Carnival Horizon Tips, Secrets, Specials or Advice on DIY Port Trips

bostonian19

We just like to enjoy the free pool area at Amber Cove, and I understand that one has recently opened at La Romana, too. If you enjoy snorkeling, the best we've ever done was in Bonaire, with Sea Cow Snorkeling (booked through Carnival). In Aruba, we generally just take a taxi to a beach, but we have done De Palm Island, which is lovely, albeit expensive.

Applies to all ships

SLOW DOWN. Don't be the first, at anything. You do not see more or get a discount for being the first person at your shore excursion rendezvous point.

Plan better, plan smarter. Take some time and pay attention to the HUB app. If you see something typically has an hour wait (Restaurant), plan accordingly from then forward. Don't book when you're hungry, book before you get hungry.

You don't have to get off the ship in every port. Stay on board and take advantage of the empty place.

1 hour ago, bostonian19 said:

Going to Bonaire, Aruba, Amber Cove and La Romana

In Bonaire I definitely recommend renting a Golf Cart, but do it soon. They sell out quick! Bonaire Cruisers is the website. Amber Cove we just rented an umbrella and hung out at the pool, then did some shopping. La Romana we stayed on the Ship. Aruba we went shopping and had Lunch at Iguana Jacks, highly recommend.

On 2/8/2023 at 9:30 PM, bostonian19 said:

Appreciate it, I promise I will post when I get back!

It's not a secret, but my favorite area of the ship and favorite bar on Horizon is the Havana Bar. They also have a small bites buffet lunch of Cuban food. Not as crowded for lunch it I thought versus other venues. 

La Romana has very nice beaches in my opinion. We liked it more than Amber Cove. Did a resort-for-a-day pass at the Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach - all-inclusive. Was about $40/person at the time plus $20 per couple for the shuttle ride there and back (us and another couple went and shared one of those vans, and the driver returned to pick us up at the time we asked). Really sandy beach, very big resort with tons of loungers, and SOOO many fish in the water if you like to snorkel. Huge buffet, lots of drinks, many pools if you don't like the beach. 

• 3 months later...