Booked Victoria BC to Dallas via SeaTac

cruiselvr04

EDIT: I swore that Victoria had pre-clearance, but I guess they don't upon further review. With that in mind, you will need to clear immigration and customs in Seattle, and likely re-clear security. I wouldn't re-book my flight because of this, but it will be quite tight most likely. 

ORIGINAL POST: The US has immigration/customs pre-clearance at Victoria between 7am and 3pm, so if you're departing during this time, you will clear in Victoria and land in Seattle like a domestic flight, with nothing needed beyond just going to the next gate. So, departure time is important. 

Also note that immigration and customs are different things. Immigration is checking you have the correct paperwork to enter the country; customs is checking what you are physically bringing in to the country. Preclearance covers both. 

Edited by Zach1213

11 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

After booking I’ve had a panic remembering this crosses the Canada border.  We have 75 minutes between flights in Seattle.  Do we have to go through customs in Seattle?  Do I need to rebook my flight?  

Victoria has pre-clearance but for ferries.   They do not have pre-clearance at the airport.

Seattle is typical of US airports.  If your flight arrives at the same time of some widebody flights it can be a zoo going through US border control.  If it arrives at the right time the place is empty and your on the other side with no issue. 

You go through customs in Seattle.  Yes, 75 minutes is tight but it can be done if everything goes to plan.

On 1/27/2023 at 8:27 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Zach:  The Victoria pre-clearance is for the ferry.

Yeah I see that. I swore I had gone through pre-check at Victoria Airport (admittedly, only been there once), and when I looked it up I got confused. Looks like my memory is going down the drain!