Anchorage

janecambridge

Just wondering if anyone who has sailed Alaska to Anchorage, have stayed in Anchorage and done any tours for a few days?

Either that or stayed in Seattle for a few days.

We are looking at doing some private tours and accommodation post Alaska cruise in August/September.Thank you.. 

Stayed in Anchorage twice. One night before a Denali cruise tour on Oceania and another time for a cruise from Seward on Windstar.  Anchorage was very nice. Good hotels and restaurants & museum.  On a town drive back from Denali saw Moose on people's front lawns!

The drive from Anchorage to Seward was lovely.

9 hours ago, janecambridge said:

Now looking at Seward instead. Then moving down to Seattle for flight home. 

How do you plan to get to Seattle for you  flight home? Do you want options for Seward or Anchorage? Confused so can't offer any input. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, janecambridge said:

Just wondering if anyone who has sailed Alaska to Anchorage, have stayed in Anchorage and done any tours for a few days?

We are looking at doing some private tours and accommodation post Alaska cruise in August/September.Thank you.. 

What do you mean by "Anchorage"?  Cruise ships sail to either Whittier or Seward.  Or does your ship sail around the Kenai peninsula to Anchorage?

And yes, like most people, we've stayed in both Anchorage and in Vancouver for a few days before and after the cruise.  Please read through this forum and ask away!  🙂 

We stayed in Seattle both before and after a R/T Alaska with HAL.

We used the Metro and/or  walked around the city with no need for private tours.  There are also HOHO buses.

Edited by edinburgher

stayed in Anchorage and done any tours for a few days?

i just now suggested a one day trip on another thread.  Here is the link.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2910462-alyeska-resort-town-options/#comment-64710003

And should you google Anchorage scenic day drives, many other suggestions will appear in the results.

Edited by edinburgher

To be clear, it sounds like you are arriving by ship in Seward, then you will transfer to Anchorage via a cruise ship transfer or take the train.  Those are definitely the most convenient.  I'd pick Seward, Anchorage or the Kenai Peninsula anyday over Seattle.  IMHO, Seattle is getting a bit too scary and it's dirty.  

Since you are already in Seward, I'd make arrangements to stay there for one or two nights.  You have a few obstacles but don't let that stand in your way.  Get off the ship as late as possible.  Then arrange with your hotel or B and B to hold your luggage before check in.  You'll have to grab some kind of transporation and since that is not a problem for me, I cannot recommend anything other than contacting the Visitor's Bureau in Seward...they are GREAT and they will tell you currently what options are available.  It's too far to walk all the way downtown from the cruise terminal.  I know there is a summer shuttle with scheduled stops, BUT they might go to the cruise terminal in the summer.  Again, check with the Visitor's Bureau.  907-224-8051 They probably have limited hours now, but give them a call to get your plans going.  https://www.anchorage.net/listing/seward-chamber-of-commerce-conference-&-visitors-bureau/36989/  Then you have to make arrangements to get to Anchorage after leaving Seward.  You can take the train which would be lovely or possibly take the Park Connection which is a bus.  Again, talk to Visitor's Bureau for the most up to date information.  

There are a good number of things to do in Seward and depends on your interests.  I certainly recommend Exit Glacier, hiking from Miller's Landing and other places, or if you are really ambitious, hike Mt. Marathon.  It's aggressive.  Stop at the harbor when they come in with the fishing excursions and see them hang up all of the fish.  There are also the nice shops in town...if you like that kind of thing.  It depends on your abilities and wallet.