Our S2S Adventure - Freedom / Spirit (with pics) - 1/7/23

Jamman54

9 minutes ago, luvs2beachit said:

Loved your review and Patti's pictures, in particular your comments about the Spirit.  I will be on the Spirit for 23 days next month and you have heightened my anticipation 2 fold.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.  I can't wait for your next review!

Thanks for reading! Glad you enjoyed the review and found it helpful. Enjoy your time on the Spirit! 😎

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vanislandcruisers said:

Thanks for another GREAT Review!!!

Thanks for reading! Glad you enjoyed it. :classic_cool:

4 hours ago, d12j28 said:

@Jamman54

Great review as always! Our last 2 cruises were on the Freedom and Spirit and it was great to see all the pics. Heading out on the Pride Saturday. 

Thanks so much! Enjoy your cruise on the Pride, one of our favorite ships! :classic_cool:

I'm with a few others here as well. My last cruise was a Journeys on Legend and I ate in the DR one night, Steakhouse one night, Seafood Shack two nights and the rest at the Lido/Deli. I did it based on your review out of CA when I saw most of the offerings were the same as the dinning room! Much easier & quicker!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, marsh-angler said:

Thanks Jeff and Patti for another Great review & pictures! We will be on the Spirit at the end of the month. Second time on this class of ship. 

Glad you enjoyed the review! Enjoy your cruise on the Spirit! 😎

• Like 1

This was a slam dunk, nothing but net, sir! You had me forgetting that it was time for me to get off my treadmill (and that I’m lazy, which is next to impossible). Bravo! Can’t wait for the next installment from Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Patti!! 🥰🥰🥰🥰

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, willdra said:

This was a slam dunk, nothing but net, sir! You had me forgetting that it was time for me to get off my treadmill (and that I’m lazy, which is next to impossible). Bravo! Can’t wait for the next installment from Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Patti!! 🥰🥰🥰🥰

Thank you so much my sistah from another mothah! We'll be back at it in April. I know you and W will be going soon. Looking forward to that one as well! 😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maxandmolly said:

Thoroughly enjoyed this review. Thanks for sharing your trip!

Glad you enjoyed the review. Thanks for reading! 😎

3 hours ago, sp2 said:

Bravo Jeff and Patti! What a wonderful read and gorgeous photos as always. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us!

Thanks for your kind words. Glad you enjoyed the read! 😎

3 hours ago, Rulers Mom said:

Thanks Jeff & Patti! ❤️ Hope our paths cross some day.  

Bridget

Glad you enjoyed it. We look forward to that day! 😎

• Like 1

Fantastic job on the review as aways!!!   We were getting on Spirit the day you got off (us at our AirBnB in Miami is probably somewhere in the background of your pictures)!  We had a new cruise director, Erin that started that day.  We had Erin on a Paradise cruise from 2018 and enjoyed her both times.  Your observations of Spirit are spot-on.  We really enjoyed our cruise and wouldn't hesitate to sail on Spirit again.  Looking forward to your next reviews!!

Paul

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fbe2228 said:

Fantastic job on the review as aways!!!   We were getting on Spirit the day you got off (us at our AirBnB in Miami is probably somewhere in the background of your pictures)!  We had a new cruise director, Erin that started that day.  We had Erin on a Paradise cruise from 2018 and enjoyed her both times.  Your observations of Spirit are spot-on.  We really enjoyed our cruise and wouldn't hesitate to sail on Spirit again.  Looking forward to your next reviews!!

Paul

Hey Paul! Thanks for reading and for your kind words. We wouldn't hesitate to sail on the Spirit again as well. 😎

On 2/26/2023 at 7:16 PM, Jamman54 said:

Epilogue  -  Our final thoughts, ramblings, & future plans.

The following thoughts and ramblings are not in any particular order, nor are they in any order of importance. They are just what pops into my mind at this particular moment.

