Mixbook photo book offer from Celebrity-my experience

GottaKnowWhen

Not long after we returned from an early December Mexican cruise, I got an email from Celebrity with a Special Discount offer and a link to Mixbook. I have no idea why I got this, maybe everyone does? I vaguely recall having seen this once before…

The offer was time limited, and in any case I was time limited. I spent a few hours pulling together, editing, formatting and arranging some of my photos from the Mexico trip, submitted the book for processing. 

For comparison, I have previously done 12 or so photo books via Blurb. Those have all been much longer, have included text as well as photos, and took me several weeks each to assemble.

The result from Mixbook:

- the photo reproduction was superb! Good color rendition, true to my submitted .jpg files. 
   - I am not so impressed with the binder but I am used to 100 page Blurb productions, and a skinny 20 page Mixbook probably isn’t a fair comparison. It is solid enough, just not as flexible.

My conclusion, if you get such a discount offer, take advantage! Next time I will not do a quickie simple book, but rather will use the discount towards a larger book using some of my archived images.

Stan

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

How much does this cost?

Sorry, I don’t have the invoice handy. Maybe $1-2.00 per page? The prices vary according to size of the book (e.g. 10x10 vs. 11x14) and the number of pages. As I recall, the Offer was for a 20 page book basically free plus cost of shipping. Add more pages, get a larger size, pay more. I am sure the Mixbook website would have the details.

Edit to add additional comment…

The Layout process can be as simple or complex as you like. Simple: upload a bunch of images, push the button to have their software assemble those into a book. Complex: layout each page, using their preset page layouts and/or customizing each page.

The layout creation and editing is different from Blurb’s. Better or worse? I am not sure, just different from what I am used to. At some point Adobe Lightroom added a Book module using Blurb as publisher but using Lightroom Print processes for layout. Better or worse? For me, different enough that I stuck with the Blurb software rather than Adobe.

I will probably not switch to Mixbook for future projects, but if I get another $30 or $40 offer, I will take advantage.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have used Mixbook a number of times for photo greeting cards and been very happy.  I was tempted to do the Mixbook offer I got from Celebrity in December but just procrastinated and ran out of time.  My Dad has made many books with Blurb that I have copies of so am familiar with their product and appreciate the comparison.

A few final details because inquiring minds want to know. I shoulda/coulda done this at the start, but posting the original note had been on my mind since I unboxed my Mixbook and saw the quality of the work. And then I did the post last night when the details were not at hand. Sorry!

The offer from Celebrity Captains Club was for a Free 21 page 8.5 x 8.5" hard cover photo book [valued at $31.38] or a $31.00 credit on any photo book of your choice... 

My invoice showed that I purchased an 8.5x8.5" Classic Square Matte Hardcover - 21 pages at a price of $41.78 Discount of $36.78 for a net charge of $5.00 plus shipping and tax for a total cost of $14.83.

The Blurb books I have done with less than 50-60 pages I have done with a softcover so I don't have a direct comparison as far as the hardcover binding on this skinny Mixbook sample. But I would probably choose a softcover binding option for something like this. 

For those who are totally new to this idea, note that a 21 page book is only 11 sheets of paper, printed front and back. Or of course you could do a layout with just the front sides printed. I have gravitated to a style which uses the front side of the page for larger more important images, the backside for 2, 3, 4 or a larger collage of smaller less important images.

Try it! It is a fun way to share your photos.

Stan