Radiance of the Seas 2/27 which excursion to take

CruiseMomTX

We are sailing on the Radiance of the Seas on 2/27 and will be our first time to Panama and we can't decide what to do.  We don't normally take ship excursions but it sounds like it is the best option here especially being our first time.  We want to go through the canal/locks and would like a little shopping and try some local food but reading a few reviews on the long 7 hour day that includes a lot of travel/bus time were not so sure anymore.  Make us feel better about the long day and help us decide please, lol.  If you have any input, suggestions, etc. on the below ship excursions please let me know or if you have any links to reviews of them we would appreciate that.  

Panama Canal and IMAX experience 

Grand Tour of Panama

Eco Cruise on Gatun Lake

Panama City Tour and Canal Locks

Portobelo & Agua Clara Locks

Panama Canal and Monkey Eco Tour (sold out but wondering if spots might open up)

Soar Through the Rainforest on the Gamboa Resort Aerial Tram (I'm scared of heights so not sure I could do this)

Colonial Panama On Your Own

17 hours ago, CruiseMomTX said:

Panama Canal and IMAX experience 

Grand Tour of Panama

Eco Cruise on Gatun Lake

Panama City Tour and Canal Locks

Portobelo & Agua Clara Locks

Panama Canal and Monkey Eco Tour (sold out but wondering if spots might open up)

Soar Through the Rainforest on the Gamboa Resort Aerial Tram (I'm scared of heights so not sure I could do this)

Colonial Panama On Your Own

I am assuming you are just making a port call in Colon and not transiting the Canal.  If you are trying to avoid the longer bus travel, only one of those  tour suggestions possibly does not involve a fair amount of bus travel.  Almost every tour listed will involve transportation to the some location on the Pacific side.  The bus ride over and back is really not a bad trip, a large part of it is over an expressway and while I would allow an hour an a half each way the trip is really just a little over an hour.  However there is always a couple of stragglers that are the last to get on the bus and the like... so the hour and half is probably more accurate.  The bus ride to Portobelo does not go to the Pacific side and is over secondary roads going through some country side as well working class towns

I think if you want to go through the locks and see a good part of the most interesting  parts of the Canal, I really think that still is your best choice.  Although I don't believe you listed that tour.  The boat portion of the tour lasts about 4.5 hours, but that often times depends of the vagaries of shipping.  In other words ship happens and that can cause the longer tour times.

About the only tour that would offer a chance of a little shopping and local food sampling would be the Colonial Panama on Your Own.  There has been in the past ample native goods available in the area of the Las Bovedas and Plaza Francia.  As far as food goes, I am not much help there, I know there are a number of boutique restaurants, read high prices and probably not that representative of "comida tipica" (local food) in this section of Panama City.  Interesting sites in Colonial Panama (also called Casco Antiguo or Viejo) are the Panama Canal Museum, Palacio de Las Garzas (Presidential Palace), Church  of San Jose (Church of the Golden Altar), the ruins of the Convent and Church of Santo Domingo (Flat Arch) as well as Las Bovedas mentioned earlier.  While the Casco is not that big, I am not sure how convenient these sites would be to visit walking on your own.

There are lots of interesting things to see in Panama and well worth the visit, to me the Canal is the star.  If there is anyway to do the partial transit that would be my first choice.  The good thing is the partial transit will not spoil the experience when you return on a full transit cruise.  If you have any questions about the other tours I'll try to answer them, just try to include some of Royal's description of the tour.  I looked at their website and could not find much that detailed the tour.

4 hours ago, BillB48 said:

I am assuming you are just making a port call in Colon and not transiting the Canal.  If you are trying to avoid the longer bus travel, only one of those  tour suggestions possibly does not involve a fair amount of bus travel.  Almost every tour listed will involve transportation to the some location on the Pacific side.  The bus ride over and back is really not a bad trip, a large part of it is over an expressway and while I would allow an hour an a half each way the trip is really just a little over an hour.  However there is always a couple of stragglers that are the last to get on the bus and the like... so the hour and half is probably more accurate.  The bus ride to Portobelo does not go to the Pacific side and is over secondary roads going through some country side as well working class towns

I think if you want to go through the locks and see a good part of the most interesting  parts of the Canal, I really think that still is your best choice.  Although I don't believe you listed that tour.  The boat portion of the tour lasts about 4.5 hours, but that often times depends of the vagaries of shipping.  In other words ship happens and that can cause the longer tour times.

