Our May 14th Windstar cruise Bordeaux to Amsterdam

Second seating

Windstar has changed port times in St. Malo, so there will be no ship tours to Mont St. Michel.  This was one of the reasons we booked this trip!  Can anyone recommend a private company to do a 5 - 6 hour trip?  I really do not care about the inside of the church but really want to see the architecture.

Thank you,

Second seating

Stay in St. Malo. It’s a charming town with lots to see. I loved it.  I was sad on a WS 2018 cruise that was scheduled to stop there, but didn’t. We had weather problems and went to Cherbourg instead.  It was a nice town, but not as good as St. Malo.
went to Mt. st. michel on a land tour.  Mt. st. michel looks great from a distance. Up close it is very touristy with souvenir shops and expensive restaurants. The climb up to the cathedral isn’t worth it.  Mt. st. michel was a big disappointment.  

• Like 1

When we went to Mt. St. Michel.yes we were greeted by a bomb of tourism and crowds but once we climbed up no  one  was there that was 1993. I bet thinks have changed, it was low tide stupid me went out into the flats, really stupid me, I read/speak French  and got caught in the mud sink hole ( quick sand ) and sank about three feet. Scary and creepy. I loved the structure then but it would be grim with mobs of tourism. St. Malo is a beautiful town. Might be better to stay and enjoy the town. Mont St. Michel is a 45 minute drive from St. Malo. if you really want to get a guide  go with Tours by Locals, we have had great luck with them. 

Happy Sailing

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2023 at 8:50 AM, Badger Dad said:

In Roll Call, I provided information for anyone who wants to take a bus from St. Malo to Mount St. Michel.

Pardon my stupidity but where is the Roll Call for Bor/Ams ???

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from a month’s cruise down under and wasn’t logging into Cruise Critic.  Look for the Star Legend May 4 Barcelona-Bordeaux-Amsterdam thread.  A number of us are doing the B2B cruise option.  In any case, you may have seen that Windstar is now offering an excursion to Mont St. Michel.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Badger Dad said:

Just back from a month’s cruise down under and wasn’t logging into Cruise Critic.  Look for the Star Legend May 4 Barcelona-Bordeaux-Amsterdam thread.  A number of us are doing the B2B cruise option.  In any case, you may have seen that Windstar is now offering an excursion to Mont St. Michel.

Thank you, we were checking the excursions and have already signed up!  It is an early start but hopefully we will beat the crowds.

Second seating

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Second seating said:

We will be joining you because Françoise wants to visit Mont St. Michel again.  As for the crowds, I suspect it wasn’t much different in the Middle Ages with hoards of people on pilgrimage.  The shops back then probably sold religious souvenirs instead of T shirts and other made in China stuff.  See you in a few weeks.

• Like 1

First went to St Malo/Mont St Michel was in 1971 on Bastille Day (July 14)
Yes we had to wait for the tides.... Not sure if we are grabbing a taxi again or wandering around St Malo....  

How much is the ship tour ??? How many hours ???

Julie & Dick

• 3 weeks later...

We had just returned from a cruise around New Zealand and to Australia when you wrote, so this is the first time I have logged on to  Cruise Critic in awhile.  If you haven't found out the information by now, the Windstar 6 hour Mont St. Michel excursion costs $235 per person.  By road, it takes 45-60 minutes to drive there, so the actual time at Mont St. Michel will likely be about 3.5 hours.  We decided to take the ship's excursion because we can be assured that we will get back to the ship on time.