Bus & Ferry pass Bermuda

MarkE

We will be on the Summit in May and wanted to know if you can purchase the passes for the local bus and ferry's on board the ship? Is there a long line if we have to purchase them after we arrive?  Can you use a credit card or cash only?  I have read that the bus service is by coins only, what about the ferry service?  Thanks for the help with this.  

You cannot purchase tickets onboard.  There is a round-shaped building in the dockyard right by where the ferries are and there may be a line but it moves fast.  If you have any questions about how to use the passes for both ferry and bus there is generally a very helpful person outside the building offering maps, info, etc.  I believe you can use credit card and the pass can be used on the buses.  We bought a daily pass the first time but the 3 day pass was cost effective if you plan on using the ferry several times.  Once one becomes familiar with the bus system you can get almost anywhere.  It can be a long ride sometimes but interesting.  Going around the curves on some bus rides is quite adventurous.

We find the people everywhere to be most kind and helpful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MarkE said:

We will be on the Summit in May and wanted to know if you can purchase the passes for the local bus and ferry's on board the ship? Is there a long line if we have to purchase them after we arrive?  Can you use a credit card or cash only?  I have read that the bus service is by coins only, what about the ferry service?  Thanks for the help with this.  

As has been mentioned the transportation passes are not sold on the ship. They are sold at the Visitor Infomation Center.. They also have been selling them in the morning just off the ship in addition to the VIC. The buses will take tokens or exact change. The ferry will take a token or exact cash. (coins not required). Transportation passes. one, two or three days are good on both buses or ferries. If you decide on passes the 3 day is probably not worth it because you won't have time the last day to take multiple trips. So a two day would be more effective.

It is worth having an idea what  you will be doing to decide if you want passes.  Myself I don't get the passes because I don't take buses and ferrries exclusively. To go to Horseshoe Bay I take a $7 shuttle or a taxi. That avoids walking up a high hill from the beach. To Hamiton or St. George I take a ferry and from either I might take either a bus or taxi somewhere. or not  So I have cash for taxis and tokens for buses. Some like the convience of the passes even though it will cost more than getting individual tokens. I take a lot of taxis now because I don't like waiting for the  buses since they have become somewhat unrelaiable in recent years but also I am not on a budget these days. I only take ferries and taxis. In addition there are usually at least three of us and after adding it all up splitting a taxi becomes not all that much more. 

As Wineaux007 posted in post #3. It is worth doing the math. 

Edited by Charles4515

• 2 months later...
On 1/30/2023 at 6:29 PM, Charles4515 said:

As has been mentioned the transportation passes are not sold on the ship. They are sold at the Visitor Infomation Center.. They also have been selling them in the morning just off the ship in addition to the VIC. The buses will take tokens or exact change. The ferry will take a token or exact cash. (coins not required). Transportation passes. one, two or three days are good on both buses or ferries. If you decide on passes the 3 day is probably not worth it because you won't have time the last day to take multiple trips. So a two day would be more effective.

It is worth having an idea what  you will be doing to decide if you want passes.  Myself I don't get the passes because I don't take buses and ferrries exclusively. To go to Horseshoe Bay I take a $7 shuttle or a taxi. That avoids walking up a high hill from the beach. To Hamiton or St. George I take a ferry and from either I might take either a bus or taxi somewhere. or not  So I have cash for taxis and tokens for buses. Some like the convience of the passes even though it will cost more than getting individual tokens. I take a lot of taxis now because I don't like waiting for the  buses since they have become somewhat unrelaiable in recent years but also I am not on a budget these days. I only take ferries and taxis. In addition there are usually at least three of us and after adding it all up splitting a taxi becomes not all that much more. 

As Wineaux007 posted in post #3. It is worth doing the math. 

Hello, first you are always very helpful and it is greatly appreciated.

Now we have been using the bus and ferry with a day pass each trip for a few years, this trip we plan on two day passes. That will cost almost 160.00 but only see taxis for four passengers? There will be five of us this trip. Do you have any suggestions for going to the caves from St. George other than the bus?

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

Hello, first you are always very helpful and it is greatly appreciated.

Now we have been using the bus and ferry with a day pass each trip for a few years, this trip we plan on two day passes. That will cost almost 160.00 but only see taxis for four passengers? There will be five of us this trip. Do you have any suggestions for going to the caves from St. George other than the bus?

Most of the taxis take up to seven passengers. There are two different rates, one for 1-4 and another for 5-7 passengers but the vehicles usually can take up to seven. I can’t actually recall any that I have been taken the last few years not having three rows. They are not allowed to take more than seven. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Most of the taxis take up to seven passengers. There are two different rates, one for 1-4 and another for 5-7 passengers but the vehicles usually can take up to seven. I can’t actually recall any that I have been taken the last few years not having three rows. They are not allowed to take more than seven. 

That's great news, may just do a taxi for some things and get just the one day pass.