Bar menu?

CONCH65

4 hours ago, CONCH65 said:

We're on the Caribbean Princess next month. Does anyone have any pics of recent Princess bar menus they can share? Curious of not only prices but selection of spirits Princess carries. Thanks.

Selection is good ,most of the items under 12 $ but don't get too exited , most of the items out of stock or will be out of stock by the end of your cruise.

We just got off of the Caribbean. Things are not just all out for goodness sakes.  Twice they got something from a nearby bar.  We tried most mixed drinks on the menus, friend had many different beers, hubby had Grand Marnier regularly and was thrilled to get some excellent Bloody Caesars (yes, they even had the Clamato), we all had glasses of wine and even a couple of inexpensive bottles of wine.  No need to panic.  The bars are loaded up will all kinds of liquor bottles.

• Like 2

Going on the Ruby in April. We have plus but my traveling partner was wondering about the non-alcoholic included options, specifically smoothies and milkshakes. Anyone know the availability / menus for those items on Grand Class ships?

On 1/18/2023 at 2:07 AM, EconDoc said:

This site is good about posting all the bar menus. What they actually have on board might be another story but it will give you an idea. 

https://profcruise.com/the-new-princess-beverage-packages-with-updated-bar-menus/

Appreciated but somewhat out of date.  The current limit is $15 for Plus and $18 for Premier.  Rumors of bar price increases are also rampant here. But I would expect the variety and brands of drinks to remain relatively unchanged.

As far as shortages, I will be very disappointed if the only beer on the menu that I find drinkable is not available.

We cruised last May Emerald)  and September (Grand). Alcohol was kind of hit and miss. Even though something was on a bar or wine menu, did not necessarily mean that it was in stock. It was quite disappointing when I wanted to try new wines.

Just so folks understand there are "bar menus" and then there are the items that are actually in stock at the bar.  On Princess, they are often two very different things.  Perhaps it is a supply chain problem, or it could be a deliberate strategy.  It is the same with many wine lists we have seen on cruise ships (including Princess) where many wines are not in stock (and some might wonder if they have ever been in stock).

A good example is that on our last Princess Cruise (Enchanted) there was not a bottle of Bailey's to be found!  However, they did have another brand which DW said was not nearly as rich or good.  One bar tender told us she had not seen any Baily's in several cruises although the standard line for passengers was "a container did not get to the port in time."  That is similar to the line you will often get when you order any kind of booze or wine that is not on the ship.

So what to do?  Truly, nothing.  You just have to wait until you are aboard to find out what is available.  In fairness to Princess, this kind of thing even happens on luxury lines.  Last spring, we took a 27 day TA Seabourn cruise and they quickly ran out of every kind of bourbon except for Wild Turkey!  

Hank

9 hours ago, BamaVol said:

Appreciated but somewhat out of date.  The current limit is $15 for Plus and $18 for Premier.  Rumors of bar price increases are also rampant here. But I would expect the variety and brands of drinks to remain relatively unchanged.

As far as shortages, I will be very disappointed if the only beer on the menu that I find drinkable is not available.

My understanding is the new prices will start around February 20, the date on the new packages. The site I posted is good about keeping up and I expect them to get new Princess bar menus once they are published. I don’t know exactly how they operate but they seem to get significant updates within a few weeks at most. 

On 1/18/2023 at 8:07 PM, EconDoc said:

This site is good about posting all the bar menus. What they actually have on board might be another story but it will give you an idea. 

https://profcruise.com/the-new-princess-beverage-packages-with-updated-bar-menus/

Jeepers! They don't half smack you with the drink prices! We haven't cruised since covid. Might have to budget a bit more for liquid refreshments!! lol. I suppose they want tipping on top of those prices?!  

2 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Jeepers! They don't half smack you with the drink prices! We haven't cruised since covid. Might have to budget a bit more for liquid refreshments!! lol. I suppose they want tipping on top of those prices?!  

Rumor is that the drink prices are going up soon...

3 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

18% automatic gratuity on all drink sales. (I hear the Australia/NZ market doesn’t have automatic gratuities.)

Worth checking out Princess Plus, which includes drinks and gratuities (and wifi). 

34 minutes ago, EconDoc said:

18% automatic gratuity on all drink sales. (I hear the Australia/NZ market doesn’t have automatic gratuities.)

Worth checking out Princess Plus, which includes drinks and gratuities (and wifi). 

Our next cruise is over in the Mediterranean.. so we're going to be hit with gratuities. Princess Plus doesn't include Gratuities for those booking from Down Under. 

9 hours ago, EconDoc said:

My understanding is the new prices will start around February 20, the date on the new packages. The site I posted is good about keeping up and I expect them to get new Princess bar menus once they are published. I don’t know exactly how they operate but they seem to get significant updates within a few weeks at most. 

You are correct.  The new price limits have not yet taken effect. But given that Princess has been selling Premier and Plus with higher limits for cruises sailing after 2/20 for a while now, it would have been nice to see that mentioned. I have bookmarked the page for future reference.

Also keep in mind that most bars have transitioned to QR code “menus”. The printed ones may not be accurate. As for Princess’ specialty drinks like Chocolate Banana or Blue Hawaiian and things like that, they were never “out” of anything. But specific brands of spirits were hit or miss. We found that the best strategy was to simply go to the bar and observe. No bars were bare. They were all fully stocked. And also keep in mind that the bars are not fungible. They were offering different things in different places. On Regal, the best stocked bar by far was the Wheelhouse. They had rums and single malts that other bars did not have. And the Princess Live bar also seemed to have things not found at other bars. So if a bartender says “We don’t have that”, he might be referring only to his bar. Or it could be ship-wide. You just don’t know. It is both frustrating and fun to explore all the bars on board to find what each one has. 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2

I had a difficult time locating Bulleit Bourbon on our last cruise - Ruby in December. I found it at the Sea View bar forward on deck 16. The open late and close early. I left a note for the F&B Manager at Passenger Services asking to have that bottle moved to Good Spirits. A couple days later it appeared at that venue. They put my name on the bottle and stashed it in a lower cupboard. Oddly enough I also found Bulleit at Vines. The wine steward asked what we wanted and I said it was the wrong venue for what I actually wanted. He asked what it was and I told him Bulleit. He said no problem, disappeared for a couple of minutes, and came back with the drink. From then on he had a bottle behind the bar. Room Service also had Bulleit Bourbon but, aside from the sources I listed, nobody seemed to have any.

• Like 1

I haven't seen the "official" announcement myself, but there are several cruise news web sites and blogs that have received the announcement and reported on it. Too many different sources with the exact same information to discount it as a rumor.