Tipping

Nowcruise5

Is it possible to leave a tip on a credit card after taking a Taxi in Sydney? On a previous trip from the Sydney Airport to the port I did not have any Australian money for a tip. It was my understanding that there was no tipping in Australia. The cab driver was rude and would not get out of the taxi to even take our luggage out of the trunk. Don’t want this to again, so should I have some cash?

• Like 1

There is no tipping full stop. Zip nada zilch. 
Some taxi drivers are a law unto themselves sadly. 
If you are concerned a driver may surreptitiously add a tip to a credit card transaction then yes pay in cash exactly what is in the meter and hold your hand out till he gives you the change. 

Alternatively use Uber where you agree to a set price before accepting the booking. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nowcruise5 said:

Is it possible to leave a tip on a credit card after taking a Taxi in Sydney? On a previous trip from the Sydney Airport to the port I did not have any Australian money for a tip. It was my understanding that there was no tipping in Australia. The cab driver was rude and would not get out of the taxi to even take our luggage out of the trunk. Don’t want this to again, so should I have some cash?

Australians are not normally tippers but what many do is round the cost up eg the taxi fare is $27, I might round it up to $30 if paying by cash just so I didn't have extra coins to carry. If buying a coffee and the cost was $4.80. The change would go into the staff tip jar on the counter (not every cafe will have one -  my usual cafes don't). Most Australians pay by card these days, particularly since Covid struck. If you are paying by card, and you want to tip, ask the taxi driver to add the tip to the ammount you are paying.

• Like 1

From all of Australia (and New Zealand): You need to stand up to the Taxi Driver and tell him in no uncertain terms where to go. It's not acceptable. It's not how we roll down under. You don't need to tip Taxi drivers. Doing so won't make him any less of a rude and obnoxious person. Any normal taxi driver will take your gear out of the trunk without expecting extra for it. Don't tip them - it only encourages them to treat you (and us) even worse! 😁

• Like 7

Great recommendation about rounding up the amount. As I said above I have been to Australian before and twice to NZ. Never had anything but a great time. Wonderful people and two beautiful countries. Thanks for the replies!

• Like 2

On 1/27/2023 at 6:21 AM, Nowcruise5 said:

I'm afraid he has been poisoned by the American tipping culture (now expects tips from any American).

This is exactly the negative result of our out-of-control tipping culture that just continues to increase at an alarming rate and poison the rest of the world.

Do the Australia and New Zealand citizens a big favor and adhere to their no-tipping culture as they don't want the same thing to happen that has happened to us in America (that everyone expects a tip as a subsidy to their employer paying them a ridiculous low wage).

JMHO, John

• Like 11

6 hours ago, AZjohn said:

I'm afraid he has been poisoned by the American tipping culture (now expects tips from any American).

This is exactly the negative result of our out-of-control tipping culture that just continues to increase at an alarming rate and poison the rest of the world.

Do the Australia and New Zealand citizens a big favor and adhere to their no-tipping culture as they don't want the same thing to happen that has happened to us in America (that everyone expects a tip as a subsidy to their employer paying them a ridiculous low wage).

JMHO, John

Spot on!! 

• Like 4

We just got back from New Zealand and Australia. The cab drivers we had in Australia all treated paying by card as the normal way to go. The card machine doesn't give the option of adding a tip and none of the drivers gave any indication of expecting one. All the drivers were pleasant and helpful including loading and unloading baggage from the trunk.

Our first driver in Auckland added a surcharge of a couple of bucks for using a card. Other than that, our experience in New Zealand was pretty much the same.

The lack of tipping also applied at restaurants and pubs.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

We just got back from New Zealand and Australia. The cab drivers we had in Australia all treated paying by card as the normal way to go. The card machine doesn't give the option of adding a tip and none of the drivers gave any indication of expecting one. All the drivers were pleasant and helpful including loading and unloading baggage from the trunk.

Our first driver in Auckland added a surcharge of a couple of bucks for using a card. Other than that, our experience in New Zealand was pretty much the same.

