Viking Budapest to Amsterdam patters

bapaleg

We went on the Viking 'Grand European Tour' Budapest to Amsterdam in 2016 but sorry, I didn't keep a copy of the dailies.

It was a jolly enjoyable cruise, but even had I kept a copy of the dailies I don't think they'd be a guide to your cruise as the offerings change from year to year. The tours offered on MVJ or the web site are a better guide to what will be avaiable on your tour.

Edited by pontac
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/8/2023 at 3:51 AM, pontac said:

We went on the Viking 'Grand European Tour' Budapest to Amsterdam in 2016 but sorry, I didn't keep a copy of the dailies.

It was a jolly enjoyable cruise, but even had I kept a copy of the dailies I don't think they'd be a guide to your cruise as the offerings change from year to year. The tours offered on MVJ or the web site are a better guide to what will be avaiable on your tour.

On your cruise what was the dress code for dining?  Are folks able to wear the sweaters and jeans they wore out in port? 

1 hour ago, cruzrbachoua said:

On your cruise what was the dress code for dining?  Are folks able to wear the sweaters and jeans they wore out in port? 

There are no Wardrobe Police on Viking river cruises.  Nobody will bar you from the dining room---it's all very chill and low key.  About half the time I wasn't able to change up before dinner after touring all day, and my low-cut hikers and cargo pants were not a problem in the dining room.  I saw jeans, mostly chino-type pants on the men, slacks on the women, a very few who dressed to the nines and definitely stood out---it's all good.

For reference, we sailed Amsterdam to Basel in October, 4 years ago---so shorts were not an issue.  But I've heard others say that in warmer weather, those in shorts were allowed to eat dinner.

18 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

On all the 12 river cruises I've done with Viking dress has been casual, so the answer to your second question is yes. The passengers are a mix of ages and nationalities, some change out of their day wear but none wear formal clothes. You might see a odd tie on a man but you'll also see polo shirts and sweaters, sometimes all on the same table.

It's your holiday - wear what you're comfortable in, no one will blink an eye.

Here's what Viking have to say

During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; recommended evening dress is “elegant casual.” For ladies, this may include a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; and for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional. 

Some shore excursions visit religious sites that require modesty of dress. To avoid being denied entry, we recommend men wear long pants and refrain from sleeveless shirts; and for women, clothing that covers the knees and tops that are not sleeveless or too revealing.

1 hour ago, cruzrbachoua said:

@pontac thanks ot was the collared shirt for men...DH will have sweaters or dressier type sweatshirt but we hadn't planned on bringing those type shirts for him as I thought there was luggage restrictions for how many bags on an international flight etc

Polo shirts are collared, so there is no need to bring a dress shirt.

16 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

collared shirt for men.

That is from Viking's dress code on their website - but note the all important may include that precedes it. Evening wear for men may include collared shirts, it may not.......

Trust me when I said

23 hours ago, pontac said:

It's your holiday - wear what you're comfortable in, no one will blink an eye.

• Like 3