Embarkation/disembarkation Reykjavik cruise terminal

DRJVH

We are first time sailing with Viking (Azamara is our favoured cruise line)

on Viking Star on 3 July 2023 Reykjavik to Reykjavik returning on 10 July

(7 days). Viking have given us no arrival and departure times for any port on is itinerary. 
We are trying to find out the arrival and departure times. Mainly the arrival time on 10 July to try and plan our flights out of Reykjavik to Uk 

Does anybody have any ideas of where we can find out this information?. Thanks in advance.  

8 minutes ago, DRJVH said:

(7 days). Viking have given us no arrival and departure times for any port on is itinerary. 
We are trying to find out the arrival and departure times. Mainly the arrival time on 10 July to try and plan our flights out of Reykjavik to Uk 

Does anybody have any ideas of where we can find out this information?. Thanks in advance.  

Port arrival/departure times have always been on about page 3 of the Viking invoice document that every Viking cruiser gets when they even just put down a deposit.  Go back and look at that document.  If u don’t find it ask for another copy.

We sail July10 on this itinerary, and the times are showing on our invoice. Request another one, and hope that’s it’s updated. (On MVJ, click the three bars in upper left corner, then click account, then request invoice.) 
This is from my notes, maybe your cruise is similar. 

Reykjavik, MONDAY, JULY 10 transfer from hotel

Reykjavik.  TUESDAY,  July11 Depart 6p

ĺsafjördur, WEDNESDAY, JULY 12.         8a-6p

Akureyri, THURSDAY, JULY 13.          8a-5p

Seydisfjördur,  FRIDAY, JULY 14.          8a-11p

Djúpivogur, SATURDAY, JULY 15.         8a-6p

Heimaey, Westman Islands, SUNDAY, JULY 16.       10a-6p

Reykjavík, MONDAY, JULY 17.  Arrive 5a

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CDR2001 said:

We sail July10 on this itinerary, and the times are showing on our invoice. Request another one, and hope that’s it’s updated. (On MVJ, click the three bars in upper left corner, then click account, then request invoice.) 
This is from my notes, maybe your cruise is similar. 

Reykjavik, MONDAY, JULY 10 transfer from hotel

Reykjavik.  TUESDAY,  July11 Depart 6p

ĺsafjördur, WEDNESDAY, JULY 12.         8a-6p

Akureyri, THURSDAY, JULY 13.          8a-5p

Seydisfjördur,  FRIDAY, JULY 14.          8a-11p

Djúpivogur, SATURDAY, JULY 15.         8a-6p

Heimaey, Westman Islands, SUNDAY, JULY 16.       10a-6p

Reykjavík, MONDAY, JULY 17.  Arrive 5a

Also look closely at that invoice as it may indicate how early you can book your return flight.  On our 2021 cruise we could not book a flight before 10 am.  Reason is that Viking (or anyone else)  could not get you to the airport in time.  It's one hour to the airport and you should be at the airport 3 hours before your flight.  We were there twice 2.5 hours before our flight.  The first time we barely made it to the gate.  The second time we would have missed the flight if it was not held.  One flight was in the AM and the other time it was the PM with no difference.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DRJVH said:

We did this itinerary with Viking in 2021 -- also on July 3rd -- and loved it. Just reading this thread makes me want to do it again -- just to see what we missed in each of the ports. Don't miss the Skalanes Nature Reserve!

Contact the folks at TellUs@vikingcruises.com. Explain what information you are trying to get and ask them to send you a copy of your Guest Statement (not everyone can access it via MVJ -- or at least I've never been able to). They can also confirm for you the earliest time you can book a departure from KEF.

Personally, I suggest that you plan to arrive a few days ahead to explore the city (or recover from jetlag) and stay a few more to see some of the beautiful places that Viking does not include.

I also suggest that you join the roll call for your sailing. It looks a little quiet now but it will pick up as departure day approaches. Viking Star - July 3, 2023 - Reykjavik to Reykjavik (Iceland's Natural Beauty)

• Like 3

22 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Also look closely at that invoice as it may indicate how early you can book your return flight.  On our 2021 cruise we could not book a flight before 10 am.  Reason is that Viking (or anyone else)  could not get you to the airport in time.  It's one hour to the airport and you should be at the airport 3 hours before your flight.  We were there twice 2.5 hours before our flight.  The first time we barely made it to the gate.  The second time we would have missed the flight if it was not held.  One flight was in the AM and the other time it was the PM with no difference.

Thank you. Mmm we are trying to depart 0845. Can I ask why you have to be at the airport 3 hrs before flights? Is it because of the amount of people at the airport?  If this is the case we’re definitely not going to make an early flight. Our invoice says no flights earlier than 9:00am. 

10 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

We did this itinerary with Viking in 2021 -- also on July 3rd -- and loved it. Just reading this thread makes me want to do it again -- just to see what we missed in each of the ports. Don't miss the Skalanes Nature Reserve!

Contact the folks at TellUs@vikingcruises.com. Explain what information you are trying to get and ask them to send you a copy of your Guest Statement (not everyone can access it via MVJ -- or at least I've never been able to). They can also confirm for you the earliest time you can book a departure from KEF.

Personally, I suggest that you plan to arrive a few days ahead to explore the city (or recover from jetlag) and stay a few more to see some of the beautiful places that Viking does not include.