About the only tour that would offer a chance of a little shopping and local food sampling would be the Colonial Panama on Your Own.  There has been in the past ample native goods available in the area of the Las Bovedas and Plaza Francia.  As far as food goes, I am not much help there, I know there are a number of boutique restaurants, read high prices and probably not that representative of "comida tipica" (local food) in this section of Panama City.  Interesting sites in Colonial Panama (also called Casco Antiguo or Viejo) are the Panama Canal Museum, Palacio de Las Garzas (Presidential Palace), Church  of San Jose (Church of the Golden Altar), the ruins of the Convent and Church of Santo Domingo (Flat Arch) as well as Las Bovedas mentioned earlier.  While the Casco is not that big, I am not sure how convenient these sites would be to visit walking on your own.

There are lots of interesting things to see in Panama and well worth the visit, to me the Canal is the star.  If there is anyway to do the partial transit that would be my first choice.  The good thing is the partial transit will not spoil the experience when you return on a full transit cruise.  If you have any questions about the other tours I'll try to answer them, just try to include some of Royal's description of the tour.  I looked at their website and could not find much that detailed the tour.

Thank you so much for the information!  I will post descriptions of the tours.

BillB48 Here are the descriptions of the tours available.  I appreciate your or anyones input or experience of these tours.  I think you have convinced us to do the canals now to pick which tour.  You don't need to quote all of this for anyone willing to reply/help us out since its a long post maybe just put the tour number or name and your thoughts or experience.  

1. Panama Canal & IMAX Experience

Overview

Take a virtual trip through the Panama Canal with an IMAX experience before exploring the former Canal zone and learning its history.

Highlights

• Visit Panama's first IMAX theater and settle in for "Panama Canal in 3D: A Land Divided, a World United," a spectacular, 3-D documentary that takes you from the days Conquistadores struggled through a water-soaked quagmire to the engineering achievement that established the canal as revolutionary in shipping and tropical medicine.
  • Enjoy free time at the IMAX experience and a panoramic tour of the Old Canal Zone to learn more about the canal's history.

2. Grand Tour of Panama

Overview

Enjoy gliding along the historic Panama Canal on an exciting boat ride while learning the ins and outs of how this structural wonder operates, serving as a key channel for international trade. Cruise on the Chagres River to Gatun Lake, where a lush tropical paradise replete with exotic flora and fauna emerges. Watch as the waters of Gatun feed the Panama Canal locks system. Along the way, discover the culture of the Emberá people of Neopono Puru Island and take in a traditional tribal dance.

Highlights

• Panama Canal: Enjoy the beauty and wonder of this famous passageway as you cruise along, learning about the Canal’s role as a primary channel for international trade.
  • Gatun Lake: See the luscious flora and fauna of the Panamanian rainforest.
  • Emberá Culture: Take in a traditional tribal dance, and learn about the customs and way of life among the Emberá people.

3. Eco Cruise on Gatun Lake

Overview

Cruise along the vast jungle area surrounding Gatun Lake and prepare yourself for a wildlife extravaganza. You will ride along the back channels, islands, and bays of this unique waterway to get an up close glimpse of the capuchin monkeys and other animals that inhabit this area. Have your camera ready to take advantage of the abundant photo opportunities, and listen along as your guide describes the culture, history, and ecology of this unspoiled region.

Highlights

• Wildlife: Keep your camera handy! Likely sightings include capuchin monkeys, sloths, toucans, crocodiles, and many other rainforest creatures.
  • Gatun Lake: Built to accommodate the Panama Canal, this vast beautiful lake covers hundreds of acres of former rainforest.

4. Panama City Tour & Canal Locks

Overview

Watch closely as the rich history, dynamic culture, and engineering prowess of Panama comes alive on a full-day tour that includes a stroll through Panama City and a stop at the world famous Panama Canal. Begin the day with a panoramic drive to bustling Panama City, the first European city established on the Pacific Coast of the Americas. As you pass cosmopolitan cityscapes and old Panamanian ruins, you’ll listen to the region’s expansive history from your guide. Hop off the bus and embark on a walking tour through the Casco Viejo historic district, across narrow cobblestone pathways and past stunning Spanish colonial edifices. Here you’ll admire wrought-iron balconies, roam plazas, view 300-year-old churches, and hear the rhythm of Latin music. Then enjoy an up-close glimpse of the Panama Canal, considered the world’s greatest shortcut. With a visit to the Agua Clara Locks (expansion center), you’ll learn the history and construction process behind this feat of engineering.