First, right off the top, I want to say that we enjoyed both ships and both cruises immensely. The crewmembers on both of the ships were outstanding and hardworking. The CD’s (James and Todd) were not our favorites, but they were okay.

This is the first time we’ve cruised in January in forever, and I don’t know if we’ll do it again. Boarding a ship wearing a jacket and long pants may be okay when cruising from New York or Baltimore in the winter, but not from Florida. We froze our butts off!

Another thing we decided is that we will never spend less than 7 days on a ship again. If we sail on a ship that does the shorter cruises, we will have to do a B2B to bring the time on that ship up to at least 7 days or more. Only being on the Freedom for 5 days just didn’t cut it, especially since we had a bowling alley balcony.

After so many cruises to many of the same ports, Patti and I have basically become cabana and all-inclusive type of people. It’s what we do, and we love to just relax. Of course, relaxing for Patti is walking around for miles taking pictures, but I make sure she gets to lounge and enjoy a few drinks. She just won’t let me take a picture of her doing that! Amber Cove and Grand Turk are some of our favorites when it comes to cabanas. We already have more booked there on future cruises. The all- inclusives we did in Bonaire and Aruba were outstanding and we would book them again, but we’re always willing to try new places just for variety if they are available.

You’ve probably noticed that Patti and I don’t eat in the MDR much anymore. I don’t know if it’s the same old menus or the fact that it takes so long. Prior to Covid, we ate in the MDR all the time. For many years we used to eat at the late seating, and as we got older, we switched to the early seating, and then we changed to YTD. Most of what is on the menu in the MDR is available on the Lido. The food comes from the same place, except in the MDR they plate it for you and make it look pretty. On the Lido you can take as much of an item as you want, and eat as quickly as you want, and move on to the next activity. We did eat in the MDR once on the Freedom and the experience was very good, so we may opt to try a few more meals in the MDR on future cruises. We’ll see.

On the Spirit we enjoyed our meal at the Steakhouse, and we ate twice for dinner at Bonsai Sushi. Speaking of the Spirit Class, it continues to be our favorite class of Carnival ships. We love the layout of these ships, and the fact that even when these ships sail at capacity, they never feel crowded. We have now done sixteen cruises on this class of ships, five each on the Legend, Pride, and Miracle, and now have finally sailed on the namesake vessel, the Spirit. We thought that would complete the class, but with the addition of the Luminosa we have another one to conquer. Don’t know when that will happen though.

It’s time to talk a little bit about the entertainment. As you may or may not know, Patti is hearing impaired, so musical acts and production shows are really just noise to her. If the entertainment is more visual, say like a magician and such, she enjoys that. There are two production shows that she really enjoys, and they are Celestial Strings, and Soulbound. Unfortunately, they are not performed on either the Freedom or the Spirit. The Playlist Production shows on both the Freedom and the Spirit were 88 Keys, 80’s Pop to the Max, and Getaway Island. The only one that I saw was Getaway Island.

After dinner, Patti is happy to have a drink, walk the ship, browse the shops, and then go back to the cabin to read. Myself, I like to sit at the Lobby Bar, Alchemy Bar, or Red Frog Pub, have a drink, and listen to the entertainers. I enjoyed them all. If there’s a good game on, I’ll head to the Sports Bar. I also like to head to Punchliners and watch the comedians. Over the two cruises I got to see six different comedians, and all were very good, even at the PG shows.

My mind has gone blank, so if you have any questions at all we’ll be more than happy to answer them for you. If I think of anything else, I’ll be sure to post it.

So, what’s in store for the future? In April we will be boarding the Celebration. We were booked to do a B2B, but because of commitments that were not present when we booked two years ago, we had to cancel one of the cruises. The cruise we did keep was the Western itinerary which worked out great for us since we did do the Eastern on the Freedom. Looking forward to it, and of course we will bring you all the action!

