Embarkation day with minor mobility issues

KasperGutman

I feel a little strange posting this here, alongside with people who have actual serious issues, but I am not sure where else to post it...

In March, I will be sailing out of Athens on the Norwegian Jade and I am trying to figure out the best time to arrive at the port to minimize  the amount of time I spend standing in one place. The reason for this I have had some bad experiences with back pain if I have to spend too long standing in one place. (For example, an hour waiting in the immigration line at CDG back in October pretty much wrecked my first three days in France.) I still have reasonably good (not great, but sufficient...)walking endurance, but for whatever reason, my back cannot handle standing still for very long.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

5 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Have you considered a rollator that has a seat you can sit on if necessary?   You may not need it very often, but if you do need it, you'll be glad you have a place to sit.

That is exactly the reason I bought my walker . Last year I went on a trip with Norwegian cruise lines and waited 3 hours to embark. I have a problem standing in  place for long periods of time. I bought my walker, haven't used it yet but I am going to take it with me on my next trip in Mat of this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I also do the rollator for that purpose. I don't always need it on the ship or in port (I then use a cane), but I have it if my back starts acting up. I appear too young to be disabled (and people give me snide looks when I don't want to give up my seat on a bus or restaurant), but it shows the world that you can not judge a person by the outside. 

If you cannot do the rollator, tell the workers at the port you need assistance. It never hurts to ask. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I first read the replies, I had two reactions at the same time:

1. Hard no, I am not nearly old enough to admit to needing something like a rollator.

and

2. It actually makes sense and depending on the length of time waiting, it might easily save my cruise to have it.

The argument for 2 was strengthened by a flare up of back pain that occurred last night, that left me taking 25 minutes to cover a distance that would normally be covered in 7 or 8.

I can either accept this now or wait until after I fall and seriously hurt myself (balance is pretty bad too - diabetic neuropathy has taken a toll). Rationally, it is a slam dunk decision and yet it is a line I really don't want to cross.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2023 at 5:30 PM, GUT2407 said:

Consider wheelchair assisted boarding, or a Walker with a seat as there will also probably be times where you need to stand around once on board.

I made sure that it had a seat and that a held a lot of weight. I'm a little Leary cause I've never done it before but I am going to take it and see what happens.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KasperGutman said:

1. Hard no, I am not nearly old enough to admit to needing something like a rollator.

and

2. It actually makes sense and depending on the length of time waiting, it might easily save my cruise to have it.

The argument for 2 was strengthened by a flare up of back pain that occurred last night, that left me taking 25 minutes to cover a distance that would normally be covered in 7 or 8.

I can either accept this now or wait until after I fall and seriously hurt myself (balance is pretty bad too - diabetic neuropathy has taken a toll). Rationally, it is a slam dunk decision and yet it is a line I really don't want to cross.

I'm 74 and I totally understand. But unfortunately it's reality.

• Like 3

I am not even 50 yet and it was a hard reality to accept that I needed the rollator. It wasn't until I spent 40 minute in line at the Chicago Bear's 100th convention and the pain in my back was so bad, I had to leave early and missed the next day that I decided it was time. Hope you have an enjoyable cruise.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 6:19 PM, KasperGutman said:

and

I first got my rollator because I couldn’t stand for long periods of time.  I had more than a few older women tell me they were glad to see me with mine as their husband didn’t want to use his on the ship.  On a rough day you will e the only one that isn’t walking drunk! 

i got the larger wheels and when my Dad called for recommendations I pointed out that there are models that fold flat and are easier to put in trunks but also ther are a few that conver from a rollator to a transport chair.   He bought the later although I think he has to take some parts off. He’s 98.

as a fun fact I used to get the airlines to transport me on the golf carts but hubby was on his own.  He would take the carryons and put them on the seat of the rollator and walk to the gate.  There often was room enough for his carryon.

In large airports when I was walking better I put my carryon on the rollator and removed it when I was forced to stand in lines and needed to sit down.  Please rethink your philosophy that anyone with a rollator isn’t creative enough to make it look like an asset!  Worse case consider the seat canes.

btw, just because you have the rollator onboard doesn’t mean you need to use it when you know you won’t be standing long.  My MIL wouldn’t use hers at all onboard!  

