Embarkation day with minor mobility issues

KasperGutman

Hi everybody! I’m a 100% disabled veteran who has been on oxygen 24/7 since 2019. There was a time when I was active and travelled extensively. By air, sea and land. Since the introduction of O2 I have pretty much been a vegetable. So I got a bug up my butt, sorry, and told the Bride we are going on a cruise to Alaska, Panama Canal disembarking in Ft. Lauderdale.
So I bought a mobility scooter. I figured they can’t shoot me, right? American Airlines was great. Ride the scooter to the gate and they gate check it. Then upon arrival they give me my scooter back at the gate. That’s what they say anyway. Had to have the portable O2 concentrator cleared and reassure the airline I had sufficient battery backup. 
The cruise is where my questions lie. Embarkation shouldn’t be a problem because they board with a sky bridge thing like the airlines. Now, what happens at port of calls. If it is a gangway will I be able to get off the ship? If it too steep, will they help. 
any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. 
By the way, I can walk, just not very far.

Edited by Paul Renye
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paul Renye said:

The cruise is where my questions lie. Embarkation shouldn’t be a problem because they board with a sky bridge thing like the airlines. Now, what happens at port of calls. If it is a gangway will I be able to get off the ship? If it too steep, will they help. 

You don't say what cruise line you will be on but my husband has a scooter and he has never had any trouble getting off the any ship at any port stop where you have to use a gangway.   There is always someone there to help.   And if they are not right there, the employee swiping the cards for passengers to get off will call someone over to assist.   Do not attempt to use the gangway without their assistance.   Just wait until someone comes to help.  They are very good at this and certainly don't want any accidents.    Same when you return to the ship.  Just wait at the bottom of the gangway for assistance if someone isn't right there to help.   They will be on the look-out for passengers needing assistance.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Paul...go for it. Since a bad car accident to my DH our cruising style has changed but that doesnt stop us. An O2 concentrator for the room(rented) (and a personal portable one) a motorized WC and a recliner (rented) to sleep upright, allows DH and I the freedom to cruise again. Our favorite vacation. I always contact the Special Needs/Assist Dept of the cruiseline we are sailing with and have had them always work with us to make cruising happen again! 😎 Some ports of call(especially tender ports) may be challenging but with a little planning, go, enjoy and Bon Voyage!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

i have cruised 9 times..i always have a mobilty scooter with me..no issues getting on and off in port other than sometimes it can be a bit steep depending on the tide.. but if you are well experienced with your scooter you should be fine..enjoy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/16/2023 at 6:56 PM, ginnynj said:

Paul...go for it. Since a bad car accident to my DH our cruising style has changed but that doesnt stop us. An O2 concentrator for the room(rented) (and a personal portable one) a motorized WC and a recliner (rented) to sleep upright, allows DH and I the freedom to cruise again. Our favorite vacation. I always contact the Special Needs/Assist Dept of the cruiseline we are sailing with and have had them always work with us to make cruising happen again! 😎 Some ports of call(especially tender ports) may be challenging but with a little planning, go, enjoy and Bon Voyage!

That's what I'm worrying about with the rollator. The ports where we have to get on the tender.

Edited by shadow 123

On 4/25/2023 at 2:28 PM, shadow 123 said:

That's what I'm worrying about with the rollator. The ports where we have to get on the tender.

As long as you can navigate the steps on and off of the tender, you will be fine.  The crew will help you carry your rollator on and off the tender.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 8:05 AM, gunnywife said:

Benthayer:  I wish we were going on the same cruise.  You sound like a lot of fun and ready " to go with the flow" no matter what.

Thank you.  I tell private guides they have to have a sense of humor because something will definitely go wrong!  

On 4/16/2023 at 11:42 AM, Paul Renye said:

Hi everybody! I’m a 100% disabled veteran who has been on oxygen 24/7 since 2019. There was a time when I was active and travelled extensively. By air, sea and land. Since the introduction of O2 I have pretty much been a vegetable. So I got a bug up my butt, sorry, and told the Bride we are going on a cruise to Alaska, Panama Canal disembarking in Ft. Lauderdale.
So I bought a mobility scooter. I figured they can’t shoot me, right? American Airlines was great. Ride the scooter to the gate and they gate check it. Then upon arrival they give me my scooter back at the gate. That’s what they say anyway. Had to have the portable O2 concentrator cleared and reassure the airline I had sufficient battery backup. 

They do help with getting you down a Ganges especially if there is a wooden box or larger platform that is stairs!  

i can tell you I’ve seen people on large scooters actually carried up gangways when necessary.  Both I believe were steps.  

Best I can tell if the ramp is flat they will elg push you up a gangway as most scooters aren’t powerful enough.  However, I’ve found one cruise line that has idles in their gangway.  Think 1x2 strips across the walking area, although they are metal.   That line uses it for in and the flat one for out.  If you approach the bumpy one they will just tell you to drive to the other one where they will stop the traffic and let you go up the downstairs case so to speak! 

hope you have a great time! 

