Miami transportation to POM with toddler

Arc_Lyte

Hi All,

First time travelling to miami with a 2.5yr old toddler. We will be staying in miami beach (will do airport to miami beach via miami beach airport express metrobus) and wanted to get advice from experienced members on whether or not car seats are required for ubers/taxis? I’ve googled and searched the forum and it seems like ubers with car seats dont exist in miami. Also open to suggestions on how to get from Miami beach to POM if ubers and taxis dont allow toddlers into  their vehicles without car seats? Or is it impossible and ill have to bring my own car seat?

Thanks!

Welcome to the boards! 😎

Car seats of booster seats are required if the vehicle has seat belts.  The easy solution is to bring your own seat - that way you know it is sized correctly and has been well maintained.  The airline will check the seat for free if you choose not to use it on your flight.  If your toddler is big enough there are inflatable booster seats that will not take up much room in your stateroom and can be used at the various port visits.

Some of the limo companies (South FLA limo and Larry's Limo are often suggested on this bord) may provide seats - for a price. 😬

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2023 at 10:17 PM, Arc_Lyte said:

is it impossible and ill have to bring my own car seat?

Thanks!

please bring your own seat. If you wouldn't drive your kid around without a car seat at home, you wouldn't want them to ride without a car seat in a taxi with a driver you've never met before either.

Similar situation as OP. Looks like I'm going to rent a car thru Costco Travel. The toddler car seat option is an extra $14.

The real PITA is going to be returning the car in downtown MIA and taking a shuttle to Port. I may drop off the fam at the POM,  return rental myself and uber/shuttle back to the POM.

1 hour ago, cruisewingman said:

Similar situation as OP. Looks like I'm going to rent a car thru Costco Travel. The toddler car seat option is an extra $14.

The real PITA is going to be returning the car in downtown MIA and taking a shuttle to Port. I may drop off the fam at the POM,  return rental myself and uber/shuttle back to the POM.

I think you've made the right decisions. We've also rented through Costco and used their provided toddler booster carseat, and I agree, drop the family and luggage off first and taxi or Uber to POM.

2 hours ago, cruisewingman said:

Thanks for the affirmation @Ashland

Any suggestions for trip home? A car rental seems like a lot of trouble to get from POM to MIA upon disembarkation.

I don't mind renting a car the day before the cruise because it gives us flexibility for at least one activity, dinner, and a ride to the POM.

I would only take my child without a car seat on a large bus. There might be option to reserve an uber with a car seat, or other transport. Or just take a bus offered by the cruise line. 

Also note, the car seats rental cars give are horrible. Made that mistake once, and will never again. Last trip that we flew, we took two car seats without. Airlines check it for free. It was a pain in the airport. But we were going to be in and out of a car the rest of the 5-day trip. 

For one day, I guess their own seat is ok. Also depends on the kid. 

9 hours ago, cruisewingman said:

Thanks for the affirmation @Ashland

Any suggestions for trip home? A car rental seems like a lot of trouble to get from POM to MIA upon disembarkation.

I don't mind renting a car the day before the cruise because it gives us flexibility for at least one activity, dinner, and a ride to the POM.

You can book your return from POM to MIA with a private company (we've used South Florida Shuttle and they provided a car seat) you can also book transfers with the cruiseline (large bus no car seat needed). Either option will work well for you. We have done both of these options and it's worked out great.

The car seats we have been provided from rental companies and private shuttle companies have worked out well for us in the past as most all of them have been pretty much brand new wrapped in plastic. You do install them yourself due to liability but that way we are assured they were installed properly.

Enjoy your cruise and you'll be glad you opted for making these transportation issues as easy as possible.

On 2/23/2023 at 1:31 AM, cruisewingman said:

bring your own car seat with you. It's the only way to ensure that you have a safe seat without an unknown history. And you already know how to install it. Installing an unfamiliar to you seat without reading its manual first is a PITA. Some may have rules you are not aware of, depending on the kid's age and size and mode of installation.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

23 hours ago, Flymia said:

Last trip that we flew, we took two car seats without. Airlines check it for free. It was a pain in the airport. But we were going to be in and out of a car the rest of the 5-day trip. 

just install it on the plane. It's also free, your kid is familiar with their seat, and it's a great way to ensure that the airport crew is not throwing your seat around.

I've traveled with a huge Britax Frontier and it was not a pain.

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a62126569/frontier-90-on-southwest-and-other-questions