Tipping

Nowcruise5

1 hour ago, LindaD22 said:

I am on a NZ cruise now and following the advice about no tipping. However, not everyone got that memo! Fellow passengers have been tipping tour guides and bus drivers, mostly non-AUS/NZ passengers. But it just feels awkward to NOT tip when nearly everyone else does. My husband is questioning my no-tipping stance because of the tipping done by all the others. So, as much as AUS/NZ would like to be a non-tipping culture, I think it has firmly established itself in at least the cruising sector. I know some will be riled by this but I’m not saying that I think there should be tipping, just that there really already is. 

But only because your fellow travellers have either 1. not researched whether tipping is required or 2. are not following advice. 

As a citizen of a non-tipping nation, I certainly do my research prior to travelling overseas to what is required tipping wise. If I travelled to the US, I would tip as required. It is only polite to learn the culture of the countries you are visiting. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

But only because your fellow travellers have either 1. not researched whether tipping is required or 2. are not following advice. 

As a citizen of a non-tipping nation, I certainly do my research prior to travelling overseas to what is required tipping wise. If I travelled to the US, I would tip as required. It is only polite to learn the culture of the countries you are visiting. 

I agree completely, that is why I am aware of and follow the no-tipping culture here. But, it still does feel awkward when everyone else on a tour tips. And, of course, the tour guides gladly accept tips, rather than educating about the no-tip culture. 

• Like 1

Just now, LindaD22 said:

I agree completely, that is why I am aware of and follow the no-tipping culture here. But, it still does feel awkward when everyone else on a tour tips. And, of course, the tour guides gladly accept tips, rather than educating about the no-tip culture. 

I think it depends on the tour guide and who employs them. Our last cruise to NZ, we saw a tour guide refuse a tip from fellow passenger, then explaining that it is not required as he is paid a good wage. But of course I can understand some guides will accept tips. 

Have you mentioned to your fellow travellers it is not necessary to tip down under?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

I think it depends on the tour guide and who employs them. Our last cruise to NZ, we saw a tour guide refuse a tip from fellow passenger, then explaining that it is not required as he is paid a good wage. But of course I can understand some guides will accept tips. 

Have you mentioned to your fellow travellers it is not necessary to tip down under?

Since I never know who will tip until they exit the tour bus, I haven’t said anything. And, to be honest, my husband wouldn’t feel comfortable with me doing this, either. Probably it wouldn’t change their minds because they hadn’t heard it from anyone else besides this random stranger on the bus!

Just now, LindaD22 said:

Since I never know who will tip until they exit the tour bus, I haven’t said anything. And, to be honest, my husband wouldn’t feel comfortable with me doing this, either. Probably it wouldn’t change their minds because they hadn’t heard it from anyone else besides this random stranger on the bus!

Fair enough. Enjoy the remainder of your cruise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LindaD22 said:

I am on a NZ cruise now and following the advice about no tipping. However, not everyone got that memo! Fellow passengers have been tipping tour guides and bus drivers, mostly non-AUS/NZ passengers. But it just feels awkward to NOT tip when nearly everyone else does. My husband is questioning my no-tipping stance because of the tipping done by all the others. So, as much as AUS/NZ would like to be a non-tipping culture, I think it has firmly established itself in at least the cruising sector. I know some will be riled by this but I’m not saying that I think there should be tipping, just that there really already is. 

As my grandmother so often said "if everyone jumped off a cliff would you follow them?"  

At the end of the day you informed yourself and are following the advice given. You can't do anything about those that didn't bother or are ignoring advice. So don't let what they do affect your trip. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

As my grandmother so often said "if everyone jumped off a cliff would you follow them?"  

My grandmother often said the same thing.

Also the only tips she gave turned out to be very good advice.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, possum52 said:

Well said...........

This topic comes up a good deal and I'm sure will continue to be brought up. I always chuckle at the Americans who claim they want to follow the culture of the country they visit, yet in a "no tipping" country they will then use every excuse they can think of to NOT follow the NO TIP culture. I'm an American and it absolutely FROSTS me why some Americans can't just get it through their heads that countries like Australia and New Zealand are NO TIPPING POLICY countries!!! Just read the comments from the Americans. Far too many Americans will continue to push the issue even after asking the question and receiving the answer. There are numerous posts on here where the American will ask about tipping and will be advised not to do so but the American will not accept this and openly say they will tip anyway because they "know it's the right thing to do" As an American I am embarrassed by these arrogant fellow countrymen. I'm not going to get into the whole wage thing, but tipping is an American custom that is NOT followed in most of the world. Far too many Americans CLAIM they want to be immersed in the culture of the country they visit, yet they force THEIR beliefs (such as tipping) on the citizens of the country they are visiting. To tip or not tip in a NO TIP culture is NOT a "cheap" vs "generous" gesture. It is a complete disregard for that culture and shows nothing but disrespect for the people. When you are in a NO TIP culture, DON'T TIP!!!!! Not that hard. 

• Like 12

The whole tipping culture in the US is out of hand.  I hate it, and the business model it was built upon.  I cannot imagine how American tipping would be received in those countries where you don't tip, AND is considered highly offensive to tip.   I find the no tipping culture in the countries I have had the pleasure of visiting over the last two years to be an absolute delight.  I already have two more trips planned for both Australia and NZ for 2024 and 2025.  I very much appreciate the advice, and good info from the Aussies and Kiwis in this thread.  