BTw, on the ship end of some of those skyways the last area is pretty steep but there are people there helping you not go down or turn over.  

On 4/22/2023 at 11:57 AM, shadow 123 said:

Recently bought a rollator. 1st time using it on my next cruise. My question is how do I get out on to the deck through the double doors? Should I back into them or go forward? Thank you

Those are so heavy you really need help.  And my scooter would bottom out on one ship.  When I had my rollator I could walk well enough that I cough open the door sideways and hanging onto the door just flip the rollator out with one hand and I was off.  I think I’ve now been on one ship that had automatic doors.  Most have them on the pool deck.  

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 2:28 PM, shadow 123 said:

we were on a tender where the sea were a bit rough.  A 89 woman we’d seen mostly in a wheelchair was having trouble maneuvering to the opening to get off.  I got hubby to help her because I was taller and could hang onto things overhead.  I had a rollator at the time. 

so far I’ve not been told no for any tender.  The biggest problems is there can be stairs on either end.  My scooter is designed to be drug from the fron bumper, like a suitcase.  At one port the crew just lifted it straight up while I walked the stairs.  At that time hubby could have carried it up in one hand as it folds nicely. 

i’d think as long as the seas aren’t really too rough you shouldn’t have any trouble with a rollator on a tender.   They will normally seat you really close and they help everyone on and off by offering a hand, or two!  

Hint take a strap to tie the rollator onto various things.  Mine is a 1” wide strap with a quick release type connector.  I’d say it’s about a meter long.  I’ve needed it in some smaller vans  to keep it from bouncing around.  And on a hop on hop off in Dubai to keep it in place.   —- that driver was nuts as we were thrown forward Nearly hitting the glass when he regularly slammed on the brakes at speed bumps! 

• Like 2

On 4/27/2023 at 10:59 AM, Schoifmom said:

As long as you can navigate the steps on and off of the tender, you will be fine.  The crew will help you carry your rollator on and off the tender.

In fact they insist!  Hubby picked up both mine and his mothers and started down the metal narrow stairs and they nearly panicked!  When we got back they were waiting for us!  Actually at the bottom boarding he got fussed at! 

For what it is worth, a few ships have steps inside and a floater loading area.  Last May I discovered that Oceania Riveria had an elevator to the lower area.  It’s very small but works. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2023 at 9:22 PM, Benthayer Gonbak said:

so far I’ve not been told no for any tender.  The biggest problems is there can be stairs on either end.  My scooter is designed to be drug from the fron bumper, like a suitcase.  At one port the crew just lifted it straight up while I walked the stairs.  At that time hubby could have carried it up in one hand as it folds nicely. 

Can you tell me what kind of scooter you have please? That sounds very convenient.

3 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

Can you tell me what kind of scooter you have please? That sounds very convenient.

The scooter is a Triaxe.  Mine is a Tour.  I believe it has been replaced with another name.  Do NOT get one with pneumatic no flat tires!  That “feature” has changed to solid tires now.  The other model I believe is a Sport, it has handbrakes, front wheel drive I believe, and does have a lead battery available but it won’t make it on planes I’m told.  I think the tour has a better place to put your feet too. 

You can find them listed on Amazon but I bought mine from a dealer.  For what it is worth hubby is about 5’10” and finds the length comfortable to pull.  He is strong enough to pick it up, folded by grabbing near the rear of the seat, with one hand, and carry it up a flight of stair.  It’s listed at about 50lbs. 

if you fly with any of these devices it’s a good idea to carry the specs to help the airline, especially overseas, fill out their paperwork correctly.   We carry a few extras copies for people who stop us on cruises nd ask about it.  

also, the battery is carried like an old school lunch box.  Please note too that Lithium batteries are not cheap! That and the quick folding makes these more expensive than those that can be purchased for home use.

hth

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2023 at 10:19 AM, KasperGutman said:

When I first read the replies, I had two reactions at the same time:

1. Hard no, I am not nearly old enough to admit to needing something like a rollator.

and

2. It actually makes sense and depending on the length of time waiting, it might easily save my cruise to have it.

I'm responding primarily to the Hard No. Please admit your disability to yourself. I suffered needlessly for decades because I wouldn't. So PLEASE, everyone who reads this, admit your body's needs. Even if it's something that isn't really disabling, but your body still needs it. Don't suffer needlessly.

Case Study: me.

I became disabled somewhere around age 18. I refused to admit to being disabled even a few years later when I was sleeping almost all of the day, and dragging myself around when I wasn't.

I refused to admit being disabled even though our bedroom was up the top of stairs and I was climbing the stairs like a toddler. Hands as well as feet to go up, and bumping down on my bottom to go down.

I refused to admit being disabled even when I had tantrums over trivial things.

I eventually admitted to being disabled around age 40.

