Embarkation day with minor mobility issues

KasperGutman

19 hours ago, DuckInntheH2O said:

Generally, rollators and folding wheelchairs can be taken on a tender if you're capable of doing steps to get to the tender. Electric scooters are too heavy, they will not pick them up. We just found out the Celebrity's newest ships (Edge, etc) have a 'Magic Carpet', a flat platform that takes 100 people directly to the tender for boarding (no steps!). Anyone have any experience with this?

No experience with the Magic Carpet yet, but take a look here:

https://spintheglobe.net/dir/2018/12/07/wheelchair-accessible-cruise-ship-tendering-on-the-celebrity-edge-magic-carpet/

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 6:49 AM, Paul Renye said:

Hi Ladyj1138,

my wife and I are booked on a 29 night cruise to Alaska down to  the Panama Canal, ending in Ft. Lauderdale. I’m on a scooter but we are booked in a suite, space is not an issue for us. The cruise line has requirements mostly for width, 22”, and length. I have a buzzaround EX because I'm a big guy, 300lbs. I chose this scooter because it comes apart in 5 pieces. I figured I could spread the pieces around if needed for space. I also had to think of weight because my wife has to move the sections around. The heaviest piece is only 50 pounds. They lighter versions too. I attached a brochure for my scooter FYI.

The cruise line can also put you in contact with a company that rents scooters.

buzzaround-ex-scooter-brochure.pdf 490.38 kB · 9 downloads

The Triaxe is 19 inches wide, holds up to 300# and fold to stand on end, it’s tail! Less space than a carry on suitcase, weight is about 50#.  My wheelchair is about 24 inches wide and doesn’t do through most cabin doors. 

triaxe_tour_spec_sheet.pdf

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 2:14 AM, BiscayneBaby said:

Some ships you have to go up back down and around to get where you actually want to be.  To be honest, most ships are not accessible friendly. They have to meet minor requirements demanded by the us gov’t to operate and port in US, want to go on helipad and have a look around? Forget it!!!! Until it happens to them, they aren’t thinking about you. Just the way it is.

There are getting to be more and more ships that not only have openers on the cabin, but also on public restrooms.  Getting out to the promenade deck is near impossible without and aid!  The doors are heavy and supposedly water tight. 

its been a while since I’ve seen a ship with the kitchen in the middle of a deck which used to be the main cause of the up and over routine! 

On 7/7/2023 at 4:43 PM, kokopelli-az said:

Thats neat but the port still matters.  Some have steps to get up to the pier.  Others there is a nice dock/pier but then you are in soft sand!