FTTF and CPAP

violetsmile

10 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

The medical supply provider of my DH's CPAP as well as his doctor (who has A LOT of experience with CPAPs as well as cruises) both told DH that ship's water is absolutely fine for use in his CPAP for a week.  It doesn't damage it at all.  It doesn't even leave any visible residue after a whole week.  This may not be the case for all CPAPs, but it is what the "experts" told DH and it has worked just fine for him for years.  No one was "advising someone to damage their machine".  And there is a reason for the advice the poster gave: to be helpful.  It might be worth it to other CPAP users to check into the possibility of using ship's water in their own devices.  It saves a bit of trouble, not having to lug on or procure distilled water onboard.

If explained it the way you did with a justification then it would make sense. Just saying using tap water is ok is not a good recommendation. 

34 minutes ago, Normajean999 said:

If explained it the way you did with a justification then it would make sense. Just saying using tap water is ok is not a good recommendation. 

Ship's tap water is not the same as land-based tap water.

1 hour ago, Normajean999 said:

It’s only going from the drop off to the room. I’m fine with that risk. 

Hi 

The main issue with putting anything of value in your checked luggage is that on occasion they do get lost. I have been on many cruises and it has never happened to me, so I guess you are right, it is low risk, but it does happen. You just have to read these forums. Even if only delayed, for a day or two, it wouldn't be something I would chance, considering the bag and equipment only weighs 5 lbs. at most.

I personally have seen baggage being transported onto the ship in one of their large bins by a fork truck that hit something on the ground with a bag bouncing out of the top onto the asphalt. I have read on this site about someone who had clothing ruined because someone had a liquid that leaked from their bag into bags underneath theirs, while in those same transport bins. 

I wouldn't put anything that I thought I needed or cared about losing in a checked bag, either getting on or off the ship.

• Like 3

I have been using a C-pap since 2006, and have been using my cabin tap water in my machine since 2008...that's because on a 2008 cruise, we were seated in the MDR with a very nice gentleman who just happened to be a somnoligist...or as us hillbillies say...sleep doctor. When I found out he was a sleep doctor, we of course had some very good conversations about sleep disorders, C-paps, etc. He assured me that using the ships tap water would not harm my machine in the least. He went on to say that if I ever found myself on vacation without access to distilled water, regular tap water can be used on any C-pap for a short period of time...say a week...with no worries. He obviously didn't recommend doing this for extended periods. I have since followed this advice...both on the boat and on vacation...and have never had any issues. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Normajean999 said:

It’s only going from the drop off to the room. I’m fine with that risk. 

This!! ⬇️⬇️⬇️ I, personally, do not choose to take unnecessary risks with my health and life, and I do not encourage others to do so.  You do you.

14 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi 

The main issue with putting anything of value in your checked luggage is that on occasion they do get lost. I have been on many cruises and it has never happened to me, so I guess you are right, it is low risk, but it does happen. You just have to read these forums. Even if only delayed, for a day or two, it wouldn't be something I would chance, considering the bag and equipment only weighs 5 lbs. at most.

I personally have seen baggage being transported onto the ship in one of their large bins by a fork truck that hit something on the ground with a bag bouncing out of the top onto the asphalt. I have read on this site about someone who had clothing ruined because someone had a liquid that leaked from their bag into bags underneath theirs, while in those same transport bins. 

I wouldn't put anything that I thought I needed or cared about losing in a checked bag, either getting on or off the ship.

On 1/16/2023 at 2:43 PM, Schoifmom said:

DH and I both have cpaps.  He chose to use the case that it came with until recently when he purchased a backpack specifically made for that purpose.  I normally will put mine into my small wheeled carry on with all of the other things you describe.  They aren't big, bulky, or heavy.  They are necessary, though 😁

Do you mind telling me where and which backpack you purchased for your cpap? Thanks! 

Here's an idea to eliminate lugging your carry-ons around.  Pick a later check in time!  We have given up on the insane rush to get on the ship ASAP with the teaming multitudes.  Pick a 12:30 to 1 check in time, arrive near the end of that, you will stroll right through check-in, onto the ship and straight to your room.  All the "Sooners" will be done with lunch and wandering round so you can pretty much get whatever you want for a later lunch with no waiting as well..

• Like 1