Driving in Bermuda

judla

Can anyone tell us about driving in Bermuda?  We will on Celebrity in April.  Can we use a US driver's license?  I understand foreigners cannot drive a standard type of car, but can drive one of their mini electric cars.  Is that true?  TIA

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, judla said:

Can anyone tell us about driving in Bermuda?  We will on Celebrity in April.  Can we use a US driver's license?  I understand foreigners cannot drive a standard type of car, but can drive one of their mini electric cars.  Is that true?  TIA

Yes you can rent one of the mini electric two seaters. There are several types of vehicle. You can drive with a US driver’s license. I would mention they drive on the opposite side of the road in Bermuda as we do in the US. 

2 hours ago, judla said:

Can anyone tell us about driving in Bermuda?

As Charles mentioned, they drive on the left. If you've driven in England/Scotland/Ireland before and are comfortable than its not a big deal. The Twizy's they rent are center console and the passenger sits behind you (tight fit). They have a few European microcars that are right hand drive so easy enough. But they do have these electric mini Hummers that are actually left hand drive (like we have in the US) but you have to drive on the left, which is very confusing. 

Technically the speed limit for the entire island is 21 MPH but this is rarely heeded by the locals. Most rental vehicles are limited in speed to adhere to the law but locals and busses will be whizzing by you. Something to keep in mind if you are a nervous driver. 

• 3 months later...

It is extremely dangerous to drive in Bermuda,  if you are not use to very skinny lanes....no shoulders....and other drivers who do not obey the speed limit.  Also, be aware that trucks stop on the roads with no notice...so when you go around a corner, a truck may be stopped.  Be careful.

On 1/16/2023 at 1:47 PM, judla said:

Lots of Americans have no issues driving, renting scooters in Bermuda. I've been there 5 times on cruises. On EVERY cruise someone has not made it back because they got into an accident. Taxis and Busses are not expensive

• Like 1

Having been to Bermuda 5 times over the past years, I would never consider renting anything for use on the roads - Twizzy or mopeds.  First, you are not used to driving on the other side of the road.  Then, you will encounter impatient drivers with cars and other vehicles who will try to pass you on narrow, winding roads.  I have read instances where a Twizzy (an electric vehicle) runs out of battery power and people get stuck because they can't find a charging station.  Best to stick with public transportation,

• Like 1