Split - Croatia

EM35

Good morning, 

Has anyone ever been to Split, Croatia on Azura and know roughly what time arrival and departure from the port is roughly as obviously P&O don't publigh their port times anywhere?

Thanks in advance

15 minutes ago, EM35 said:

Good morning, 

Has anyone ever been to Split, Croatia on Azura and know roughly what time arrival and departure from the port is roughly as obviously P&O don't publigh their port times anywhere?

Thanks in advance

Not an answer to your query but depending on what you plan to do there it's a really good port to walk off and explore yourself.  If you've not been before there's Diocletian's Palace on the  waterfront to explore,  plenty of cafes along the promenade, a 'beach' round the promontory (a concrete beach/ramp gently sloping into the sea - popular with locals and easy to go for a swim should you wish).  So if you were to do your own thing there you can tailor your time to suit. 

That's not to say I find P&Os policy in respect of port times acceptable - I think it's cynical as they have to book a berth so know when they're supposed to be there (unforeseen events and weather to one side) so why not let passengers know?  I still think it's to promote sales of excursions deterring folk from planning DiY for fear of not having sufficient time.  But if you're happy to stay in Split then it's easy to DiY without having advance notice of port times. 

Anyway, hope you can get some info as I know I feel happier knowing specifics too but enjoy Split whatever you decide to do.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EM35 said:

Good morning, 

Thanks in advance

We we were there on Azura last October and agree with the previous post about it being a good port to DIY, though It was very busy, so we ended up in a bar to the far side of the main town, which was a lot more authentically Croatian (we love the country and have been on land hols).  We were told by another passenger, that if you go right from the cruise terminal, instead of leff to the town, there is a very pleasant beach area.

Regards port times if you still want them, I cannot remember exactly, but it was a standard day and much the same as the other ports visited on the 23 nights we were on the ship (approx 8am to about 6pm, so on board about 5.30pm, though I think we left an hour earlier in a some of ports).  Of course, like all ports, there is a possibility you will not get into there.

Edited by tring

Thank you for your information both of you. There is a specific excursion we want to do but with the possibility of all aboard being 4:30 it is probably not going to be possible. 

Thanks again. 

• Like 2

Last July we were there and we originally booked KRKA national park tour from Split but the transfer time was 90 mins so when they changed the itinary of ports from Rovinj to Sibenik we changed the tour to this port as it was only a 30 min transfer. We were in Split from 8.30 to 5.30pm and found the centre easy to walk around but narrow streets and busy . Dubrovnik was lovely and the courtesy bus drops you right next to the main area and next to the cable car so that tour may be cheaper doing it yourself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Technoman2 said:

Last July we were there and we originally booked KRKA national park tour from Split but the transfer time was 90 mins so when they changed the itinary of ports from Rovinj to Sibenik we changed the tour to this port as it was only a 30 min transfer. We were in Split from 8.30 to 5.30pm and found the centre easy to walk around but narrow streets and busy . Dubrovnik was lovely and the courtesy bus drops you right next to the main area and next to the cable car so that tour may be cheaper doing it yourself. 

Agree about the DiY in Dubrovnik.  I'd recommend getting off as early as you can and going straight up to the cable car as it can get busy with queues and it's quieter before the organised tours arrive - so perhaps best tackled first.

On 1/29/2023 at 12:24 PM, EM35 said:

Good morning, 

Thanks in advance

Split is usually a tender port for all but the smallest of cruise ships....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/06/17/one-way-to-do-split/

18 hours ago, Technoman2 said:

Good morning @Technoman2 .

Out of curiosity, what ship were you on for the Sibinek stop and did you go alongside please? 

I was there last year but was on a much smaller ship....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2022/07/21/lady-eleganza-croatia-and-adriatic-maiden-season/

1264977460_FeaturedImage2.thumb.jpg.e5fef32cba532b2d1a2779c5086787f0.jpg

We too went to the KRKA National park as an included excursion....