Edited by dreams_of_travel
grammar
  • Like 8

On 2/9/2024 at 9:49 AM, LindaD22 said:

So  your fellow travellers are also non Australians- so they haven't checked what to do, somebody tips, rest follow suit. Guide isn't altruistic so happily accepts bonus money 

If you were to go on a tour or bus trip in Australia which had non American travellers - like I have done many many times during travels around my own country - then you would see nobody tipping.

• Like 4

On 2/9/2024 at 12:19 PM, LindaD22 said:

In NZ at least; the cruise-sector is small bananas. About 2% of total tourist expenditure. 

I've got a mate who's a tour guide. He boasts to me of the free money tourists are giving him. He gets paid to do a job he loves.. and then as he puts it.. the silly buggers give him cash too! lol. Of course he's not going to turn it down is he. And it could be argued that it's foreign money entering the country that's going to circulate through the economy. However.. the main point is - Kiwis & Australians don't want that culture to become imbedded here. It's not how we roll.. it's not what we want. We're already seeing it in NZ in tourist hotspots like Queenstown - where hospitality outfits are starting to expect it.. and that's starting to rile people up. They can take a flying hike if they start that nonsense! 🙂 

Just tell your husband to spend more if he's trying to offload cash in NZ!! haha.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Still a tipping question but of a different sort....

I want to give my cabin steward a bit above what my pre-paid gratuities will provide. Should I give additional money in Australian Dollars, NZ Dollars or US Dollars?

Thanks!

On 2/9/2024 at 12:19 PM, LindaD22 said:

Please don't feel pressured to tip.  If in doubt, just ask the tour guide up front.  Is tipping expected here?  I was told it wasn't.  They will take money if you offer it.  Most people will.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, luvtravel88 said:

I want to give my cabin steward a bit above what my pre-paid gratuities will provide. Should I give additional money in Australian Dollars, NZ Dollars or US Dollars?

Thanks!

Any of the above is fine, but if the steward is only working in Australian/NZ waters, they may prefer Aus or NZ currency as it is easier to spend here. If they are banking it, it really doesn't matter.

But please remember, tipping extra is not expected.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, luvtravel88 said:

Thanks!

Take some time to talk to him/her about their work, their family and life off the ship. Many cruise ship workers are doing it to provide for their families back home. If that is the case, US dollars may be preferable for sending to their family

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 3:57 AM, JJK2008 said:

This topic comes up a good deal and I'm sure will continue to be brought up. I always chuckle at the Americans who claim they want to follow the culture of the country they visit, yet in a "no tipping" country they will then use every excuse they can think of to NOT follow the NO TIP culture. I'm an American and it absolutely FROSTS me why some Americans can't just get it through their heads that countries like Australia and New Zealand are NO TIPPING POLICY countries!!! Just read the comments from the Americans. Far too many Americans will continue to push the issue even after asking the question and receiving the answer. There are numerous posts on here where the American will ask about tipping and will be advised not to do so but the American will not accept this and openly say they will tip anyway because they "know it's the right thing to do" As an American I am embarrassed by these arrogant fellow countrymen. I'm not going to get into the whole wage thing, but tipping is an American custom that is NOT followed in most of the world. Far too many Americans CLAIM they want to be immersed in the culture of the country they visit, yet they force THEIR beliefs (such as tipping) on the citizens of the country they are visiting. To tip or not tip in a NO TIP culture is NOT a "cheap" vs "generous" gesture. It is a complete disregard for that culture and shows nothing but disrespect for the people. When you are in a NO TIP culture, DON'T TIP!!!!! Not that hard. 

I think that gesutres of appreciation are important but they don't have to be monetary. On our cruise to NZ we took a private tour for wine tasting. I wanted to try a Pinot Noir that wasn't on the tasting menu so bought a bottle. The guide asked if she could have a little taste because nobody had ever done that and she'd always been curious. We'd already had enough to drink so I gave her most of the bottle (she put it in the trunk to take home, not consume on the spot, lol). 

On the same trip we took a cab from our hotel to SYD. When we departed, the cabbie asked, "what about my tip?!?" I said, "I thought you didn't tip here." He said, "but you're Americans!" I just smiled and said, "when in Rome...." I'm afraid that expectations will be higher when we return in April but I will stand firm, lol.

On 2/10/2024 at 4:55 PM, yarramar said:

Take some time to talk to him/her about their work, their family and life off the ship. Many cruise ship workers are doing it to provide for their families back home. If that is the case, US dollars may be preferable for sending to their family

I think that they exchange it into their own currency when they send it home. I normally tip in the ship's billing currency (which is almost always USD but have had a couple that were Euro).

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

We're going on a cruisetour through Princess in November.  We would have tipped the tour director based on the info on the Princess website.  Now we won't based on the info in this thread so thanks for helping us respect the customs of the countries and saving us money to spend on a nice dinner or souvenirs since that will put money directly in the AU/NZ economies.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, PR-Texas said:

We're going on a cruisetour through Princess in November.  We would have tipped the tour director based on the info on the Princess website.  Now we won't based on the info in this thread so thanks for helping us respect the customs of the countries and saving us money to spend on a nice dinner or souvenirs since that will put money directly in the AU/NZ economies.  

If the tour guide does an exemplary job or goes above and beyond, the Aussie way is to gift him a 6 pack of beer (or a slab if exceptional)