Andalsnes recommendation?

wlbox

Need suggestions for our cruise stop in Andalsnes in late August. We enjoy walking and do it yourself exploring. Or tour to visit highlights of area. We’re active and able to do moderate hikes. 

THE best thing to do from Aldasnes is an excursion to the Troll Road and Troll Wall.  Both are really really famous in Norway and Europe and there will be much online info if you do a quick google.

Spectacular, as is the ride up and down, but best on a clear weather day.  We were really lucky and got that so could enjoy it to the max.

We’re active and able to do moderate hikes. .    This is NOT in any way a "moderate hike".  Take a tour.

This previous thread would also be a good starting point

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2901724-suggestions-for-andalsnes-norway-perhaps-romsdalen-gondola/#comment-64518744

Edited by edinburgher

On 2/2/2023 at 11:11 AM, edinburgher said:

THE best thing to do from Aldasnes is an excursion to the Troll Road and Troll Wall.  Both are really really famous in Norway and Europe and there will be much online info if you do a quick google.

Spectacular, as is the ride up and down, but best on a clear weather day.  We were really lucky and got that so could enjoy it to the max.

We’re active and able to do moderate hikes. .    This is NOT in any way a "moderate hike".  Take a tour.

This previous thread would also be a good starting point

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2901724-suggestions-for-andalsnes-norway-perhaps-romsdalen-gondola/#comment-64518744

Agree...We took the troll road excursion offered by the cruiseline and it was a really good excursion.  Did not have high expectations based on the excursion description on the cruiseline website, but turned out to be a beautiful experience.

Yes and yes unfortunately.

Too bad he will miss one of the highlights of Norway, but you could book i tfor youself  as a shorex or as a private tour with others on your Roll Call ,while he could book a shorex or private tour with others to  explore somewhere without the heights.

On 2/2/2023 at 11:11 AM, edinburgher said:

Any recommendations as to which side of the bus would be better to sit on in terms of the views?

Thanks!

Any recommendations as to which side of the bus would be better to sit on in terms of the views?

I don't remember one side or the other being better for views either going up or down  because the road is a series of steep hairpin bends, so one moment you are viewing from one side, the next from the other.

Suggesting you google" Troll Road images" to get some idea of what it is like, or even "Troll Road" for a description of the route.

It was a  breathtaking drive.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, edinburgher said:

On this shorex, and on the Mt  Dalsnibba one out of Geiranger, one of us had the window seat going up, the other the aisle seat, but we swapped each time for the return.

Hoping you get a clear weather day.😊

Like @LondonTowner, my spouse won’t do this sort of tour. I have booked both the Troll Road and the Mt. Dalsnibba tour on my own. Normally I wouldn’t do that, but she really doesn’t want me to miss either of these. 😊. (I will try for the window seat.  😊)

Thanks for the good weather wishes!

• Like 1

I  have booked both the Troll Road and the Mt. Dalsnibba tour

Once home, you could maybe think about  adding a brief post to this thread about your experiences on both drives, (including  whether there is a better side of the drives for viewing) as it could be helpful to others?.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Your other option would be a tour to the Atlantic Highway, claimed by some to be the 'most beautiful road in the world'. We are cruising in May this year and have booked this for our day in Andalsnes via P&O who we are sailing with. It's a long excursion (8 hours) and mostly by coach with very little walking, although it does include a fish lunch. I can't say how good it is until we've experienced it but from what I've seen of the Atlantic Highway I'm very much looking forward to experiencing it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, brynmelyndavid said:

Your other option would be a tour to the Atlantic Highway, claimed by some to be the 'most beautiful road in the world'. We are cruising in May this year and have booked this for our day in Andalsnes via P&O who we are sailing with. It's a long excursion (8 hours) and mostly by coach with very little walking, although it does include a fish lunch. I can't say how good it is until we've experienced it but from what I've seen of the Atlantic Highway I'm very much looking forward to experiencing it.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this Andalsnes tour when you get back.  Thanks!