The lack of tipping also applied at restaurants and pubs.

Exactly. Tipping that driver that the OP had, wouldn't have made him any less obnoxious. Don't do it! 😂

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Just so I am clear (since I hope to be in Australia and New Zealand next year) by 'no tipping' are we referring specifically to the American(?) practice of paying service workers 'sub-minimum' wages and expecting tips to make up the difference?  Is it 'okay' to give a tip for exceptional service?

5 hours ago, Karaboudjan said:

Just so I am clear (since I hope to be in Australia and New Zealand next year) by 'no tipping' are we referring specifically to the American(?) practice of paying service workers 'sub-minimum' wages and expecting tips to make up the difference?  Is it 'okay' to give a tip for exceptional service?

You can give a tip if you wish for exceptional service. That's your call. But even for exceptional service.. it's not expected or the norm. You should be getting top service regardless. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Karaboudjan said:

In a word yes. Most Australians and New Zealanders do not tip. But in saying that, we have on occasion left a tip for exceptional service, usually by rounding up - eg, a meal cost $92, we may pay $100. It does have to be for exceptional service though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And staff here are paid a pretty good wage. Minimum adult wage is Australia is around $20 per hour, no $2 per hour and hope tips make up the difference, but you might get a bit of sticker shock at menu prices. I often round up for great service, but part of me wonders if that is so I don’t end up with as many coins to cart around.

Unfortunately some will hear the accent and expect a tip, they have been conditioned by your countrymen who just have to tip, especially in tourist areas.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

And staff here are paid a pretty good wage. Minimum adult wage is Australia is around $20 per hour, no $2 per hour and hope tips make up the difference, but you might get a bit of sticker shock at menu prices. I often round up for great service, but part of me wonders if that is so I don’t end up with as many coins to cart around.

Unfortunately some will hear the accent and expect a tip, they have been conditioned by your countrymen who just have to tip, especially in tourist areas.

Min wage in NZ is now around $24 an hour

Will be staying in Sydney Marriott one night pre-cruise.  How much should I tip the person taking my luggage from taxi to my room?  How much to leave in room for cleaning staff for one night stay? How much to tip taxi driver from airport to hotel?

Thank you for any inputs!

4 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Will be staying in Sydney Marriott one night pre-cruise.  How much should I tip the person taking my luggage from taxi to my room?  How much to leave in room for cleaning staff for one night stay? How much to tip taxi driver from airport to hotel?

Nothing

Nothing

and Nothing

• Like 7

On 3/23/2023 at 4:27 AM, chubbypiggy said:

Repeat

nothing

nothing

and nothing

Please memorise this. 

Full stop. If one of them performs CPR on you, thank them and buy them a drink. 

If you feel a random desire to give money away for no reason there are plenty of homeless people on the streets who will appreciate it. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

On 3/25/2023 at 7:17 AM, PerfectlyPerth said:

Repeat

nothing

nothing

and nothing

Please memorise this. 

Full stop. If one of them performs CPR on you, thank them and buy them a drink. 

If you feel a random desire to give money away for no reason there are plenty of homeless people on the streets who will appreciate it. 

Best post yet!!! 😁

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

Why thank you kindly. It's been my constant response on travel forums since the 90s on this pesky topic 😄

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have helped, here or on TA

On 3/23/2023 at 4:27 AM, chubbypiggy said:

I will add I haven’t stayed at the Marriott, but having someone carry your bags isn’t exactly the norm here never left anything for the cleaners and taxi driver I do normally round up (more for my benefit that theirs, hate a pocket full of coins)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just to make sure, I do not mi-apply the no-tipping policy in Australia and New-Zealand, does the no-tipping apply also to:

serving staff in a sit-down restaurant?
tour guides, on excursions?

bus drivers on tour excursions?

Thank-you so much for confirming! Tipping has always been one of my main concerns when travelling. Never know when or how much to tip to meet correct expectations. 

Edited by cachouonacruise
Typo