Has anyone taken the ferry from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen?

sun16

We are on the Norwegian Breakaway Feb 5th and are in Cozumel on Feb. 10th.   I noticed a tour called the Amazing Secret River with  cave/swimming  and then it went to playa for the rest of the day for shopping etc.   I've been to Playa before (5 or 6 years ago) and enjoyed the shops and restaurants on 5th Avenue.  However, the tour is full - so I am interested in the Playa Del Carmen ferry - it runs every 2 hours.  We are in port from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm so I don't think getting back in time would be a problem.  Would probably leave about 10 am and plan to return by about 4:00 p.m.

Has anyone taken the ferry before? And how was it for time and convenience.

Thanks

It cost roughly $20 per person and there are 2 ferries.   The biggest problem you will run into is if they close the port while you're in Playa due to wind or choppy seas. They closed it one day we were the this month at 11 am and it didn't reopen until the next day.  If that happens you're stuck in Playa.  And yes I've seen them shut the ferry down when they shut the port down. Port closings happen often Ferries being shut down for port closures not as often but you do not want to be on one when the ports are closed. 

Edited by nascarcruiser

3 hours ago, sun16 said:

We are on the Norwegian Breakaway Feb 5th and are in Cozumel on Feb. 10th.   I noticed a tour called the Amazing Secret River with  cave/swimming  and then it went to playa for the rest of the day for shopping etc.   I've been to Playa before (5 or 6 years ago) and enjoyed the shops and restaurants on 5th Avenue.  However, the tour is full - so I am interested in the Playa Del Carmen ferry - it runs every 2 hours.  We are in port from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm so I don't think getting back in time would be a problem.  Would probably leave about 10 am and plan to return by about 4:00 p.m.

Has anyone taken the ferry before? And how was it for time and convenience.

Thanks

Not something I would do as plenty of good restaurants and shopping in Cozumel but it has certainly been done. I would only go during a land visit.

However, you have the advantage of probably (not 100%) docking downtown and therefore would be able to walk to ferry eliminating the time needed for an extra taxi each end.

Buy one-way ferry tickets in case the other company is running the route for your return. Keep a watch on ship time - not sure where your cruise leaves from. 

Thanks for the replies.   I had thought of missing a specific ferry time but not of the port closing or ferries being cancelled.  Thanks for the comments, think we will leave Playa for another vacation!