Using a cane to walk around reduced how much it hurt, and increased my effective range.

I now use a rollator (one of the ones I can sit on). It's carbon fibre, and it's very light. It does occupy a lot of space in the boot (trunk?), but it's worth that effective loss of space.

Admit your disability to your doctor, to your family and close friends, and most of all to yourself. Using the tools designed to make your life less hard increases what and how much you can do.

• Like 6

At 54, I’m no longer fighting with my limitations. I’m using wheelchair service at the airport regularly. Last month, I went to a conference for work, and I rented a scooter for the whole week despite feeling embarrassed in front of my able bodied colleagues. If I didn’t have the scooter, I would have been miserably hobbling about. 

We’ve done two cruises in the last year, and I haven’t had a mobility device yet. We are cruising RT out of San Diego this November, and I’ve heard horror stories about embarkation there. I’m debating renting either a wheelchair or a scooter for the cruise. I’d prefer the scooter (always have one in Vegas), but I’m concerned about the space limitations on the ship especially if it’s fully booked. 

thoughts? 

Hi Ladyj1138,

my wife and I are booked on a 29 night cruise to Alaska down to  the Panama Canal, ending in Ft. Lauderdale. I’m on a scooter but we are booked in a suite, space is not an issue for us. The cruise line has requirements mostly for width, 22”, and length. I have a buzzaround EX because I'm a big guy, 300lbs. I chose this scooter because it comes apart in 5 pieces. I figured I could spread the pieces around if needed for space. I also had to think of weight because my wife has to move the sections around. The heaviest piece is only 50 pounds. They lighter versions too. I attached a brochure for my scooter FYI.

The cruise line can also put you in contact with a company that rents scooters.

buzzaround-ex-scooter-brochure.pdf

On 5/24/2023 at 2:58 PM, ladyj1138 said:

At 54, I’m no longer fighting with my limitations.

thoughts? 

I'm 53. With (middle) age comes wisdom, they say.

I use a walker all the time, even within my house. I've had too many falls and near falls. One broken wrist is enough.
(walker = zimmer frame? rollator? The ones that have four wheels, a small basket, and can be turned around to be a reasonably comfortable seat.)

I'm working to go on my first cruise. We don't know when, exactly, we'll be doing it. We have two critical issues. The first is my husband's effort - money.
The second is my effort. I'm training my body and endurance. I've gone into the ship data for the ships that leave my home port, and found out how long they are.
I'm not going to be ready to cruise until I can walk at least half the length of the ship.
(Probably P&O Australia or Princess.)

For those whose limitations can stretch with physiotherapy, use your cruise as motivation. It's working well for me!

Also, does anyone have any info on P&O Aus or Princess and their friendliness to people who might suddenly have to sit on a chair at some random location in the ship?

(Or other disabilities!)

Edited by JVes

Some ships you have to go up back down and around to get where you actually want to be.  To be honest, most ships are not accessible friendly. They have to meet minor requirements demanded by the us gov’t to operate and port in US, want to go on helipad and have a look around? Forget it!!!! Until it happens to them, they aren’t thinking about you. Just the way it is.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from a 7 day trip to Canada Boston to Boston. It was the 1st time I used my rollator. I was very appreciative but I must tell you I am so glad I took it. It really helped walking from the pier to the ship in Boston. That's 1 heck of a distance. Also ,if I had to wait in line for dining I could sit. I'm glad I took it and I am gonna keep taking it.

It was a bit awkward getting it in and out of the room. I had to fold it up and kind of drag it out the door. But it is a heavy duty 1 so I was comfortable with doing that.

I also went out on the deck with it which was something that was very concerning to me. I didn't know if I'd be able to get through the doors. I did, there was no problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another option to consider is rental. Special Needs at Sea offers rentals of both rollators and electric scooters at many US ports. (specialneedsatsea.com) We have rented scooters several times and hubby loves them because he doesn't get tired as easily, has fun joking around while riding and they are conveniently found in your cabin when you check in. (you leave them there when you check out)

When we get to the pier, we always get wheelchair assistance through the pier and its waiting lines. A crew member pushes it through with him in it. All you need to do is ask for the service. If no wheelchair is presently available at the door, then they will ask you to sit in a folding chair until a crew member returns with an empty wheelchair.

The only disadvantage with a scooter is that you need a handicapped room or a large regular suite to accommodate the space to stow them in you cabin. We know that they fit in a HAL Vista suite (on some of their newer ships) because the sofa is placed before the bed (which is next to the balcony window).

Also note that most cabin doors are 23" unless they are handicap accessible and then they are 32".

Generally, rollators and folding wheelchairs can be taken on a tender if you're capable of doing steps to get to the tender. Electric scooters are too heavy, they will not pick them up. We just found out the Celebrity's newest ships (Edge, etc) have a 'Magic Carpet', a flat platform that takes 100 people directly to the tender for boarding (no steps!). Anyone have any experience with this?