit Mrs. Bluemarble received.

Winsor & Newton Cotman Watercolour Sketchers' Pocket Set Paints

3 Winsor & Newton Cotman Brushes:

• 19mm Series 666 One Stroke

• Size 8 Series 111 Round

• Size 2 Series 333 Rigger

Winsor & Newton Watercolour Pad (11in x 14in, 140lb, 12 sheets) 

Winsor & Newton Medium Kneaded Putty Rubber

Colart Small Rectangular Palette

Conté à Paris 2B Graphite Pencil

Conté à Paris Pencil Sharpener

Thanks for the information. Good brands and probably worth it but with the Aussie dollar so bad may bring my own.  Cheers

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

The kit varies, for example, the art teacher may wish to work in a different medium such as pastel.

Nevertheless, you don't have to buy the package to participate, just bring your own and in that case it's free.

3 minutes ago, jebo said:

Thanks for the information. Good brands and probably worth it but with the Aussie dollar so bad may bring my own.  Cheers

I have all of the watercolour equipment mentioned so may as well bring my own.  thanks for the info.

My wife is a watercolour instructor on Cunard.   The kit costs $35.00.   There is no other charge.   If you have your own supplies it costs nothing.   This is for the entire voyage.  You can attend the 10:00 AM class or the 2:00 PM class on sea days.   Some students attend both.  We will be on the May 25th Queen Victoria voyage from Southampton around the British Isles.

57 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Are the classes limited? Do you need to register or sign-up? Is it likely they will happen on a transatlantic (6 sea days)?

I don't see a limit mentioned in the latest daily programmes I have from November-December 2022 on QM2, but the daily programmes I have from earlier years mention the watercolour art classes are limited to 25 guests. First come, first served I suppose if the limit should happen to be exceeded.

18 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I don't see a limit mentioned in the latest daily programmes I have from November-December 2022 on QM2, but the daily programmes I have from earlier years mention the watercolour art classes are limited to 25 guests. First come, first served I suppose if the limit should happen to be exceeded.

In 3 crossings I've never seen anyone turned away bluemarble. On our May Crossing there were quite a few people on the first day but a lot of people thought it was a one and done program and class size drops about 1/3 on the second day. I really like that if you have a scheduling conflict with the morning class you can drop in on the afternoon class for that day and vice versa.

Jack 

• Like 1