Booking through Celebrity

tomcruiser1234

Hi,

First of all i have used a travel agent for 15 years but unfortunately my buddy passed last year. 

Booking online has been made quite easy. However I decided to pick just one person at celebrity for the time being but in so doing it can still complicate your booking Not knowing how their system works and frankly nobody wants to talk. They play pretty good Poker. So… 

Questions regarding agents at Celebrity?? If i am allowed to ask or maybe nobody knows…Classified Documents…

Does each agent make more money depending on cost of cabin?

Once booked and you decide to upgrade, does the agent benefit?  Since it’s obviously more work. 

Thanks

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

Hi,

First of all i have used a travel agent for 15 years but unfortunately my buddy passed last year. 

Booking online has been made quite easy. However I decided to pick just one person at celebrity for the time being but in so doing it can still complicate your booking Not knowing how their system works and frankly nobody wants to talk. They play pretty good Poker. So… 

Questions regarding agents at Celebrity?? If i am allowed to ask or maybe nobody knows…Classified Documents…

Does each agent make more money depending on cost of cabin?

Once booked and you decide to upgrade, does the agent benefit?  Since it’s obviously more work. 

Thanks

If I'm understanding correctly, you're asking about using a Celebrity Certified Vacation Planner, who are employees of Celebrity; rather than an outside travel agent.  That's how I book my cruises, and I find it gives me the best combination of having a point of contact, yet retaining my own ability to instantly make changes to my reservation.

Of course their compensation is not any of my business, so I don't have any super detailed insight, but in the course of conversations over the years, I've learned that they receive a regular salary, without a commission component.  However, as you would expect, their performance is rated on metrics like customer satisfaction, and both sales volume and gross sales.  So, the more cruises they book, and the dollar value of those bookings both help.  That being said, I've never felt like the attention was less because a cruise was inexpensive, or it was booked in a lower category room.  I've dealt with the same Certified Vacation Planner for many years, and have always been treated well.  Certainly well enough to continue that method for many bookings. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, omeinv said:

If I'm understanding correctly, you're asking about using a Celebrity Certified Vacation Planner, who are employees of Celebrity; rather than an outside travel agent.  That's how I book my cruises, and I find it gives me the best combination of having a point of contact, yet retaining my own ability to instantly make changes to my reservation.

Of course their compensation is not any of my business, so I don't have any super detailed insight, but in the course of conversations over the years, I've learned that they receive a regular salary, without a commission component.  However, as you would expect, their performance is rated on metrics like customer satisfaction, and both sales volume and gross sales.  So, the more cruises they book, and the dollar value of those bookings both help.  That being said, I've never felt like the attention was less because a cruise was inexpensive, or it was booked in a lower category room.  I've dealt with the same Certified Vacation Planner for many years, and have always been treated well.  Certainly well enough to continue that method for many bookings. 

Harris

Denver, CO

I agree with CVP's being a helpful point of contact.  I've had 3 over 10 years;  2 were very good but promoted and the last disappearing for personal? reasons at different times during the last year of 3 years.  Phone and emails not being returned for weeks has impacted deposits, changes to cruises and pricing.  I've since booked with the general reps who have provided efficient, if not knowledgeable, service which has resulted in errors.  I'd like to try another CVP for a one source representative but not sure if I'm still associated with the prior one;  not sure how to even find one as it seems we're being pointed toward the general number. 

If you book directly with any cruise line, you are leaving real money on the table. Even the big box stores will get you 8% value in a gift card and then add on member savings if you have executive membership (worth it just for your cruise).  

I get the argument for using a TA for the kickback.  Here's why I don't:  Many times over many bookings I've found either price drops or upgrade opportunities that I was able to take advantage of by calling immediately.  This has saved me far more than any rebate/kickback from a TA.  I know most would argue that their TA could get that change made, but often changes are the result of just one or two cabins being available, and disappear in hours (sometimes less).  Back in the days when I used a TA I had one that was as good as they come, but having learned the ins and outs of booking, I can manage my bookings better myself.  Besides the financial issue, there's the ability to be able to call Celebrity directly for things like room changes, dining changes, etc.  Of course the other side of the coin is that I watch my reservations like a hawk, and that is a time and effort not everyone wants to make.  For those folks, a TA has real value, and the rebate from a TA is icing on the cake.

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Harris. 

