HAL Insurance - Cancel for any reason (CFAR) question

ilv4cruising

Hi all,

Has bought the HAL insurance and had to claim the "cancel for any reason" (CFAR)?

We have a cruise scheduled for May with the final payment due soon.  Although we really want to take this trip, there are some "unknowns" going on for us that might prevent us from going. 

Since the cruise and deposit was done early in 2022 I can't get CFAR insurance for our trip other than buying it from HAL.

Has anyone had to claim this and, if so, did you have any issues?

Thanks,

1 hour ago, ilv4cruising said:

Hi all,

Has bought the HAL insurance and had to claim the "cancel for any reason" (CFAR)?

We have a cruise scheduled for May with the final payment due soon.  Although we really want to take this trip, there are some "unknowns" going on for us that might prevent us from going. 

Since the cruise and deposit was done early in 2022 I can't get CFAR insurance for our trip other than buying it from HAL.

Has anyone had to claim this and, if so, did you have any issues?

Thanks,

Although I have never had to use HAL's CFAR policy, there have been numerous, positive reports on this forum.  You may want to use the "Search this Forum" button to learn more.

However, was  your deposit non-refundable because if it was not and your final payment is not yet due, just cancel the cruise.  In the future, you might want to wait until close to final payment to buy HAL's policy since you probably don't need it unless you have a non-refundable deposit.

• Like 1

Just now, Tampa Girl said:

Although I have never had to use HAL's CFAR policy, there have been numerous, positive reports on this forum.  You may want to use the "Search this Forum" button to learn more.

However, was  your deposit non-refundable because if it was not and your final payment is not yet due, just cancel the cruise.  In the future, you might want to wait until close to final payment to buy HAL's policy since you probably don't need it unless you have a non-refundable deposit.

Hi,

Thanks for the info.  Will also do a search.  Yes my deposit is refundable and our final payment is close so that is why I'm asking :).

I appreciate the info.

Just to get you an early reply, though we have not made claims, have had Platinum plan multiple times. Others will chime in but reports are that it works great. 

You must purchase before final payment. 
If you cancel you will get back 90% of cruise fare.

100% of port taxes and fees will be refunded even without the Cruise Cancelation Plan

0% will be refunded for the cost you pay for the plan. 

I believe you will also get back 90% of anything paid for that’s on your confirmation such as airport transfers, pre/post cruise hotels. 
Hope it all works out for the best for you!  m—

• Like 1

I’ve bought it (platinum) several times and made a cancel claim twice (pre-cruise).
The first time, I cancelled 4 days prior to leaving as a relative had become seriously ill. I received the refund within the week, back on the card that it was initially charged to. For me, it was a good deal as it covered 90% of the cost of the cruise, airfare ( through Flightese) and a 3 day pre-cruise tour to Iguazu, yet the cost was <~ 10% of the cruise only fare. So my loss was ~20%:  10% + cost of Platinum. 

The second time I used it was for a cruise scheduled in March 2020. I cancelled 3 hours before the Pause ( when the cruise lines were hellbent on sailing regardless of the pandemic in full swing.) I eventually got my 90% back in about 6 months.

Be aware that the amount of medical coverage included is a pittance. For me, my work insurance covers me overseas.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ilv4cruising said:

Hi,

Thanks for the info.  Will also do a search.  Yes my deposit is refundable and our final payment is close so that is why I'm asking :).

I appreciate the info.

Confirm your final payment date, which may be later than when your payment is due to a TA, if that is what you are using.  Upon confirmation that you can cancel without a 10 - 20% reduction in refund, simply cancel the cruise.  It would be cheaper than buying the CFAR.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

If you cancel you will get back 90% of cruise fare.

100% of port taxes and fees will be refunded even without the Cruise Cancelation Plan

0% will be refunded for the cost you pay for the plan. 

I believe you will also get back 90% of anything paid for that’s on your confirmation such as airport transfers, pre/post cruise hotels. 
Hope it all works out for the best for you!  m—

Both times I received 100% of the shorex,  ship to airport transfer, and pre-purchases onboard.

I got 90% of the pre-cruise package ( the package was handled by the shorex department. I know that because I had a ton of questions for them pre-cruise.)

Not sure what would happen if I had pre-cruise hotel booked through HAL as just a hotel booking.

Note that both my instances were prior to the cruise so no claim needed- just a simple call to HAL to cancel. Had I started the cruise, I would have been dealing with an insurance company.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
Corrected for content

We have cancelled the day before our cruise last April because of the SWA 1st meltdown in 2022! No flight was available. We received 90% of the cruise fare and port fees from HAL within a week. We lost the 10% and cost of the Platinum insurance premium.

I booked a cruise in July for October and purchased the platinum insurance.

I had to have a medical procedure during the October cruise and I sent an email with our mariner numbers sailing date ship and voyage number to the reservations department.  They responded in 48 hours and stated my credit card would be credited the refund.  It showed up in a week.  It was all done by email.