Highlights

• Guided Tour: Hear tales of old Panama City and learn about its modern cosmopolitan charms from an informative guide.
  • Casco Antiguo "Old Quarters" is a World Heritage Site.
  • Visit the Agua Clara Locks of the Panama Canal and learn about the history behind it.
  • Refreshments: Snacks are included on bus ride.

5. Portobelo & Agua Clara Locks

Overview

Discover the best of Panama during this half-day tour. First, drive to Portobelo, where you’ll roam the same streets feared buccaneer Captain Morgan did 300 years ago. Later, visit the Agua Clara Locks or Expansion Center, see the results of the world’s largest construction project, and learn how the canals expansion has changed the flow of global trade.

Highlights

• Visit Portobelo: a Colonial era Caribbean trading center surrounded by 17th century Spanish Conquistador Forts, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
  • A UNESCO World Heritage Site: Learn all about Portobelo's colorful history as a pirate haven for Captain Henry Morgan and other buccaneers.
  • Expansion Center: Return to Colon to visit the Agua Clara Locks in the Panama Canal Zone and see the results of the world's largest construction project.

6. Panama Canal and Monkey Eco Tour

Overview

Bring your sense of adventure on this guided tour of the protected wild life sanctuaries on Lake Gatun's islands. Speed through the Panama Canal by boat and enter the labyrinth of jungle-covered islands along Lake Gatun, where naturalist guides will educate you on the wildlife that live there and their tropical habitats. Among the inhabitants you may spot are capuchin monkeys, three-toed sloths, howler monkeys, toucans, caimans, crocodiles, turtles, butterflies, and many species of rainforest flora. 

Highlights

• Panama Canal: Speed alongside massive ships navigating this man-made passage.
  • Lake Gatun: Learn about the rainforest that surrounds this man-made lake and how it provides shelter for native plants and wildlife.
  • Naturalist Guides: Heighten your jungle and canal adventure with expert information on the surrounding ecosystem.

1. The IMAX movie is worthwhile and is nicely done, narrated by Morgan Freeman.  The IMAX theater is located at Miraflores Locks, however it is unclear to me as to whether the free time they speak of will allow you to spend any time viewing the operations of Miraflores Locks.  The exploring the former Canal Zone and learning about its history may have limited interest for someone who has not had a connection to the Canal Zone.  Those who have a connection to the Canal Zone would be former employees of the Canal or relatives of former employees.  This would also apply to members of the military who had been stationed at some point in the Canal Zone.

2. I think the primary part of this tour is the visit to the Embera Indian village. This a demonstration village, don't be turned against it because of it being a demonstration village.  The village does accurately represent their way of life and their culture.

3.  This is the excursion I know the least about, I believe this excursion stays on the Atlantic side and would have the least amount of bus travel if my assumption is correct.

4.  This tour will take you to the same area as the excursion that is called Colonial Panama on Your Own, this area goes by three names depending on who is describing it.  Casco Antiguo, Casco Viejo as well as Colonial Panama are all the same place.  Sounds like this tour includes at least a drive by Panama Viejo which is the ruins of the original first European settlement on the Pacific side of Panama in 1519.  After an welcomed visit by Henry Morgan in 1671, the town was moved to where Casco Antiguo is now.  Modern day Panama City has filled the what was empty space between the two sites.

5.  Portobelo will have the remains of old Spanish fortifications, I would expect the visit would include stops at the old Customs House as well the Church of the Black Christ which is in the area.  The real name of the church is Iglesia de San Felipe, but it is rare to ever hear it called by that name.

One thing I forgot to mention about the Panama Canal and Monkey Eco Tour earlier, they will often sell out on line before sailing.  However that is for on line sails only.  If that excursion is something you are interested in, go to the excursion desk when they first open as they normally hold back a number of excursions to be sold onboard.

Thank you so much for the information!  We are interested in the Canal & Monkey tour but it is sold out so good to know we can ask onboard.  Which tour would you choose from the above?  If we book one and then the monkey tour is available onboard can we just cancel the original purchased one and buy the new one?  We don't normally do ship tours but know we definitely need to.