Yes seeing that now.  I make changes constantly and the agent struggled to keep up. The CVP can move much quicker. Now you can always transfer to your TA but not after 30 days.   

I just booked with a CVP and gonna see how this works for the first time. 

What’s not Fair for the TA is that they have to wait 30 minutes to an hour for someone to pick to talk. 

Through the TA it seems much quicker. 

Thanks all for responses 

1 hour ago, omeinv said:

I get the argument for using a TA for the kickback.  Here's why I don't:  Many times over many bookings I've found either price drops or upgrade opportunities that I was able to take advantage of by calling immediately. 

The big box store will get Celebrity to honor the price adjustments.  The one I booked already had a $400 increase for our cabin, so not a big deal, but if it drops, I really don't expect them not to get me the price drop.  I will have to ask and track it, but I always did that with TAs.  I trust the box store to stay in business a lot more than I trust any online TA.  I feel as if I get the same peace of mind that I would get by booking with cruise line.  My gift card (store credit) is $735 on an $8,625 or 8.5%.  

1 hour ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

Harris. 

Yes seeing that now.  I make changes constantly and the agent struggled to keep up. The CVP can move much quicker. Now you can always transfer to your TA but not after 30 days.   

I just booked with a CVP and gonna see how this works for the first time. 

What’s not Fair for the TA is that they have to wait 30 minutes to an hour for someone to pick to talk. 

Through the TA it seems much quicker. 

Thanks all for responses 

@tomcruiser1234

I haven't had the problems others have reported in getting through to Celebrity, so I've been lucky there.  For "routine" matters, another advantage of a Celebrity CVP, is you'll have a direct number to leave a voice mail, and an e-mail address for the person. 

If anything hasn't made sense, feel free to email me (the address is in the link in my signature below).

Harris

Denver, CO

4 hours ago, omeinv said:

I get the argument for using a TA for the kickback.  Here's why I don't:  Many times over many bookings I've found either price drops or upgrade opportunities that I was able to take advantage of by calling immediately.  This has saved me far more than any rebate/kickback from a TA.  I know most would argue that their TA could get that change made, but often changes are the result of just one or two cabins being available, and disappear in hours (sometimes less).  Back in the days when I used a TA I had one that was as good as they come, but having learned the ins and outs of booking, I can manage my bookings better myself.  Besides the financial issue, there's the ability to be able to call Celebrity directly for things like room changes, dining changes, etc.  Of course the other side of the coin is that I watch my reservations like a hawk, and that is a time and effort not everyone wants to make.  For those folks, a TA has real value, and the rebate from a TA is icing on the cake.

Harris

Denver, CO

I understand where you are coming from but many of the time sensitive issues are handled by making a booking online to grab that cabin or price and put it on hold.   If my TA is not available for a couple days I call Captains Club and ask them to extend the hold.  Then I give the held reservation to my TA and let him straighten it out.

Edited by wrk2cruise

1 hour ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

Hockey

whats a box store?  

Thanks

In general, a large retail discount store, like Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc.  So called because the stores look like a "Big Box".  A least one of the member club type of these stores has a travel dept. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv

Just now, hubofhockey said:

Wholesale Clubs.  There are two in particular.  One sells Kirkland products.  

I should have said wholesale clubs to better identify them. I don’t believe Cruise Critic allows for the mentioning of sellers of cruises.   The smaller one has $25 specials on memberships. I believe the larger one is in the 60s for regular membership and 120s for executive membership.  With executive membership at the biggest wholesale club and using its Citi Visa Card, you get 5% savings on the purchase and around 8% on the store credit (gift card).  It’s 13% you won’t get from Celebrity.  If people like the convenience of booking direct with the cruise lines, I get it, but that’s a very expensive convenience.

I normally booked with an online TA that can only be contacted by email and a few times with a website where TA'S can compete for your business. However last year I looked at a cruise on the Celebrity website and thought the price was to high for 9 nights on the Equinox. I called and spoke to a Celebrity CVP and I must have been very lucky because she came up with a price that was $800-$1000 less than had I booked it on the website and it was for all inclusive. Then a bigger saving when making a transfer to a TA. Just a little research can lead to big savings.

6 hours ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

One more question.  After you book with a CVP by celebrity and then you were to transfer to a travel agent for extra onboard credit, does this take away credits the CVP gets from helping you with the initial booking.   

I have never lost any perks due to transferring a booking.