Dunedin - Larnach Castle vs Olveston Historic House

We are travelling with a friend who has not been to Dunedin before, we have, however, did not do Larnach Castle or Olveston Historic House, for anyone who has been to Dunedin, would you recommend one over the other.  I believe Olveston is in Dunedin, however, Larnach Castle is a drive, any assistance/information to help would be great.  Many thanks

My visit to Larnach Castle was enjoyable.  Travelling from Dunedin to the Castle is a very scenic drive and the grounds surrounding Larnach Castle are lovely.  However,  our visit to Olveston House was great.  It is located not far from Dunedin CBD and is a beautiful old and historic home.   We had a guide throughout our visit and the history of the house is amazing.   If I returned to Dunedin I would definitely visit Olveston House again. 

We did a tour that incorporated both and my vote is Olveston House. I agree the scenic drive to Larnach Castle was nice vs a house in town.

But the tour guides we had at Olveston House really helped you understand the story and it felt much more personal.  The castle has a sad history and it a display of wealth for the time - beautiful and amazing but a real display out the upper crust of life.

Both are worth the visit but if you want to learn more about how people lived vs seeing overt displays of wealth Olveston House is the one for you. 

• Like 3