Since I am pretty much a nuts and bolts type, I would trend towards picking something that has to do with the Canal.  However I do enjoy just seeing the country side, towns, etc. so of the what is listed above I would probably lean towards No. 4 Panama City tour and Canal Locks which gives some of the sightseeing aspect and the mechanical side of what I like.  I think just seeing Panama City will be a surprise to most people, particularly when they see Colon first!  Talk about two different worlds!!  You see countryside, at least a drive by of the ruins of Old Panama and then on to Casco Antiguo.  All in between those two sites you will have Panama City to fill in the gap.

If you can believe the tour description you will then go to the new expansion locks of Agua Clara on the Atlantic side on the way back to the ship.  Being honest, while I like seeing the new locks could be a wee bit underwhelming.  Compared to the original locks there is just less to see.  Although the lock chambers are larger, there is only one lane as compared to two lanes at the original locks, there are no mules towing the ships and when the ships move... it is on the slow side.  Having said all that, I still think it is worth the stop.  The visitor's center at Agua Clara gives you a nice view of Gatun Lake and you can see ships moving through Gatun Locks (original) about a mile away.  You probably can't see the locks because of their low profile, but you will be able to see the ships.  Maybe even more importantly you can see the apartment building I lived in at one time!!😄

Won't be any issue with you changing tours at the shore excursion desk, they will credit you and add any increase to your account.  Of course my favorite tour would be the partial transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard (Culebra) Cut... if it turns into a real long day, then you will be certain it will be memorable!!😉

Just got off the Radiance this past Saturday, great ship!

3 hours ago, BillB48 said:

Of course my favorite tour would be the partial transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard (Culebra) Cut...

Thank again BillB48 for the information especially with you just getting of the Radiance!!  Is the above part of any of the tours I listed?  This was a very last minute booking and we have never really researched stopping in Panama or anything involving transiting the Canal via ship or on a tour as we figured it would be a few years before we did a cruise that went there.  Did your cruise stop in Cartagena or Colon?  I think you or someone mentioned when we port in Colon we go through a lock but not sure.  If so how early should we be up to watch and is there much to see from our balcony 9214?  Do you know if we can carry snacks off in Colon since it will be a long day and I don't know what the availability of food offered or to purchase will be.  

The excursion I mentioned about the partial transit of the Pacific Locks was not in the list above and is "normally" offered when a ship calls at Colon or on the Pacific side of Panama.  Various cruise lines call it by several names like Canal by Boat/Ferry.  I tried looking at Royal's shore excursions, even though I am quite familiar with their website I can't seem to see anything but a few generic mentions that sounded more like fiction of what to see.  Not helpful of informative.  Maybe you can see more since you actually have a booking.  Even if it does not appear on their website now I would look for it when you get onboard.  The excursion may also have descriptors such as "partial transit", "Pacific Locks", "Culebra/Gaillard Cut"... hard to tell as it goes by many names, but it is usually one of the more or most expensive shore excursions.  If you have any interest in the Canal at all that is the tour to take.  Basically the tour runs from the Pacific Anchorage through the two original locks on the Pacific side and through Gaillard Cut to Gamboa.  It can also run in the reverse order, just as enjoyable.  In practical terms it is about half of the Canal, but it is the better half.  If you can find anything like I have described in their shore excursions paste it here and I can tell you if that is the one I am referencing. 

The cruise I was just on did not stop in Cartagena or Colon, it was just a Western Caribbean with the obligatory stops in Cozumel and Georgetown.  I have been to Cartagena and Colon both as part of a Canal cruise and non Canal cruises.

Unfortunately the Radiance will not enter the Canal or pass through any locks before docking in Colon.  Nothing of any significance to point out on your way into Colon, but there is a good chance you will see a lot of ships waiting at anchor to transit the Canal.  Except for where your ship docks which is a passenger facility Colon is a busy container port.  I know they will always caution you about taking food items off the ship.  In my experience in Colon that only applies to fruits or non factory sealed items.  Water, chips, small boxes of cereal were OK.

Today we have only one transit, a small expedition type ship, World Voyager (Mystic Cruises, Nicky cruises).  But the reason for the picture from the Miraflores Locks cam is the two ‘ferries’ also in the lock.  I believe these are two of a number of vessels used in the locks tours.  The smaller one on the right (starboard) is Pacific Queen.  The other is Tuira ll.  I know there is a Tuira lll and a number of others that do not show AIS other than ‘passenger’.  

66D3B6D8-661D-425A-B919-E8C8B79FB85C.jpeg

41F1A56F-9BE1-404F-864A-63806DD2E332.jpeg

• Like 1