• Like 2

If you just need to sit look up walkstool on the internet. It comes in 2 sizes, folds to almost nothing and can fit in a tote bag when not in use. We used them on walking tours on a Med cruise several years ago and they made the trip doable.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2023 at 6:19 PM, KasperGutman said:

and

I too became disabled recently (at 56 yrs old). I'm traveling first time since. I'm hoping no one gives me hard time. Don't really want to explain the 6 months in hospital & weeks in ventilator. Had to learn to eat, breath & walk again. Still bringing wheelchair & walker. Happy ⛴️

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/13/2023 at 12:57 PM, Rose Violet said:

I too became disabled recently (at 56 yrs old). I'm traveling first time since. I'm hoping no one gives me hard time. Don't really want to explain the 6 months in hospital & weeks in ventilator. Had to learn to eat, breath & walk again. Still bringing wheelchair & walker. Happy ⛴️

Don't give lousy people that judge you any real estate in your mind. I'm 74 and it took me a long time to learn this. I was in line 1 time to enbark and a man started yelling at me because I had a cain. This was about 10 years ago and it really bothered me. Since then, I don't give a crap! You keep doing your thing

Ps.. Hope you're feeling better

Edited by shadow 123
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick follow up. The embarkation day turned out to be worrying over nothing. I did have 75 minutes or so of waiting, but there was seating provided, so it was all good. By the time I saw the post about the walkstool, it was too late to order one before I left on the cruise, but I really like the idea of them and am pretty sure I will get one before any future trips.(Thanks J-M!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@KasperGutman Thanks for following up with your experience. Just remember that the next embarkation port might be different, or having an off day. Bring whatever you need to for future travel so you can explore the world safely and in comfort. 🙂

If you don't mind my adding this additional thought, I also hope you feel justified using any assistive device that helps you. As a person with waxing/waning mobility challenges (still only in her 40's!), I spent several years resisting doing things that would have made my life easier, and I gave up some experiences I should have been able to enjoy with my family.

What helps me is seeing it this way: by *always* telling airlines I require wheelchair assistance at the airport, I'm helping everyone who comes later by increasing visibility that people like us are out there and wanting to travel. More requests for assistance means more staffing will be maintained. It's better to request service and then not need it than to regret not setting up assistance that would've made the travel experience better.

Sometimes I carry my folding cane out, really visibly, in crowds, instead of in my bag until I need it, more as a marker for others to notice that my hidden disability even exists. Being bumped into can be really problematic for me, and being pre-boarded on a flight can make me feel super conspicuous if I'm having a good day and not yet limping.

I would never judge someone else by the standards I held myself up to. But when the answer to my kids' requests to do something became, "Sorry, Mommy can't stop for [x] today..." (because parking was blocks away and I was exhausted and in pain), I realized that it was actually selfish not to talk to my doctor about a disabled parking placard. Would I ever have asked just for myself? Probably not.🙄

I wish I didn't sometimes feel ashamed of my body's weaknesses, but I certainly don't want others ever to judge themselves so harshly, and thinking of them makes it easier for me to accept help.

--willo

• Like 6

The other thing I would urge is using whatever assistive devices you need before you become too exhausted/sore/etc. I would rather use my chair to get somewhere and then enjoy myself, rather than wearing myself out getting there and being in too much pain to enjoy myself.

Edited by Slugsta
typo
  • Like 5

If you use a rollator when you de-plane at the airport and you have a roll-on carry-on, a c-pap machine  and a purse, how do you handle it all. That's my dilemma. right now I'm considering taking a rollator so I would have it on the cruise.  But It would probably be easier to get a wheelchair at the airport.  Please tell me about any experiences you might have had.

Does your rollator have a seat?  Put your carryon on it, get a backpack for the CPAP and purse contents, take a cloth bag to use a purse while on the cruise, one that you can stuff in the backpack or carryon.  Or get a crossbody purse.  I have a crossbody bag that stuffs in my backpack and comes out after I get on the plane.  I can wear it and the backpack together.  EM

• Like 3

On 4/5/2023 at 8:01 AM, gunnywife said:

If you use a rollator when you de-plane at the airport and you have a roll-on carry-on, a c-pap machine  and a purse, how do you handle it all. That's my dilemma. right now I'm considering taking a rollator so I would have it on the cruise.  But It would probably be easier to get a wheelchair at the airport.  Please tell me about any experiences you might have had.

You can still get a wheelchair at the airport.  The wheelchair assistants will help with your carry-ons and you can fold (make sure you get an actual foldable rollator) and hold your rollator.