I also suggest that you join the roll call for your sailing. It looks a little quiet now but it will pick up as departure day approaches. Viking Star - July 3, 2023 - Reykjavik to Reykjavik (Iceland's Natural Beauty)

Thank you. We are arriving a couple of days before but do need  to leave on the 10th to Uk. 

will look at the roll call for our cruise. 

1 hour ago, DRJVH said:

Thank you. Mmm we are trying to depart 0845. Can I ask why you have to be at the airport 3 hrs before flights? Is it because of the amount of people at the airport?  If this is the case we’re definitely not going to make an early flight. Our invoice says no flights earlier than 9:00am. 

The growth in passengers and the number of flights has far outpaced the size of the airport.  We have always checked luggage.  That line has always been very long even before you get to the rows that snake back and forth to get to the desks taking at least an hour.  Then there is the security line which takes an hour IF they do not decide to search your bag which they did to a lot of people including us.  Then it is a very long walk to where the international planes depart where sometimes you have to take a bus to your plane and walk up a long staircase to board.  The only flight we ever took that had a direct from gate boarding was Reyjkavik to Bergen.  IF you have carry on only or have access to a priority check in, then you can possibly do it in 2 hours or less.  With carry on only there are kiosks where you can get your boarding pass.  In 2021 we read about an airport expansion there but i doubt if it has been completed in 1.5 years.

• Like 2

As usual TayanaLorna is correct. We did a welcome back cruise in July 2019 and got to the airport more than three hours before our flight (so glad we booked an 11am departure!) and still barely had time for a quick comfort stop after we got to the gate and before they started boarding. 

Luckily, we had access to Delta’s priority checkin lane or I suspect we would have missed our flight. Below are some photos of the lines we encountered.

Keep in mind this was just as things were starting up after some of the pandamnit restrictions were being lowered so some of the time was spent having folks check vaccination cards and such.  So fingers crossed it won’t be that bad now…I’ll find out in mid May when we are returning to the US after a stopover in Iceland to see the three ports we missed on the 2019 cruise. 🤞

1DFDFFC3-06CA-4248-8E03-DCF521AA4652.jpeg

25A7E802-5DA8-4C68-B660-BBE634A41BAE.jpeg

D0CB3659-BA2D-49D3-9641-7F1FB137877E.jpeg

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

As usual TayanaLorna is correct. We did a welcome back cruise in July 2019 and got to the airport more than three hours before our flight (so glad we booked an 11am departure!) and still barely had time for a quick comfort stop after we got to the gate and before they started boarding. 

Luckily, we had access to Delta’s priority checkin lane or I suspect we would have missed our flight. Below are some photos of the lines we encountered.

Keep in mind this was just as things were starting up after some of the pandamnit restrictions were being lowered so some of the time was spent having folks check vaccination cards and such.  So fingers crossed it won’t be that bad now…I’ll find out in mid May when we are returning to the US after a stopover in Iceland to see the three ports we missed on the 2019 cruise. 🤞

1DFDFFC3-06CA-4248-8E03-DCF521AA4652.jpeg

25A7E802-5DA8-4C68-B660-BBE634A41BAE.jpeg

D0CB3659-BA2D-49D3-9641-7F1FB137877E.jpeg

@Clay Clayton, it feels like it but the pandemic hasn’t been going on since 2019 🤧. I believe you mean a Welcome Back cruise in 2021. 🤪. And are you doing Iceland in mid-May? Or do you mean July?

Well, I am not on an Iceland cruise, but I was just there over Thanksgiving.  Yes, the airport is approximately an hour or so from the city, and once there, it does take time to go through all the lines. For all international flights in all airports of the world, I always try to arrive at least three hours early--I am overly focused on promptness.   I will say I arrived an extra hour early at Keflavik, because I had made some purchases, and I wanted to claim my VAT tax, so I had to stand in another line for that first!

The security is the slowest, as the line winds around and around, and everybody has to have their passport checked! You have to walk through all the duty-free shops and then go into the food court area.  Our gate number was not even posted until about an hour before the flight. Once at the gate there are hardly any seats, so all the passengers basically line up to board the plane as soon as they arrive at the gate. We also only had one person to check in all the tickets--a bit of a slow boarding process.  However, I had a great time and all went smoothly.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

@Clay Clayton, it feels like it but the pandemic hasn’t been going on since 2019 🤧. I believe you mean a Welcome Back cruise in 2021. 🤪. And are you doing Iceland in mid-May? Or do you mean July?

Oops, you’re right! Should have been 2021!

And we are actually doing Iceland in both May and July! We are joining some friends on their first TA (Epic on NCL) and after looking at lots of flight possibilities, we settled on flying home from Europe via Reykjavik as the roundtrip ticket starting from there was less than the one way ticket we need to embark on our Viking “Iceland and Norwegian Arctic” itinerary on July 19th.  

We initially thought we would fly one way early to Iceland and visit the ports on the south side of Iceland we missed in 2019 but now we are going to do that on the way home in May and then just arrive on the 18th for the cruise in July.  

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 10:07 PM, DRJVH said:

The Viking Star gets in at 5 am on 7/10 and you have to be out of your cabin by 9 am.  This information was printed on one of my invoice pages.