Questions about staying off-ship during overnight port stay

f1rstxlas7

My ship arrives in Port Canaveral at 1pm and doesn't depart until 6:30pm the following day and I have these questions:

1. Can I access the Daily from within the app when I'm off the boat? Or do they only provide it when connected via Wi-Fi or in paper form? I'd like to know the All Aboard time the day I'm off-ship. Is there any other way I can find that out in advance or at least the morning of?
  2. I'm planning on telling my Steward that I'll be staying overnight off-ship, but in the worst case scenario is there any person on the ship or otherwise in case we are late for the all aboard time? Please do not chastise me for asking this. I am planning on being back well before all aboard time, but I'd still like to know if there's someone I can contact in case this happens.

I couldn’t get the ncl app to work off ship.  You can  ask guest services for the time and the contact info for the port agent.  We were late in docking in Puerto Rico and thought the piece of paper with port info would have all aboard on it, and couldn’t get the app to work so the people on the Facebook chat for my cruise roll all were able to tell me the all aboard time

Edited by kitkat343

The all aboard time will be printed in the daily on the day you arrive in port, showing the time the ship will leave the next day.  It is typically 30 minutes prior to leaving,  There is also a large sign when getting off the ship with the time.

The daily will also have the port agent information for that port.  This is who you would contact if you were going to be late getting back (and pick up your personal items from if the ship leaves without you),

You will not be able to access the app once off ship so take the paper daily with you, take a photo of the information needed in case you lose that (or screen shot the information from the app) and keep that information with you. 

• Like 1

Great answers to your questions above! The only addition I have is be sure to sign up for any groups for your cruise. You could post in there to ask for the Daily you'll miss. Or, find someone on the ship who is sticking around and ask them to email you a PDF copy of the Daily. It's in PDF form on the app. If it's just the all aboard time you're looking for, then ignore all that, as the answers above are perfect for finding that out.

The app only works on the ship.

If you are late getting back onto the ship - they will call you. And they will not be nice or happy when they do. You do not want to get that call. Trust me.... And you better be in the taxi/car pulling up the port and able to describe to them the color of your shirt so they can see you running and hold the ramp for you. The walk (run) of shame onto the ship is not worth it.

Or so I've heard....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

The app only works on the ship.

If you are late getting back onto the ship - they will call you. And they will not be nice or happy when they do. You do not want to get that call. Trust me.... And you better be in the taxi/car pulling up the port and able to describe to them the color of your shirt so they can see you running and hold the ramp for you. The walk (run) of shame onto the ship is not worth it.

Or so I've heard....

There are a few YouTube videos of people running last min and some even missing the ship.  

Are there ever sudden changes to the ship departure time, such as perhaps something like bad weather cropping up?

I'm thinking also of Bermuda, where there could be 2 overnights (and I've seen an occasional other port like that), leaving more time for "something to develop".

So... is there not any way to double check while off the ship?

GC

14 hours ago, f1rstxlas7 said:

My ship arrives in Port Canaveral at 1pm and doesn't depart until 6:30pm the following day and I have these questions:

1. Can I access the Daily from within the app when I'm off the boat? Or do they only provide it when connected via Wi-Fi or in paper form? I'd like to know the All Aboard time the day I'm off-ship. Is there any other way I can find that out in advance or at least the morning of?
  2. I'm planning on telling my Steward that I'll be staying overnight off-ship, but in the worst case scenario is there any person on the ship or otherwise in case we are late for the all aboard time? Please do not chastise me for asking this. I am planning on being back well before all aboard time, but I'd still like to know if there's someone I can contact in case this happens.

You can only use the app when connected to ship’s wifi. So it does not work off the ship. 

All aboard times are posted at the gangway. And in the daily on the day you arrive. 

The local agent contact information is always provided for each port. They can help you buy your own plane tickets to the next port if you missed the ship.

The ship will not wait for you. So don’t plan on calling the ship and asking them to wait an hour for you because you are still waiting to get on Dumbo. 

Your room steward will not check to see if you made it back and tell the captain to wait. 

‘Bottom line is that you need to be back by the all aboard time. 

Edited by BirdTravels

3 hours ago, jimsig said:

There are a few YouTube videos of people running last min and some even missing the ship.  

On our cruise last month, this fellow and his little girl thought it was funny that everyone was on their balconies, yelling at him for being late in Costa Maya. The General Manager was on the dock ready to execute the Captain's orders to pull the gangway and leave him behind. 

image.png.02b977e2e8a851b9fbbe94613ec0b058.png

image.png.cf4bb2383418fbb64cd0adcead08a471.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

On our cruise last month, this fellow and his little girl thought it was funny that everyone was on their balconies, yelling at him for being late in Costa Maya. The General Manager was on the dock ready to execute the Captain's orders to pull the gangway and leave him behind. 

image.png.02b977e2e8a851b9fbbe94613ec0b058.png

image.png.cf4bb2383418fbb64cd0adcead08a471.png

We did Alaska back in 2016.  After we got back to Seattle we checked our luggage with the port concierge and explored the city again.  When we picked up our luggage it wasn't too long before the ship was about to set sail on it's next cruise so we hung around to watch it depart.  We got as close as we could to watch it go.  A few people were hanging out on their balconies and saw us.  We were close enough that some yelled to us asking if we had missed the ship and said they would let someone know so we could get on.  We yelled back that we had just gotten off and was watching it leave.  We told them to have a blast.