On September 29th we will be boarding the Carnival Venezia from our homeport of New York City for a 15-day Journeys Cruise to Grand Turk, Aruba, Curacao, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, & St. Thomas. This cruise includes two sea days down to Grand Turk, and three sea days from St. Thomas back to New York. Perfect for us!

2024 is shaping up like this. We are booked on a B2B on the Vista from Port Canaveral in April to the Eastern and Southern Caribbean. We have the same Havana inside cabin booked on both legs.

Then on September 8th we will be boarding the Carnival Pride in Baltimore for a 14-day Journeys Cruise to Greenland and Canada. That will be something different!

Hopefully we’ll get to see some of our Cruise Critic family on board the above cruises. It’s always fun to meet new friends and see our old ones!

Before I end this, I have to thank my wife, Patti. I couldn’t do these adventures, or these reviews, without her. She is my best friend, my rock, and a heck of a photographer!

Speaking of photography, the photos you see on these reviews are only a small portion of all the photos Patti takes during our cruises. If you would like to see the whole package, there is a link in my signature for our Cruise and Vacation albums. Feel free to check them out if you are so inclined.

So, until next time, may you have blue skies and calm seas!!!

Thanks Jeff ( and Patti) for another amazing review!!  I just got off the Spirit yesterday.  Had a wonderful cruise on a wonderful ship!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matt082600 said:

Thanks Jeff ( and Patti) for another amazing review!!  I just got off the Spirit yesterday.  Had a wonderful cruise on a wonderful ship!

Thanks for reading! Glad you enjoyed the review and the Spirit! 😎

I do not come often lately...imagine my thrill at another one of your reviews...and on the last ship i was on...the Spirit 2012...my big time to go more often not far off.  Love your reviews and amazing photos...love how they have many of the updated things on Spirit but have not taken away her theme from those times...they are wonderfully sized ships and now large is more a medium size...Patti I just love her details and theme too..and God bless you guys,,thanks again!!

Edited by sjn911
Name spelled wrong.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, sjn911 said:

I do not come often lately...imagine my thrill at another one of your reviews...and on the last ship i was on...the Spirit 2012...my big time to go more often not far off.  Love your reviews and amazing photos...love how they have many of the updated things on Spirit but have not taken away her theme from those times...they are wonderfully sized ships and now large is more a medium size...Patti I just love her details and theme too..and God bless you guys,,thanks again!!

So glad you dropped by. We were wondering where you have been. Thanks for reading and your kind words. The Spirit is a great ship. 😎

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your ship review.  We board the Spirit in two weeks after being rescheduled and re-booked many times since COVID.  Spirit looks like a great ship and we are very excited about finally going to such great ports.  I really appreciate all of Patti's pics!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, prekcruiser said:

Thank you so much for your ship review.  We board the Spirit in two weeks after being rescheduled and re-booked many times since COVID.  Spirit looks like a great ship and we are very excited about finally going to such great ports.  I really appreciate all of Patti's pics!

Thanks so much for reading! We hope our review was able to help with your planning and expectations. 😎

I'm late to the party!  Read first part of your review weeks ago.  Spent my Friday night reading last 20 pages!!  Sure do miss cruising on spirit class and especially Spirit and Pride.  Like Patti and some others I am deaf, tho it was later in life so I'm lucky.  Right ear in 5th grade, left ear about 2 years after I graduated college.  From spinal meningitis (had it 32x) I am an exceptional lip reader and in 2005 had a cochlear implant on left side.  Because of extensive damage from meningitis I don't have "as good" results and Jamman, as you said, many sounds are "blary"  but I LOVE my CI!  As of my last cruise in 9/22 I am a solo cruiser and miss out on a ton without my Jim to "interpert" for me lol.  But it's still a magical world that cruising has offered.  THANK YOU, Jamman and Patti for another great review! 🍻 Enjoy your April countdown and our New Jersey spring time! (and the Yankee opener on Thursday!

• Like 1