• Like 1

I have definitely decided to take the collapsible rollator.  My carry-on fits right on the seat when I am using it.  And if I get a wheelchair at the airport I'll do as you suggested and hold it on my lap.  I'm  not the only one doing this. Thank you all for your suggestions.  Much appreciated.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 3:59 PM, willoL said:

@KasperGutman Thanks for following up with your experience. Just remember that the next embarkation port might be different, or having an off day. Bring whatever you need to for future travel so you can explore the world safely and in comfort. 🙂

If you don't mind my adding this additional thought, I also hope you feel justified using any assistive device that helps you. As a person with waxing/waning mobility challenges (still only in her 40's!), I spent several years resisting doing things that would have made my life easier, and I gave up some experiences I should have been able to enjoy with my family.

What helps me is seeing it this way: by *always* telling airlines I require wheelchair assistance at the airport, I'm helping everyone who comes later by increasing visibility that people like us are out there and wanting to travel. More requests for assistance means more staffing will be maintained. It's better to request service and then not need it than to regret not setting up assistance that would've made the travel experience better.

Sometimes I carry my folding cane out, really visibly, in crowds, instead of in my bag until I need it, more as a marker for others to notice that my hidden disability even exists. Being bumped into can be really problematic for me, and being pre-boarded on a flight can make me feel super conspicuous if I'm having a good day and not yet limping.

I would never judge someone else by the standards I held myself up to. But when the answer to my kids' requests to do something became, "Sorry, Mommy can't stop for [x] today..." (because parking was blocks away and I was exhausted and in pain), I realized that it was actually selfish not to talk to my doctor about a disabled parking placard. Would I ever have asked just for myself? Probably not.🙄

I wish I didn't sometimes feel ashamed of my body's weaknesses, but I certainly don't want others ever to judge themselves so harshly, and thinking of them makes it easier for me to accept help.

--

Good to hear from you again Willow. How was your cruise last day to Iceland ? You always have such good advice. Thank you

On 2/13/2023 at 12:57 PM, Rose Violet said:

I've had good luck with people not wanting explanations except whether I can transfer!  I have been on a few tours, mostly Germany where the guide I think trained by running up the alps!  And no, I wasn’t the last straggler!   

The people on the gangways are pretty good at knowing how much power you need and that some electric wheelchairs need to be pushed a bit.  Their help with the walker used to trip me!  My hubby was stronger but they didn’t want him helping me.  I found it easier to hold the handrail and just give them the walker.  But ultimately, they will try to help you in a manner that you say is actually helpful —- remember they don’t want to fill out paperwork either! 

I’ve seen the gangway help go farther away from the gangway to help someone with a dead scooter battery being pushed.  Several people had helped off and on but the crew had the strength to do it quickly! 

There are a lot of people who will comment, but mostly to say they are glad to see you aren’t letting things slow you down and that you are getting out and doing what you want to do. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 10:41 PM, KasperGutman said:

Just a quick follow up. The embarkation day turned out to be worrying over nothing. I did have 75 minutes or so of waiting, but there was seating provided, so it was all good. By the time I saw the post about the walkstool, it was too late to order one before I left on the cruise, but I really like the idea of them and am pretty sure I will get one before any future trips.(Thanks J-M!)

There is also a 3 post stool, think camp stool like, that will carry more weight than the cane chairs do.  I first saw it a Magellan which sells travel cases and clothes. 

On 4/5/2023 at 8:01 AM, gunnywife said:

The rollator isn’t always available at connecting gates.  And sometimes only at baggage on international flights.  But you are right carrying a cpap etc adds to clutter.  If I get my rollator at a connecting gate I would fold it and hold it in my lap while the skycap had the cpap over their shoulder.  When my hubby was made to walk he would take the rollator and place his carry On and cpap on the seat and push it in the corridors!   We now have 2 CPAPs and batteries and charges for my wheelchair so I made a bag that they would fit in and just meet overhead requirements.  The problem is that it is heavy to carry. 

Be creative, I wore my carryon, it has hidden straps, while I walked with my rollator.  The bag was heavy but I needed the seat for another bag!  

Also, there is a lot more storage on some airport chairs than there looks to be!  

On 4/10/2023 at 2:57 PM, gunnywife said:

I have definitely decided to take the collapsible rollator.  My carry-on fits right on the seat when I am using it.  And if I get a wheelchair at the airport I'll do as you suggested and hold it on my lap.  I'm  not the only one doing this. Thank you all for your suggestions.  Much appreciated.

you are reminding me on a trip years ago where I had crutches as I’d just injured an ankle.  In the St Louis airport my husband pushed me, I pushed the luggage cart and the crutches sat on my shoulder and on top of the luggage!  I’m still not sure how we did as well as we did  but we made all the turns first try, as we went to the rental car.  We still laugh about how silly we looked and how well we did!