Q Smokehouse on the Joy. Honest thoughts pls

acct1975

We went on the Encore, as we had 6 nights of specialty dining, so seemed worthy of trying it out once.

-The theming of the venue and layout was fun. Liked that there was an actual small bar near the back for people who just wanted a drink and to listen to the band. 

-Banana pudding, deviled eggs, cornbread and peach bourbon cocktail were outstanding.

-Love the live music. Country isn't even my real jam, but it was well done. It wasn't a "crew" band, it was a contracted band. Some classic country and some newer. If you want to avoid it, look at recent dailies from the cruise. It should list the live music in Q times.
-Service was good

Dislikes
-Entrees were meh (smokehouse platter and sausage plate). I had low expectations that hovered around "maybe a little worse than Famous Daves." I would put it at Famous Daves level, not really worse. So, in that respect, I suppose I was slightly pleasantly surprised. 
-Sides other than the cornbread weren't worth eating other than to give your palate a break from meat.

So if you have a lot of specialty dining credit, or if think Famous Daves is GREAT bbq, check it out. Otherwise, maybe go have a cocktail, deviled eggs and banana pudding at the bar while checking out the band.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, weltek said:

We went on the Encore, as we had 6 nights of specialty dining, so seemed worthy of trying it out once.

-The theming of the venue and layout was fun. Liked that there was an actual small bar near the back for people who just wanted a drink and to listen to the band. 

-Banana pudding, deviled eggs, cornbread and peach bourbon cocktail were outstanding.

-Love the live music. Country isn't even my real jam, but it was well done. It wasn't a "crew" band, it was a contracted band. Some classic country and some newer. If you want to avoid it, look at recent dailies from the cruise. It should list the live music in Q times.
-Service was good

Dislikes
-Entrees were meh (smokehouse platter and sausage plate). I had low expectations that hovered around "maybe a little worse than Famous Daves." I would put it at Famous Daves level, not really worse. So, in that respect, I suppose I was slightly pleasantly surprised. 
-Sides other than the cornbread weren't worth eating other than to give your palate a break from meat.

So if you have a lot of specialty dining credit, or if think Famous Daves is GREAT bbq, check it out. Otherwise, maybe go have a cocktail, deviled eggs and banana pudding at the bar while checking out the band.

Thank you! Equating this with Famous Dave's is really helpful. That macaroni and cheese is good (in an odd corn-filled way). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LISAARCH said:

Does anyone know what time the band starts playing?

We ate at Q on the Joy last week.  Our dinner reservation was for 5:30.  The band was starting to set up when we arrived and started playing around 6:00 pm.  They were pretty decent, but not spectacular.  Mostly played 1990 and onward music -- Randy Travis, Clint Black, Garth Brooks, etc.  We enjoyed the music.  It was at a volume that was fine for us during our meal.  We were seated in a booth up against the wall, furthest from the stage.

As for the meal, we thought it was OK.  Not wonderful.   The meats were good.  The baked potatoes were good.  The other sides were nothing special.  But we would eat there again.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We ate there back in early 2020 (right before the pandemic) and it was good. I remember thinking the meats were a bit salty for my taste. 

Q is definitely worth a try, but for me, there are other venues on the Joy (like Ocean Blue or Food Republic) that are better uses of a dining package and/or Latitudes vouchers.

We went to Cahneys our first night on the Joy and wanted to send back both of our rib eyes since they had so much gristle but we were pressed for time. The next night we went to Q and loved the food (sampler) , the peach margarita and the band. We had Cagneys booked for a second night and cancelled that and went to Q again. We probably will never do Cagneys on any ship if there is a Q or a Moderno on board.

10 hours ago, bobh002 said:

We went to Cahneys our first night on the Joy and wanted to send back both of our rib eyes since they had so much gristle but we were pressed for time. The next night we went to Q and loved the food (sampler) , the peach margarita and the band. We had Cagneys booked for a second night and cancelled that and went to Q again. We probably will never do Cagneys on any ship if there is a Q or a Moderno on board.

In Cagney’s I usually order either the lamb or the grilled fisherman’s platter.  If I want a steak on an NCL ship I either go to La Cucina or Le Bistro.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

It’s not good American BBQ! The food j had Nov 11 2023 on the joy was blah! Took almost 3 hrs to get in a restaurant that wasn’t even busy. The meat wasn’t seasoned. It was like it had been boiled no smoky taste. And the sides were an embarrassment to Americans. The cornbread smelled like melted plastic. The slaw was served hot. The chunky potato salad was boiled potatoes with butter on top and the baked beans were not! They were so pathetic! No seasoning. I do not recommend.