Driving From Saskatchewan to Galveston

StanleyandGus

I would  try Google maps 

You never know what the weather will be like if you are diving during the winter

We drove back to Ontario from West Texas one year in April   dodging  tornadoes

JMO

The route would be approximately twice the length of your Ottawa-Orlando drive and take approximately 28 hours to drive.  So two 14-hour days with one night stop, or three days driving 9-10 hours per day. Assuming, of course, that you have good weather and driving conditions. 

Thanks for your responses. I did look at Google maps, so I’m sort of aware of the route (essentially, after North Dakota, it’s straight south), hopefully on reasonable highways.

It’s something that I am idly thinking of. The next couple of cruises were flying into, but the drive might be interesting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The route would be approximately twice the length of your Ottawa-Orlando drive and take approximately 28 hours to drive.  So two 14-hour days with one night stop, or three days driving 9-10 hours per day. Assuming, of course, that you have good weather and driving conditions. 

? It's a longer drive for sure, but Google Maps has Regina-Galveston as about 2800km and Ottawa-Orlando as 2300km. To the OP, I've visited the center of the US many, many times on business over the years and know Wichita as well as I know Montreal. You won't have any problems with roads, though as someone else pointed out, weather (thunderstorms and tornadoes) can be an issue. You can use the Interstate system most of the way.

43 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

? It's a longer drive for sure, but Google Maps has Regina-Galveston as about 2800km and Ottawa-Orlando as 2300km. To the OP, I've visited the center of the US many, many times on business over the years and know Wichita as well as I know Montreal. You won't have any problems with roads, though as someone else pointed out, weather (thunderstorms and tornadoes) can be an issue. You can use the Interstate system most of the way.

Thank you for pointing this out, as I've found an anomaly with either Google Maps or my settings.

When I used Google Maps to determine the distance from Regina to Galveston, the result was 2829 km. All of my settings on all of my devices and computers are metric, so Google providing me the result in kilometres is what Google always does.

When I asked for directions from Ottawa to Orlando, it provided a distance of 1420. After reading your post, I went back and saw that, for some strange reason, the distance was in miles, not kilometres, but as it always (until now) gives me kilometres, I had just run with the number.

Now I need to figure out what happened and why. In the meantime, I'll just look a little more carefully at distance figures to make sure that I know what measurement system is at play. 

18 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Thanks! We wouldn’t be going in the summer, because summer here is really nice!

16 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Why would you want to do that drive ? Especially if it is winter time 

Because we like to drive and we can’t fly direct anywhere except Calgary and Toronto (for now). Probably the weather is a bit worse, but that’s kind of luck of the draw. 

• Like 1

We've driven Winnipeg to Orlando many times.  Most recently in August.  Straight south and turn left at Kansas City.  I would think that Regina to Galveston would be just about straight south.  I still rely on the Trip Tiks from CAA.  I guess I'm pretty old school, but I just love maps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Winnigirl said:

We've driven Winnipeg to Orlando many times.  Most recently in August.  Straight south and turn left at Kansas City.  I would think that Regina to Galveston would be just about straight south.  I still rely on the Trip Tiks from CAA.  I guess I'm pretty old school, but I just love maps.

I don’t think CAA does those any more- I loved those as well! It’s sort of south east through North Dakota, and then south to Galveston. Well, it is going the route I am thinking of.

22 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

I don’t think CAA does those any more- I loved those as well! It’s sort of south east through North Dakota, and then south to Galveston. Well, it is going the route I am thinking of.

Yes, they still do them.  I had one done for our trip in August.

If you like to drive, there's no reason not to do it. But I would definitely be weather aware while you're travelling. Depending on the time of year you're travelling, you'll encounter snow, blowing snow, and potentially tornadoes. And you could have all of those in the same trip. We lived in central Illinois and Kentucky and spring was the worst for tornadoes. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Think driving that route in winter is quite crazy and risky…and we are car travelers. 
Have driven from Ontario to B C via us in winter, watched for weather issues and we’re fine…but that is the exception. Have driven from Ontario to South Carolina in March and hit major storms, two states were closed meaning stay in hotel if you can find a room….highways closed off.

would be an adventure  for you, might be ok but if not it’s not fun.

best to you.

• Thanks 1