Mini Review - Discovery Princess Jan 28-Feb 4 to Mexico

deultgen

We were also on the 1/28 Discovery Princess cruise.  That was Celebrity Solstice that was with us all week, not Eclipse.  I know this because we were on the Celebrity the week before and walked over from Celebrity to board Discovery.

The meet and greet on Discovery was EXCELLENT.  Certainly the best one we have attended in a long time, even before Covid.

We thought the entertainment in the Princess Theater was up and down.  The Rock Opera was good, the show the last night not so much so.  One thing I don't like about Princess is having to get to the theater at least 30 minutes before the show to get a decent seat, but this is a problem on all Princess ships.

The buffet food on Princess was comparable to the buffet food on Solstice.  However, the MDR meals on Princess were better than on Solstice.  There was no prime rib on Solstice and no Beef Wellington.  

One area where Solstice was better was the cabin.  We had a standard balcony on both ships.  Both the cabin and the bathroom were much bigger on Solstice compared to Discovery.  And the Solstice shower had a glass door instead of a shower curtain on Discovery.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, deultgen said:

The Sanctuary is $20 for a half day, $40 for a full day, per person.  You can rent it either by the day or the entire cruise.  I assume you can use on board credit to pay for it.  

This time last year (we haven't been in the Sanctuary since then) and for years prior the Sanctuary also offered lounges for $30 per day.per person when booking for the entire cruise.  Have they dropped that?

10 hours ago, capriccio said:

This time last year (we haven't been in the Sanctuary since then) and for years prior the Sanctuary also offered lounges for $30 per day.per person when booking for the entire cruise.  Have they dropped that?

I am not sure, we were only interested in a half day

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2023 at 7:06 PM, deultgen said:

So, I would say two things.

1.  Once we were in warmer waters (late day 2), you could look out your balcony and see a spout or two every 15 minutes.  

2.  In (or near) Cabo there were more spouts.  Same with dolphins.  In the Cabo area you could simply follow the whale watching boats and see where they were.  At the same time if you weren't watching for them, you would never know they were there.  

I appreciate the insight.  I feel silly asking follow up questions because I know it's over the top but bear with me.

What would you say is the likelihood of seeing a whale/spout between the ship and where the tenders drop you off on shore?

Am I accurate in saying that the whale watching boats would be more prevalent towards the open ocean than in the bay where the ship anchors?

Trying to set my wife's mind at ease and convince her to go ashore, but I don't want to outright lie either.  If there's a chance the tender boat could unintentionally turn into a whale watching boat that would be valuable information.

20 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

I appreciate the insight.  I feel silly asking follow up questions because I know it's over the top but bear with me.

What would you say is the likelihood of seeing a whale/spout between the ship and where the tenders drop you off on shore?

Am I accurate in saying that the whale watching boats would be more prevalent towards the open ocean than in the bay where the ship anchors?

Trying to set my wife's mind at ease and convince her to go ashore, but I don't want to outright lie either.  If there's a chance the tender boat could unintentionally turn into a whale watching boat that would be valuable information.

I'm not the poster you replied to, but wanted to chime in. The port in Cabo is inside a cove area. The ship is anchored just outside of the cove, actually directly parallel to the famous arch beach I'm sure you've seen a picture of. So you get on the tender, for a very brief ride to the pier.

While I'm sure whales have entered the cove area from time to time, there is so much marine traffic I doubt they want to hang out there. Additionally, there are very strict regulations about how close marine traffic is allowed to get to whales. I'm sure the tender would avoid any area whales have been seen in, again though, it would be fairly unusual for a whale to go into the cove area. They are looking for fish, not people or marine traffic.

I hope that helps!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

I agree with the other post, the chances are very low.