$25 deposit doesn't mean $25 cancellation. Correct?

dcsam

2 hours ago, dcsam said:

We're considering a Viking cruise and see the $25 deposit.  Not too shabby.  But if we were to cancel, it sounds as if there's still a cancellation fee - correct?

Thank you.

Yes the cancellation fee would $100 PP.   I'm looking to put a deposit down and asked this question.

I booked a cruise last spring  for January 2024 and paid the $25pp deposit. I canceled that cruise a few months ago and the only cancellation fee was the $25pp deposit. I could have moved the deposit to another cruise but let it go instead. 

"Cancelation" fees don't kick in until 120 days before the cruise date and you would have also paid in full at that time.  (This for Canadian and USA bookings) 

If you are cancelling before that they can only take the deposit, but you always have the option with Viking to "revise" the booking to a different date or itinerary and not lose anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So what exactly is the benefit of this $25 promotion?  I called Viking and was told the $25 deposit basically just puts a hold on the reservation.  We'd still need to pay a $100 cancellation fee if cancelled outside the 120 days.  Full payment is due end of February for a December, 2023 cruise.  Or can past passengers delay full payment?  It's all a bit confusing.  

19 hours ago, Symmes99 said:

I booked a cruise last spring  for January 2024 and paid the $25pp deposit. I canceled that cruise a few months ago and the only cancellation fee was the $25pp deposit. I could have moved the deposit to another cruise but let it go instead. 

Did you book that cruise before 12/1/21? If you did, it was subject to the RFG and would be different than booking after that date.

2 hours ago, dcsam said:

So what exactly is the benefit of this $25 promotion?  I called Viking and was told the $25 deposit basically just puts a hold on the reservation.  We'd still need to pay a $100 cancellation fee if cancelled outside the 120 days.  Full payment is due end of February for a December, 2023 cruise.  Or can past passengers delay full payment?  It's all a bit confusing.  

I think it is just a teaser -catches the eye and you think about booking. 

On 1/23/2023 at 7:55 PM, dcsam said:

I think you’re  right: it’s just a teaser.  But it worked.  We’re booked.🤷🏻‍♀️

It reduces the normal deposit from $500 pp down to $25 pp at time of booking - based on taking a shorter cruise of < 35 days.

• Like 1