20 Years and 48 Cruises.... Bound to happen sooner or later

wemjam

Guess it had to happen sooner or later.   Just got off Sunrise last week (Monday) and last night on the cruise got violently ill.  Spent entire night in bathroom.  No exaggeration, didn't leave bathroom for 9 hours (at one point I was literally curled up in the fetal position with a towel under my head laying on the floor).  Took Covid test that I brought we me so knew it wasn't that.

Made it home and went to doctor - Norovirus!  This is the new bench mark by which I will measure all other sickness when a doctor asks me "on a scale of 1 to 10" 🤪

Called Carnival and alerted them Tuesday so they could take precautions.

Funny thing is, on day 2 of cruise our main room steward went out sick (his assistant cleaned the rest of the time and when we asked after him, he said he was out for medical reasons).  My husband also saw people cleaning with bags that said "biohazard" on them not too far from our room... down the hall a ways.

Now mind you, we are still super hyper vigilant.  We cleaned and sanitized the entire room ourselves upon arrival.  Washed and sanitized our hands ALL the time.  To the point of sanitizing when we sat down at table, again after menu, again if we touched the salt/pepper or anything else on the table, etc. etc. etc.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mz-s said:

sounds like all that sanitizing silliness was a waste of effort huh

get well soon

I would rather have had Covid..... lol!

But I don't think it is silliness, I would rather not come home from vacation sick if I can avoid it and I do my part to facilitate that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, wemjam said:

I would rather have had Covid..... lol!

But I don't think it is silliness, I would rather not come home from vacation sick if I can avoid it and I do my part to facilitate that.

What is horrible is it sounds like Carnival knew about the noro outbreak with the biohazard bags etc and did nothing about it. I would probably alert the CDC or something. That's a big deal.

And yes I'd rather have today's milder COVID than noro no doubt...

I was lucky to have only caught it once during my 5 years working onboard and 54 cruises as a passenger. It is *awful* as you mention. Some people with a standard stomach bug think they have norovirus but it doesn't even come close! Luckily it only lasts a couple days. Enjoy the weight loss! 

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

Guess it had to happen sooner or later.   Just got off Sunrise last week (Monday) and last night on the cruise got violently ill.  Spent entire night in bathroom.  No exaggeration, didn't leave bathroom for 9 hours (at one point I was literally curled up in the fetal position with a towel under my head laying on the floor).  Took Covid test that I brought we me so knew it wasn't that.

Made it home and went to doctor - Norovirus!  This is the new bench mark by which I will measure all other sickness when a doctor asks me "on a scale of 1 to 10" 🤪

Called Carnival and alerted them Tuesday so they could take precautions.

Funny thing is, on day 2 of cruise our main room steward went out sick (his assistant cleaned the rest of the time and when we asked after him, he said he was out for medical reasons).  My husband also saw people cleaning with bags that said "biohazard" on them not too far from our room... down the hall a ways.

Now mind you, we are still super hyper vigilant.  We cleaned and sanitized the entire room ourselves upon arrival.  Washed and sanitized our hands ALL the time.  To the point of sanitizing when we sat down at table, again after menu, again if we touched the salt/pepper or anything else on the table, etc. etc. etc.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this.  I've had it once - not from a cruise, but on land, most likely from a restaurant.  It was incredibly intense and miserable.  I completely empathize.  Also, I'm totally with you on all the precautions and sanitizing.  Keep it up, although it didn't save you from this infection this time, I'm sure it has saved you from others over the years.😁

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

What is horrible is it sounds like Carnival knew about the noro outbreak with the biohazard bags etc and did nothing about it. I would probably alert the CDC or something. That's a big deal.

And yes I'd rather have today's milder COVID than noro no doubt...

Was this an "outbreak", or just one cabin?  Was the other cabin's occupants afflicted with noro, or some other disease?  Was it just that a senior was in the cabin?  Child or adult diapers are considered to be biohazard, and must be bagged in this manner for incineration.  Fouled sheets from a senior accident must be placed in the biohazard bags, which are then placed in the biohazard washing machine without being opened (the bag dissolves in the wash) (Bloodied sheets as well).  Way too little information to claim there was a "noro outbreak".

As for noro, or other gastrointestinal diseases, I can't think of one cruise I worked that didn't have at least one case.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Was this an "outbreak", or just one cabin?  Was the other cabin's occupants afflicted with noro, or some other disease?  Was it just that a senior was in the cabin?  Child or adult diapers are considered to be biohazard, and must be bagged in this manner for incineration.  Fouled sheets from a senior accident must be placed in the biohazard bags, which are then placed in the biohazard washing machine without being opened (the bag dissolves in the wash) (Bloodied sheets as well).  Way too little information to claim there was a "noro outbreak".

As for noro, or other gastrointestinal diseases, I can't think of one cruise I worked that didn't have at least one case.

you make a good point that there are a lot of things that must be treated as biohazards, not just noro cases.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1