Live to Partly Live to Oh Well from Celebrity Infinity, Feb 11-25, 2023 Antarctica and Iguasu Falls

BlerkOne

24 minutes ago, KruseWay said:

Loving this thread. How was the crossing and the temperatures? We will be on the Infinity starting next Saturday. Getting VERY excited!!!!

We will be joining you and are also interested in the crossing and temperatures out on deck.  

1 hour ago, KruseWay said:

Loving this thread. How was the crossing and the temperatures? We will be on the Infinity starting next Saturday. Getting VERY excited!!!!

53 minutes ago, sunpsyche said:

We will be joining you and are also interested in the crossing and temperatures out on deck.  

We have had by far the best weather of the Infinity cruises this year. Even at that, it will change several times a day, It is always windy on deck when the ship is underway.

The crossing itself was and is very peaceful with an occasional reminder that it could be rougher.

The first few days of the cruise were scorching hot and then cold, at least to me. Although on my balcony, when the sun was out, it was time to take the layers off at the Antarctic Peninsula. The good thing about layers is you can were the outter layers day after day and since nobody sees what you wear underneath, you are good there, too. 🙂

The key is definitely layers. Mittens over gloves isn't a bad plan, but I didn't have any mittens. I do have rechargeable hand warmers to stuff in pockets

Heavy snow was predicted for Ushuaia, but didn't happen. I might have preferred that to the rain - but even the rain was intermittent. The only constant is change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They opened the Helipad for us in both Antarctica and Elephant Island but it was more crowded than I liked. If you waited long enough, people would get cold and leave but there would often be a shift change at that point. On my balcony, I had plenty of room for binoculars, camera(s), etc., and quick access to shelter when desired.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

We have had by far the best weather of the Infinity cruises this year. Even at that, it will change several times a day, It is always windy on deck when the ship is underway.

The crossing itself was and is very peaceful with an occasional reminder that it could be rougher.

The first few days of the cruise were scorching hot and then cold, at least to me. Although on my balcony, when the sun was out, it was time to take the layers off at the Antarctic Peninsula. The good thing about layers is you can were the outter layers day after day and since nobody sees what you wear underneath, you are good there, too. 🙂

The key is definitely layers. Mittens over gloves isn't a bad plan, but I didn't have any mittens. I do have rechargeable hand warmers to stuff in pockets

Heavy snow was predicted for Ushuaia, but didn't happen. I might have preferred that to the rain - but even the rain was intermittent. The only constant is change.

Thank you @BlerkOnefor taking the time to respond. The coldest I’ve ever been in my life was on the helipad in Alaska and that has worried me a bit. Seems like I’m on the right track with layering and those hand and feet warmers. 

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Thanks so much for the quick and detailed response. We grew up in MinneSNOWta so we have a good feel for layering up. 🙂

1 hour ago, gizmodog said:

Did you see whales?

Yes, but most were always on the other side of the ship! Story of my life. But I did see a number of them.

Honestly, I would have to say I was a little disappointed in how many, given my expectations. But the food is so plentiful that the humpbacks, for example, don't have to bubble net feed like you can see in Alaska.

OTOH, the weather was really incredible, and we're going to Hawaii on a land cruise in a few months and Alaska in September. I can't see penguins there (although puffins are related, Celia says)

Luck is involved, including if you are at the right place at the right time.

51 minutes ago, KruseWay said:

Thanks so much for the quick and detailed response. We grew up in MinneSNOWta so we have a good feel for layering up. 🙂

MSP. The only airport where I have seen ice and snow machinery on display instead of automobiles.

Be careful you don't overheat! Our temps weren't below freezing - no ice on the decks or they wouldn't open the helipad, but the windchill can be something else. For others, the hands and feet are what will feel the cold first. And cheeks, too.

AFAIK, and could tell, ALL of the trips to Volunteer Point by any vendor are virtually the same. People seem to talk about Patrick Watts a lot, and his company seems to be the biggest, but there are several others and even some independents. It's not a great plan, but you even might be able to book something at the dock.