1834926475_KrkaNP12Barbara.jpg.6a7b7f2f421c95fec516712913ceec65.jpg

36 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Split is usually a tender port for all but the smallest of cruise ships....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/06/17/one-way-to-do-split/

We were docked on Azura last October and I have checked a Croatian itinerary for 2023 which shows no indication of it even being a possible tender port.  No mention of tenders on the "What's in Port" site either.

Perhaps there have been changes since you visited, but the cruise port did seem well established and was to the south of the town and main waterfront.

EDIT

I have just gone into your Blog on Split and whilst your initial comment is that it is normally a tender port,  your second paragraph is this:-

Update: My thanks to one of my follower subscribers, David,  for his comment and link regarding the opening of an improved  port infrastructure project that is now allowing larger ships to berth alongside. Though the new terminal is far from complete Celebrity have already made use of the new berth…

I suggest the current terminal now updates what you experienced and is probably now complete.

Barbara

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tring said:

We were docked on Azura last October and I have checked a Croatian itinerary for 2023 which shows no indication of it even being a possible tender port.  No mention of tenders on the "What's in Port" site either.

Perhaps there have been changes since you visited, but the cruise port did seem well established.

It always used to be a tender dropping you off at the harbour in town.  Last time we went we were docked in a port area to the right of the town as you look at Split from the sea.  Not far to walk into the centre - about 10 minutes.

6 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

It always used to be a tender dropping you off at the harbour in town.  Last time we went we were docked in a port area to the right of the town as you look at Split from the sea.  Not far to walk into the centre - about 10 minutes.

Yes that is what we experienced last October on Azura, though the small shopping area with toilets, may have previously serviced ferries as it did not appear to be new.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

Perhaps there have been changes since you visited, but the cruise port did seem well established and was to the south of the town and main waterfront.

EDIT

I have just gone into your Blog on Split and whilst your initial comment is that it is normally a tender port,  your second paragraph is this:-

Update: My thanks to one of my follower subscribers, David,  for his comment and link regarding the opening of an improved  port infrastructure project that is now allowing larger ships to berth alongside. Though the new terminal is far from complete Celebrity have already made use of the new berth…

I suggest the current terminal now updates what you experienced and is probably now complete.

Barbara

Thank you for the update. When there last year there was only a very small ship berthed there, hence I was unaware of the larger ships using it regularly....

2056001088_SilverSpiritatSplit.thumb.jpg.524da0ed6d6b11a4f39572e268d8459f.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Good morning @Technoman2 .

Out of curiosity, what ship were you on for the Sibinek stop and did you go alongside please? 

I was there last year but was on a much smaller ship....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2022/07/21/lady-eleganza-croatia-and-adriatic-maiden-season/

1264977460_FeaturedImage2.thumb.jpg.e5fef32cba532b2d1a2779c5086787f0.jpg

We too went to the KRKA National park as an included excursion....

1834926475_KrkaNP12Barbara.jpg.6a7b7f2f421c95fec516712913ceec65.jpg

Richard , from memory it wa s Tender transfer at Sibenik nice and calm in the morning but 3pm in the afternoon it was choppy. Didnt get to see Sibenik centre but loved KRKA.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Technoman2 said:

Richard , from memory it wa s Tender transfer at Sibenik nice and calm in the morning but 3pm in the afternoon it was choppy. Didnt get to see Sibenik centre but loved KRKA.

When we did it last August on Azura, it was a tender at Zablace and then a bus to Sibenik. Didn’t find it choppy but was subject to the exhaust fumes coming in to the tender on the return leg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On Ch4 Travel Man: 48 hours in...... , the destination this week is Split (Ch4 Series 12 episode 2).   Not my favourite presenter and quite a lot of 'fill-in' with various activities but if you persevere, it does give a flavour of what you can see in the old town for anyone interested in perhaps staying in Split for a DIY day. 

Edited by kruzseeka