Travel adapter

Gingercruiser

Hi all, I’m going on Majestic Princess next week from Auckland. I’m in Sydney atm (great city btw!) and realised I haven’t got my US travel adapters for the ship. I’m from the U.K., so no chance of finding any here. Do they sell any onboard or lend you one? Thanks 

Hopefully someone with recent experience and/or photographs will add a post.  My fallible memory is that the Majestic had both 110V North American type B receptacles and 220V Schuko type F receptacles.  If your devices are 220V or dual voltage and have Europlugs, you might already be good to go.  Otherwise you will probably need some sort of adapter.

In addition to the HiFi store mentioned above, true luggage stores often have significant displays of adapters.  I would have to believe that downtown Sydney or The Rocks would have stores with adapters. 

We have seen adapters in some ship's stores, but I would hesitate to rely on that source

Enjoy your cruise!

From recollection the Majestic had Aussie and European outlets as well.  We were last on the ship in August 2021 and that was the case then.  There are also USB ports in the lamps.

ETA - my recollection was correct (on this feature at least).  Here's a picture I took of the outlets at the desk during our August 2021 cruise on the Majestic.

image.png.717947f1808206fa6154e7fbcb29f7f1.png

Edited by azbirdmom

Every ship I've been on so far (admittedly not all) have had both European style and US style plugs.  Every ship has had a European style behind the bed which I use for a CPAP.  The adapter I showed above (Amazon link) gives you a "pass-through" socket allowing you to plug in whatever was originally plugged into the wall along with a US style to feed whatever you need.  It eliminates the ridiculous "solution" of having to use an extension cord run across the floor.

2 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

image.png.717947f1808206fa6154e7fbcb29f7f1.png

Thank you for the picture azbirdmom!  One possible correction:  I think the second receptacle from the left is Chinese, not Australian.  This would make sense based on the Majestic's previous service.  Perhaps a knowledgeable person could confirm?

So I think what is pictured (L to R) is a Schuko (European), a Chinese(?), another Schuko, and a North American type B.

Cheers!

Edited by Cabunit

26 minutes ago, Cabunit said:

Thank you for the picture azbirdmom!  One possible correction:  I think the second receptacle from the left is Chinese, not Australian.  This would make sense based on the Majestic's previous service.  Perhaps a knowledgeable person could confirm?

So I think what is pictured (L to R) is a Schuko (European), a Chinese(?), another Schuko, and a North American type B.

Cheers!

Pretty sure what you are calling "Chinese" is really a UK socket.

If it’s not too late order one with usb plugs made into it. We’ve used the same one for years but have recently ordered one like that so we don’t have to stack phone/tablet charger on top of our adapter. Occasionally the stacking thing can be a pain especially when using the larger iPad charger cord power supply. When you have the usb plug in the adapter there’s no need for the transformer.
And yes I know apple devices don’t need the transformer for voltage purposes but you have to use it to plug into the older style plug adapters if they don’t have the usb.  

22 hours ago, Cabunit said:

Cheers!

We are both right.  The same plug type is used in Australia and China - see below for picture

image.png.00974bbb0c7a482819e8c6201045c6a3.png

5 hours ago, jennmaybe said:

We are doing our first Mediterranean cruise this year.  What kind of adapter do we need for that? 

I see you are from US. All Princess ships have a US outlet.  You may still want to bring some sort of multi plug or a power strip that does not have a surge protector  since it seems there are never enough outlets for all the devices you may want to charge,

for hotels you will want a European adapter.

Edited by Shelly97060

15 hours ago, jennmaybe said:

We are doing our first Mediterranean cruise this year.  What kind of adapter do we need for that? 

We went on a British Isles cruise in October.  Before the cruise - for months - my wife was asking about plugs and adapters.  I borrowed a gizmo from a friend who travels to Europe often, and I bought a really neat new gizmo that was supposed to cover all our needs!  When we got home I put both in our "future cruise" bag totally unused...didn't need any of it in the hotels we stayed in in London or on the ship.

18 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

I see you are from US. All Princess ships have a US outlet.  You may still want to bring some sort of multi plug or a power strip that does not have a surge protector  since it seems there are never enough outlets for all the devices you may want to charge,

for hotels you will want a European adapter.

8 hours ago, bjkTX said:

We went on a British Isles cruise in October.  Before the cruise - for months - my wife was asking about plugs and adapters.  I borrowed a gizmo from a friend who travels to Europe often, and I bought a really neat new gizmo that was supposed to cover all our needs!  When we got home I put both in our "future cruise" bag totally unused...didn't need any of it in the hotels we stayed in in London or on the ship.

Perfect!  Thank ya’ll so much for the info!  Helps me tremendously! 😄

7 minutes ago, jennmaybe said:

Any opinions on these adaptors?  Any difference other than style and location of plugs? 

I bought a larger version of the One Beat plug - with 3 plug ins on the front along with 4 USB connections.  I bought it because it had the highest ratings - but alas we didn't need it.  Looks great in the box though!!!

6 minutes ago, jennmaybe said:

Any opinions on these adaptors?  Any difference other than style and location of plugs?  

Either of those should work fine for use at the desk.  If you plan on using one behind the bed then if you use either of those plugs you "forfeit" being able to plug in whatever *was* plugged into the wall there (most likely one of the bedside lamps).  Post #4 shows the style that I use behind the bed and still be able to use the lamp(s).

1 minute ago, bjkTX said:

I bought a larger version of the One Beat plug - with 3 plug ins on the front along with 4 USB connections.  I bought it because it had the highest ratings - but alas we didn't need it.  Looks great in the box though!!!

Lol!  We’ll be staying in hotels in Greece and Spain, so, I’m thinking we’ll need adaptors.  

2 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Either of those should work fine for use at the desk.  If you plan on using one behind the bed then if you use either of those plugs you "forfeit" being able to plug in whatever *was* plugged into the wall there (most likely one of the bedside lamps).  Post #4 shows the style that I use behind the bed and still be able to use the lamp(s).

Good to know!  Thank you!