Best way to alert Viking about food allergy?

The Other Tom

We'll be sailing on the Venus soon and I don't see a way on our passenger info form to enter a food allergy.  I assume that the best way is to tell our server before ordering but I was wondering if anyone else had a better idea. We do not have reservations at any of the restaurants so I don't know what good it would do to tell them beforehand anyway. 

There is an area in the "My Viking Journey" website that allows you to enter them. As I recall, its in "On board experiences", "Preferences" and then "dietary restrictions"

Edited by ropomo

In addition to completing the info on MVJ, please locate the Restaurant Manager upon boarding to discuss food allergies. They will normally provide the menus a day in advance, advising which dishes can be made in accordance with your allergies.

• Like 2

We contacted the Restaurant Manager and received the menus the day before as Heidi13 mentioned.  We also mentioned the allergies to the servers to make sure they double checked with the kitchen .... they were always very nice and talked to the chef.  In addition one day my wife had a "reaction" (not due to a staff error) and the Restaurant Manager arranged to have a special broth made with ingredients to her needs and helped her get back to normal ...... FANTASTIC Viking attention to their guests!

• Like 2

We found we had to remind waitstaff frequently. DH’s allergy (licorice) was not listed on the form in My Viking Journey, and it’s unusual enough that some of the staff weren’t familiar with it. In retrospect, we probably should’ve spoken with the restaurant manager first thing, as Heidi13 suggests. 

That said, the Chef’s Table was especially accommodating; they would prepare alternatives for him if there was even a slight chance of a dish containing his forbidden food. 

• Like 1

I have traveled on both Viking River and ocean with a peanut allergy.  I noted it in mvj and also told the restaurant manager. He tracked me down in the buffet and walked with me as i was choosing foods. It was funny really cause if I stopped and looked at something he might say "no no you cannot have that".  In the restaurant I was given the next day menu with the foods I couldn't have marked out. One night I was told I couldn't have any of the desserts but they made a special one for me.  They are very concerned for your well-being and will take really good care of you.  I did have to keep telling them that I could have tree nuts, just not peanuts as they kept saying no to all nuts.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ropomo said:

There is an area in the "My Viking Journey" website that allows you to enter them. As I recall, its in "On board experiences", "Preferences" and then "dietary restrictions"

Yes, but, unless they have updated the form since last I looked, there is no place to list other allergies or food issues on the form.  

Even so, my first stop is the maitre d' or guest services to register my issues.  

• Like 2

Just off the Sky and had an issue with with a dietary restriction. I celebrated my birthday at the Chefs Table. It was the Xiang menu and when making the reservation on board I informed the desk that I cannot have coconut (the granita was coconut). They said it would be no issue and they would most likely swap out w lemon- just let them know. 

Upon checking in at CT I informed maitre d' and he said to tell the waiter. We sat down and I told the waiter and he said no problem. When the granita course came, my friend and I were both served coconut granita by the runner. I said something and it was swapped out. 

The dessert course was next and the menu stated "chilled mango cream  with pomelo and sugo" and a description that it was light and refreshing.  When served it looked like there was toasted coconut on top so I asked and the server was like yes, it's coconut cream and coconut etc etc ..

Um....  

Luckily a) i noticed and b) they also.served me a birthday cake that was delicious but this put a major damper on my birthday and, for someone with a severe allergy who didn't notice, this could have been catastrophic.  

I did bring this up the following day with guest services, as this shows a clear lack of training and communication.

• Like 1

My apologies this is off topic, beach bunnie ...  we will be on Venus in little over a month ... any chance you could tell us what days the Chef's Table menu rotation is scheduled.  I know it might change ... but might not.  again my apologies for off topic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RMMcC said:

My apologies this is off topic, beach bunnie ...  we will be on Venus in little over a month ... any chance you could tell us what days the Chef's Table menu rotation is scheduled.  I know it might change ... but might not.  again my apologies for off topic.

No problem at all.  The menus run for 3 days. California started Saturday thru Monday. Lotus runs next Tuesday thru Thursday. I can't see further than that. I'll let you know when our Northern Lights cruise starts on the 19th what the rest are.

On 1/17/2023 at 8:24 PM, RMMcC said:

Thank you very much .... We love the California and want to try the Lotus.  Thanks again and enjoy your cruise ..... 

Ok, here's the rest.  Starting today for 3 nights each - Asian Panorama, La Route des Indes, Xian, and then back to California.