Swimming with Pigs

chameleon77

On 2/8/2023 at 10:39 AM, Denversail said:

Never understood why people would want to do this. It just sounds disgusting. 

I thought it was just me - not sure what the actual fascination is regarding swimming with pigs. Just another way to part the gullible tourists from their $$$ I suppose. 

On 2/8/2023 at 5:50 PM, farmecologist said:

I thought this was a joke when I first read the topic title...Honestly, very weird.

Agreed - and I am sure that the locals are having a good laugh - all the way to the $$$$ at the Americans that are paying to swim with pigs.

4 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Agreed - and I am sure that the locals are having a good laugh - all the way to the $$$$ at the Americans that are paying to swim with pigs.

Really no different than any other tourist attraction/point of Interest in any other part of the world. Plenty of non-Americans also take that same excursion - and yes, I did it when I visited GSC. And the pigs I saw were well cared for and more than happy to partake in the treats they were given.  Some loved the attention, others were in it just for the fruit snacks but all in all, probably a much better life than their cousins raised on a farm. The caretakers were well informed and went into details about the pigs.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 8:04 PM, julig22 said:

Really no different than any other tourist attraction/point of Interest in any other part of the world. Plenty of non-Americans also take that same excursion - and yes, I did it when I visited GSC. And the pigs I saw were well cared for and more than happy to partake in the treats they were given.  Some loved the attention, others were in it just for the fruit snacks but all in all, probably a much better life than their cousins raised on a farm. The caretakers were well informed and went into details about the pigs.

There is a difference, I can almost see the appeal of the wild pigs of Exuma, ferral pigs that live there on their own for decades. It’s like not being able to see the wild ponies of chincoteague so finding a excursion with some farm ponies brought to a local beach. It’s just not the same.

8 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

There is a difference, I can almost see the appeal of the wild pigs of Exuma, ferral pigs that live there on their own for decades. It’s like not being able to see the wild ponies of chincoteague so finding a excursion with some farm ponies brought to a local beach. It’s just not the same.

My no difference comment was directed to the comment I quoted - the comment about locals laughing all the way to the bank when tourists pay money for seemingly ridiculous activities. IMHO, no more ridiculous than paying to take a bus to see where movie stars live in Hollywood or where something like Game of Thrones was filmed for example.

And unless I'm remembering incorrectly, the pigs at the GSC excursion do come from a local island, where they have always lived, not some farm.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 7:00 PM, julig22 said:

My no difference comment was directed to the comment I quoted - the comment about locals laughing all the way to the bank when tourists pay money for seemingly ridiculous activities. IMHO, no more ridiculous than paying to take a bus to see where movie stars live in Hollywood or where something like Game of Thrones was filmed for example.

And unless I'm remembering incorrectly, the pigs at the GSC excursion do come from a local island, where they have always lived, not some farm.

I have never seen anything in writing about where the pigs are from. I think the pigs at exuma are rare, since no one seems to know where they actually came from all those years ago.

I did it last September and it was awesome!  I can't wait to do it again.  I've told my whole family and we may book a short 3 day cruise just to take the kids.  It is really worth it if you like pigs.  They even had baby piglets to hold and take pictures with.  Super nice people and one of my favorite excursions!

• Like 1