Lost Luggage by the Airlines

Sunboater

Last September we had a Baltic Sea cruise out of Copenhagen. We had a Toronto connection for the flight to London.  From London to Copenhagen.  Get to Copenhagen and you guessed one of our bags is missing.  Went to the missing luggage counter with our bar code.  Scans it and yep the bag is till in Toronto.  The was with Royal and the bag eventually caught up with us on our first stop.  We had two more cruises after that before the end of the year.  We did carry on only on those flight we were none the worse for wear. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, fenton04 said:

Last September we had a Baltic Sea cruise out of Copenhagen. We had a Toronto connection for the flight to London.  From London to Copenhagen.  Get to Copenhagen and you guessed one of our bags is missing.  Went to the missing luggage counter with our bar code.  Scans it and yep the bag is till in Toronto.  The was with Royal and the bag eventually caught up with us on our first stop.  We had two more cruises after that before the end of the year.  We did carry on only on those flight we were none the worse for wear. 

Good thing you had the bar code.  Some of the passengers that had lost their luggage as part of forgotten loaded card in my case didn't keep it and didn't know they needed it,  safe to say they had more complications on reporting it lost. 😒  I did carry-on once for a cruise but it was tough because I am a inefficient packer😁.  Also I will  be doing a S2S on this cruise so 2-weeks of packing.   I guess a good idea is pack lighter and use laundry.   Thanks for sharing your story.

3 hours ago, Sunboater said:

Good thing you had the bar code.  Some of the passengers that had lost their luggage as part of forgotten loaded card in my case didn't keep it and didn't know they needed it,  safe to say they had more complications on reporting it lost. 😒  I did carry-on once for a cruise but it was tough because I am a inefficient packer😁.  Also I will  be doing a S2S on this cruise so 2-weeks of packing.   I guess a good idea is pack lighter and use laundry.   Thanks for sharing your story.

Those two other cruises were 11 day cruises (one on Celebrity, the other Royal).  It took a lot of research.  First of all each airline has dimension limits on carry on.  Went thrift store shopping to find those bags that would work (United and American). Then how do you pack for 11 days and have enough clothes, and shoes (shoes are heavy). You Tube videos were very helpful with that.  We did dry runs on packing and found that with the free laundry on Celebrity (status elite and diamond)  we could make it work.  I ditched the jacket (heavy and space eater) for a nice dress vest learned how to tie a bow tie.  We bought pants that converted to shorts that was a space saver.  My wife had a better time she could do double duty with the dress up and casual wear.  If you want to take three pairs of shoes forget about it.  We took two pairs one we wore that was functional and comfortable like a boat shoe.  Kind of casual and kind of dressy.  We took Teva's in our carry on light weight and saved space.  Wore a rain jacket with lots of pockets and placed socks and other items.  I have a CPAP and crammed that full of extra medications.  Half way through the trip the only thins that we had to get laundered was socks and underwear..  I am probably forgetting something but the important thing it worked.  OBTH southwest has a generous carry on bag size.  Just a heads up.

• Like 1

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, will depend on the airline. If their baggage service is garbage and the airport operations a complete dumpster fire with thousands of bags piling up like last year there is nothing a cruise line can do. Some people didn't see their bags for weeks and months after they got gobbled by into the bowels of London, Paris, Amsterdam and Frankfurt.

• Like 1

That is the worst thing I am always afraid of is that my luggage is either lost or snagged by the "Naughty Crew".

I have had to go to the naughty room twice since I have been cruising.

At least I always carry 2 changes of clothes and basic toiletries in my carry on.

• Like 1

I've been using my AirTabs for 2 years and are still running on original batteries.  I will probably replace them before our next cruise.

I do enjoy watching my bag move from the terminal to the side of the plane and to help know when they move from the plane to the luggage belt area.

They have so many other good uses.    If you are like me and "occasionally" misplace your car in a crowded parking lot -  the Apple FindMy can help direct you to where last seen (of course the car hasn't moved so pretty reliable) 

Also recently I was helping my son on a construction project and had my backpack with me (also has an AirTag).    I got 2 blocks from his house (about 50 miles from mine) and I got an alert that I left my backpack behind.   Yea.

One caution that I just ignore.    Very often every time you leave your room you will get an alert that you left your suite case behind. 

• Like 1